Player Watch Reef McInnes

Remove this Banner Ad

With our aging list and large number of injuries this year, we’d have to be one of the teams that offer the best opportunities?

Not if you don't transition from the old to the new to allow for said opportunities.

It will depend on the direction the club take at years end.

I would hazard a guess they don't want to lose youth that look even remotely capable.

If we could any currency for those two it would be a plus.

Sunken cost fallacy. What we paid for them back then is irrelevant.

Young players who don’t make an impact get delisted all the time when they fail to make an impressions, regardless of the age of the list.

I don’t see two youngsters being moved on who failed to bail their chances, which were multiple btw, as a bad sign.

Imo Reef hasn't failed. Even Fin has had moments although looks to lack that AFL quality.

Neither have been shown the faith for blocks of games non sub, of say a Harrison.

Not if you don't transition from the old to the new to allow for said opportunities.

It will depend on the direction the club take at years end.

I would hazard a guess they don't want to lose youth that look even remotely capable.
Perhaps they want to try Reef in different positions. He hasn't got the tank for midfield. He's not tall enough to be a kpf.

Jen said he was training in defence this morning.

Fin simply hasn't taken his opportunities when given them this year, unfortunately.

To a shoe shop to get some shoes that aren't too big for me.
glass slipper shoes GIF

Y'know I've been a massive fan of Reef and have felt he's been hard done by.

But I also just looked at Footywire and compared Reef with Joe Richards. Its hard not to be dismayed at the comparison - Richards lays more tackles on average, more TI50, more goal assists, more overall disposals and marks and has 3x metres gained.

Comparison: https://www.footywire.com/afl/footy...d2=5&type=A&pid1=6853&pid2=7093&fid1=S&fid2=S

Yes, they have different roles but the numbers speak for themselves, and Reef has every opportunity to be a shorter Jeremy Cameron-type player, leading right up CHF to the square and being a link, or making himself dangerous around goal. His WCE match this year was the standout, but against poor opposition.

Agree with him needing to reinvent himself for 2025 - get a tank, apply more tackle pressure, revolve through CHF and midfield and he would be a vital cog.

Reef has 17cm and 17kg on Richards so not the best comparison regarding roles and total numbers of tackles and pressure acts

… but agree that he needs to take more marks in particular.

That might come with a role on the half forward line rather than deeper forward as he has been playing…

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If you were in Reef shoes and another club offered you games every week where do you go? He'd probably be extremely frustrated that he's either sub or dropped (or both) after every game.
He either works hard and demands a spot or doesn’t.

Up to him.

For some time now people have commented on Reefs lack of tank. I would have thought that he would have done a lot of work on a highlighted deficiency. If I had AFL standard talent and my tank was identified as a weakness holding me back, I would have rectified it quick smart, it’s the simplest deficiency to rectify IMHO. Just saying, how bad does he want it?

For some time now people have commented on Reefs lack of tank. I would have thought that he would have done a lot of work on a highlighted deficiency. If I had AFL standard talent and my tank was identified as a weakness holding me back, I would have rectified it quick smart, it’s the simplest deficiency to rectify IMHO. Just saying, how bad does he want it?
tbf, its improved this year compared to last few years. Another pre-season he needs to keep working on it

I don’t know if this fitness thing is real or not with Reef.
But we do have one of the greatest trainers of all time at the club in Pendlebury.

If a player can’t learn from him then they don’t deserve to be at the club.

I don’t know if this fitness thing is real or not with Reef.
But we do have one of the greatest trainers of all time at the club in Pendlebury.

If a player can’t learn from him then they don’t deserve to be at the club.
I thought someone mentioned he was working with Pendles during the last preseason.

He needs some Bali treatment to loosen up his groin.
Bought this at Eumundi market - works a treat on stiff lower back and glutes

IMG_20240726_171200463.jpg

Don't know how easy it is to get up to AFL midfield endurance for some of the powerful players. Jordy, Petracca, Raynor, Rankine weren't midfield ready at Reefs age. Raynor still isn't. The difference is they were/are outstanding forwards so could still be top AFL players before their endurance was there.

Remove this Banner Ad

Player Watch Reef McInnes

Remove this Banner Ad

Back