List Mgmt. Recycled Players for 2016

Remove this Banner Ad

Jansen has said he wants out to Brisbane, walker is likely to go to Carlton and Simpson is most likely delisted.
And it seems we won't have any early picks so after the minimum 3 picks in the draft. I'd expect we will fill the rest with mature ages. Either from state leagues (in the draft) or as delisted free agents.

Will be very interesting to see what Brisbane are willing to cough up for Jansen - if anything - unless Carlton can get involved somehow with Walker.

If not then I think Walker + next year's 3rd rounder for Henderson should get it done, he isn't worth the 1st rounder Tom Petroro is suggesting.

I have this awful feeling that Adcock has been spoken to by us.

He mentioned on Trade Radio he had met with one club, and once a few deals were done it would give him an indication of if he could be offered a deal.

We are the club with the most amount of spots to be filled...

Yes he could play the small defender role well, but I do hope we stick with Bews and co instead

He mentioned on Trade Radio he had met with one club, and once a few deals were done it would give him an indication of if he could be offered a deal.

Yes he could play the small defender role well, but I do hope we stick with Bews and co instead

I agree, we do need to persist with Bews. Was he injured toward the end of the season or was he dropped? Adcock finished the season extremely well though, even playing forward and snagging a few. Would be close to one of the Selwood twins from his time in Brisbane...

Need younger players filling defensive roles considering the age of Lonergan/Mackie/Enright/Taylor - ideally in the >26 bracket - so Adcock not a great choice. If we were to offer him something I really worry it would compromise the ability of a guy like Bews to crack into + cement his spot.

Suckling gone to the western puppies:eek:.
If the Dogs dip down next year Suckling will be absolutely putrid

He needs good players getting him the ball

I understand the issue if we get older players like Adcock or Jamar but the decisions on the past have been made. I'd be happy to get Adcock I'm a big fan of Bews but we really lack any depth in the back half and any delisted free agent would know that they are not guaranteed a game very week. It would hopefully mean Bartel never plays down back again and can spend his time mid/forward.

I understand the issue if we get older players like Adcock or Jamar but the decisions on the past have been made. I'd be happy to get Adcock I'm a big fan of Bews but we really lack any depth in the back half and any delisted free agent would know that they are not guaranteed a game very week. It would hopefully mean Bartel never plays down back again and can spend his time mid/forward.
He'll play back Scott doesn't share your sentiments.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think they will stick with Bews and Co. Adcock is 30 and could only plug a hole for a year but we will want to grow our youngsters.

Out of the players we have delisted so far I think we will be targeting like for like position coverage.

So if we land SS, ZS, PD & LH we will most likely require 2 Def/2 Mid/2 Fwds & 1 Ruckman to keep the balance of the team in check. So logical I could only see a max of 3 recycled players coming our way.

You misunderstand we have the youth policy firmly locked. incoming players will be just VFL coverage if others get injures, not real development. I suppose we could luck one out that turns out good.

I think they will stick with Bews and Co. Adcock is 30 and could only plug a hole for a year but we will want to grow our youngsters.

Out of the players we have delisted so far I think we will be targeting like for like position coverage.

So if we land SS, ZS, PD & LH we will most likely require 2 Def/2 Mid/2 Fwds & 1 Ruckman to keep the balance of the team in check. So logical I could only see a max of 3 recycled players coming our way.

We can still grow our youngsters with quality footballers like Adcock around.....we lose nothing picking him up with one of our later picks surely.

A few clubs should take a look at Spencer White as a recycled player.

I think Woodward & Grimley have already been marked that they will go through the system again.

When is GWS going to announce there delistings?

N
If the Dogs dip down next year Suckling will be absolutely putrid

He needs good players getting him the ball
Not a bad team for him to head to. Boyd, wood & Morris all super courageous so he should slot in beautifully delivering the footy along with Murphy. Sounds very Hawthorn like with those elite ball users coming from half back. But I do agree someone still needs to get it to him.

We can still grow our youngsters with quality footballers like Adcock around.....we lose nothing picking him up with one of our later picks surely.

I get your logic but with Scarlo and Dasher in coaching space would we need Adcock?

We would be better of taking Crowley. We need a good tagger and someone to pass on that knowledge. It would be good to get someone into our squad that use to do Lings role.

I would be very surprised as I don't think that any have done anything to deserve upgrading on last years form. Maybe, if after a good preseason a player performs well through the year, then we may have to revisit the rookies.
Yeah, look, I don't really see any VFL so you'd know better than me what the guys in the reserves deserve.

Just as a matter of practicality, though, if we ended up taking a couple of picks in the 70s or 80s - the question would come down to: is it better to upgrade a Bates-type to the senior list, and take a young guy in the rookie draft, or keep someone like Bates as a rookie and give a kid taken at pick 75 a two year contract?

If we do have those late picks, the list managers will have to decide whether our current rookies, or our inbound late picks are more likely to succeed - and while Wells' recent record with late picks (e.g. Gregson, Gore) is still pretty good, I can imagine them thinking someone like Bates or Delaney is more likely to make it long-term than an 18-yo taken after every other club has exhausted its picks. It's not your usual scenario where a club only needs to recruit a few new players so rookies can be retained/upgraded/delisted without much effect on the club.

No complaints either way, though - it's an exciting time to barrack for the Cats IMO.

I reckon this may be Gold Coast talking to him, think they might want a few experienced types after what has happened up there. He did look OK however when he kicked 4 against us this year.
I think we may need a few forwards if we lose Johnson, Stokes, Walker and Kersten in one hit and throw in the unpredictability of Clark and Vardy
. Grimley, White and Fitzpatrick worth a punt and if we could find a small forward or 2 would be beneficial

Last edited by a moderator:
He fills our desire to bring players with leadership to the club. And he costs us nothing and fills a spot. It potentially wouldn't be the worst decision if we were to go for it.

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. Recycled Players for 2016

Remove this Banner Ad

Back