Player Watch Reef McInnes

Remove this Banner Ad

Think we need to give reef full games up forward and really have a look at him.
And not as a sub for a quarter here or there like he’s been getting
I think he can play and should be definitely retained

Think we need to give reef full games up forward and really have a look at him.
And not as a sub for a quarter here or there like he’s been getting
I think he can play and should be definitely retained
Yeah, I can live with that. A couple of games and see what he can do.
Or, he can feck off back to the VFL.
Not sold on him although I like him.

Give him some centre bounces at senior level and then he can swing forward. Can't be any worse than what's happening in our midfield atm anyway
Yeah, it can be worse.

I don't think anyone has ever suggested he's a KPF.
The fact they have been giving him more midfield time lately at least shows where they think his future could lie. And it yields positive impact. So hopefully they keep building on that.

Everyone has known he isn't a full time forward. He's a tall midfielder who should be attending centre bounces, and then he can float forward to impact as well. And not as a key forward, but third tall is his go.

True. He's certainly fast but doubt he has the tank.
reckon he has enough tank atm to at least rotate in CB a couple times a quarter, then he can go forward. Or even for a half. We gotta try something to change things up.

Our handling of McInnes continues to frustrate me and I don't see much evidence of it being a masterclass in player development.

Whether it be a continued lack of senior opportunity in a year full of injury, to having him seemingly anchored inside f50 as a quasi KPP, we've taken so long to expand his role and build his midfield minutes at VFL level.

Last night was just a continuation of a lack of faith shown in him and when we did introduce him (all to late) we just plonked him in the forward line with the game effectively over.

Yeah that'll do wonders for his confidence and ability to improve his game.

I don't know if McInnes will ultimately be good enough but I do believe we aren't affording him the best opportunity to succeed.
Seeing as he only played 15 minutes why not place him in the centre bounces and see what he can do

I don't think making the sub as a young player helps their development any bit. Why not make it like the 23rd man like the vfl where the extra 5th player is one under a certain age, maybe under 23 years, with no restriction on game time.
Given Fly’s background as an excellent development Coach, I think there’s got to be more to how Reef has been used.
Fly has previously said how potentially damaging it is for young players to be exposed to early.
I therefore feel that Reef is being developed methodically, and that he is in full concurrence.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Given Fly’s background as an excellent development Coach, I think there’s got to be more to how Reef has been used.
Fly has previously said how potentially damaging it is for young players to be exposed to early.
I therefore feel that Reef is being developed methodically, and that he is in full concurrence.
See reef as third tall who could develop his tank to play the odd midfield role occasionally

If you like to lose games. This is the way.

We are losing anyway.

We need to find out sooner or later whether these kids are up to it. Playing Reef as a sub doesn't achieve much.

One of the previous responses mentioned as a defender. Interestingly when he was drafted The Age had him listed as a midfielder/defender. So could be worth exploring.

sub should be scrapped, yet some traditionalists think 18 + 1 on bench was good enough 40-50 years ago.
I reckon there is a lot of pressure now for it to be scrapped, and come march next year, I think we'll see that go to 5 on the bench
But 100% the sub doesn't help anyone.

Thats right, and I do believe come round 1 2025 that's what it'll be.
But given this league takes rules from other sports and comps, throwing up this idea they could throw in and make the 5th player someone under a certain age.
Possibly/probably...but teams will have 2 options:
keep playing the guys that are 30+ because they have the experience, or get more younger players rotating through the AFL.
I reckon there is a lot of pressure now for it to be scrapped, and come march next year, I think we'll see that go to 5 on the bench
But 100% the sub doesn't help anyone.
Personally, 23 is an odd number and I would bring it to 24.

Anyone who watched the last quarter of the ressies yesterday would have seen what Reef can do from the middle. 3 times he just burnt opponents twice linking up for what were 130m plays that should have been rewarded with goals cept that his mates missed the goals he set up. He should be given midfield time at least 50:50 with his forward stints in the seniors. His pace is breathtaking when he uses it.

Well played as a tall forward.
Clearly our club his him listed a KF.

View attachment 2048408

Played him as a key forward out of necessity. We've also been playing WHE, Schultz and Elliott as key forwards.

Wouldn't put any credence on the player profiles posted by the club, especially before players establish themselves. They had Mihocek listed as a key defender when he arrived, can't recall him ever playing there at senior level. They've currently got Josh Eyre listed as a forward, yet he played as a KPD last year. They've got WHE listed as a forward but he's played as much midfield and defence as forward.

Played him as a key forward out of necessity. We've also been playing WHE, Schultz and Elliott as key forwards.

Wouldn't put any credence on the player profiles posted by the club, especially before players establish themselves. They had Mihocek listed as a key defender when he arrived, can't recall him ever playing there at senior level. They've currently got Josh Eyre listed as a forward, yet he played as a KPD last year. They've got WHE listed as a forward but he's played as much midfield and defence as forward.
Yup it changes whenever they feel like it.

Sometimes a mid is referred to a mid or a mid forward. Or a forward.

Some of these titles will be completely different come pre-season too.

Anyone who watched the last quarter of the ressies yesterday would have seen what Reef can do from the middle. 3 times he just burnt opponents twice linking up for what were 130m plays that should have been rewarded with goals cept that his mates missed the goals he set up. He should be given midfield time at least 50:50 with his forward stints in the seniors. His pace is breathtaking when he uses it.

Showed a bit of that burst from stoppages in his first season before he got injured. Love to see him get more opportunity at senior level to show that. His marking was also very good on Saturday.

Remove this Banner Ad

Player Watch Reef McInnes

Remove this Banner Ad

Back