Redo the 2009 draft.

Remove this Banner Ad

I don't follow either and I would still pick up Martin, Fyfe is good but Martin just has that bit extra, but it is very close.

Personally I would rate them from the ND on performance mostly:

1. Martin
2. Fyfe
3. Talia
4. Jetta
5. Trengove
6. Reid
7. Bastinac
8. Duncan
9. Scully
10. Cunnington
11. Gunstan
12. Christensen
13. Carlisle
14. Shaw
15. Harwood

Don't think Harwood has shown more than the likes of Crameri. However Harwood could develop into our next Black if he gets consistent midfield time. Assuming you have him there based on potential?

Its a pretty reasonable draft and there are a lot of decent players and some very good top end talent, although many of the top players have been wrecked by injury.

Martin simply pops pills and gets suspended when his team needs him most resulting in Richmond losing games it should of won and costing it a finals berth.
27 per game this season taking his injured games out.

Martin hangs out with tools. Is a tool. Will never be captain material.

OK shut up now.

Clearly Fyfe then Martin then a lot of daylight.

Scully wouldn't be in my top ten to be honest, every time I watch GWS he seems to be behind a bunch of their first year midfielders already. I'd take Greene, Treloar, Cogs or Shiels over him without thinking.

Scully will be a gun - I wouldn't even take Greene over him.

It'll take him some time to build up his body and get his knee to full strength and stability.

Greene's a very smart player but I feel he doesn't have a massive impact despite his impressive numbers - I barely noticed him when we played them and he racked up 40ish touches, Scully will be a game breaker.

1. Fyfe
2. Martin
3. Scully
4. Talia
5. Jetta
6. Sam Reid
7. Trengrove
8. Cunnington
9. Christensen
10. Gunston

I must have missed someone, please let me know who it was!

Better
If you want to run comparisons...

Apart from the games Fyfe was injured he averages 27 per game this year. Martin 22.

Martin still plays predominantly outside with about 30% contested possessions.

Fyfe gets almost 60% of his possessions as contested possessions.

Fyfe is more consistent.
Fyfe is a much better contested mark. He is also a much better on and off field leader. Stands up when counted. Makes more tackles than Martin. Much more team oriented.

Martin simply pops pills and gets suspended when his team needs him most resulting in Richmond losing games it should of won and costing it a finals berth.
Better contested mark? Seriously, Dustin would make Fyfe look stupid. Whenever Dusty goes forward he usally get's the best defender for a reason.... You think 1 player getting suspended cost us finals? Your kidding yourself, I'd still take Dusty on sleeping pills then Fyfe. At least we no Dusty won't have a shit shoulder his whole career.

He's a forward.

Didn't debut in 2010 until halfway through the season, was out most of last year with injury and after an awesome preseason this year he had his leg broke in round 4 by a sliding Thomas.

I'm still glad you passed on Rohan for Cunnington.
He's definitely got something, Rohan. (and I don't mean gingervitis OR two first names). Could add a whole new dimension to that forward line.

Better
Better contested mark? Seriously, Dustin would make Fyfe look stupid. Whenever Dusty goes forward he usally get's the best defender for a reason.... You think 1 player getting suspended cost us finals? Your kidding yourself, I'd still take Dusty on sleeping pills then Fyfe. At least we no Dusty won't have a shit shoulder his whole career.

You must be joking - Fyfe is probably the best marking midfielder in the game.

He had something like 42 contested marks last year.

How many touches did he get at the Cattery last year?

2 goals, 12 disposals. I remember that game, he did a couple of really impressive things.

If Rohan had high numbers as a junior I wouldn't be so concerned about him. The fact that he's never been able to find enough of the footy is a worry.

How does he go in the time trials?

Rohan reminds me of Blease - really needs to work on his engine, work rate and defensive aspects.

He's got a good coaching group around him - he'll be fine.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

2 goals, 12 disposals. I remember that game, he did a couple of really impressive things.

If Rohan had high numbers as a junior I wouldn't be so concerned about him. The fact that he's never been able to find enough of the footy is a worry.

How does he go in the time trials?
He had a very good game full stop. I'm not concerned about him not finding the ball a great deal in his first few years as he's been very damaging when he does have it and his defensive work off the ball is very, very good. He'd have had a good year were it not for his leg.

More a consistency of defensive work, from what I've seen his endurance isn't great - therefore he won't give consistent defensive efforts throughout a game, that's fact.

I'm talking defensive spread, etc. not just tackles and smothers.

When he builds his tank it'll come together because I think he has the right intent.

2009 was fairly up and down for Carlton. The positives were getting Henderson (and Lucas) for free in the Fev trade, promoting Jacobs from the Rookie draft (although he only lasted a year :'( ) and taking Casboult (who appears to be coming good) and Tuohy in the Rookie draft (Could also say AJ but I'm not a huge fan of his ..... ).Getting McLean seems to be paying off, to some extent, now too.

Negatives are I don't think Lucas has shown nearly enough to date, and most other picks have been underwhelming (Davies, Kerr and a bunch of Rookies)

You must be joking - Fyfe is probably the best marking midfielder in the game.

He had something like 42 contested marks last year.
Fyfe was ranked 7th last year. Awesome for a midfielder.

Freo supporters who are trying to say Fyfe is heaps better than Martin are kidding themselves. They are different type of players but ability wise hard to separate. Stats wise they are similar and Martins best is better than Fyfs.

Martin came into the game as an 18yo with the body of a 22yo but the tank and aerobic capacity of a 15yo, three years on and has the aerobic capacity of a 19yo. If next year our new fitness guy can get him up to where a 22yo midfielder should be then the upside of Martin would be absolutely massive.

I'd still have Martin as the best from that draft; although he had a bit of a subdued 2012.

From our boys, certainly Crameri has been best perfomed thus far, but geez Carlisle is coming along nicely.

If I could pick one player from that draft it would be Fyfe with absolutely no hesitation. He oozes x-factor but combines it with consistent hard work and excellent reading of the play. For me, the hype surrounding Martin is still a fair way ahead of what he has produced. I think there is a very good chance his actual performances will catch up shortly, but I have no doubts at all on Fyfe.

As for the rest, there are lots of players who are well performed at this stage but it is far too soon to try and put them in a definitive order.

Remove this Banner Ad

Redo the 2009 draft.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back