Player Watch Reef McInnes

Remove this Banner Ad

Why on earth would the club be trying to stunt his development? I’m sorry, but this is ludicrous. If they didn’t want him, they would delist or trade.

Rather, they keep trying with Reef - a lot and often - and it’s not working out. Or it hasn’t worked out to date.

They know more about his skills, fitness and capability than we’ll ever know. Again, to suggest some sort of deliberate curtailment of his career is ridiculous.
lol this is the worst take ever

"We put Reef down (back) there today, and he looked great down there. His athletic profile suggests he can perform down there really well. He's physical, he's strong and reads the play well." - Andy Otten.

Could prove a master-stroke.
Playing the Murphy role you think?
Its worth preserving with, I think. Would add to his versatility, and helps him get involved, because as we know playing forward can be real lonely at times.

suffered from the same affliction as a junior ..was thrown back, forward & on-ball at the Chargers, as the game dictated.

^^^^^^^^^^
Reef McInnes is a big-bodied inside midfielder who is tied to Collingwood through the Next Generation Academy and one that Pies fans have been talking about for 12 months. Whilst he will naturally progress through to become that inside midfielder - he has all the traits to do so - McInnes spent the majority of his bottom-age year as either a marking forward or rebounding defender, showing off his versatility. It is no surprise he could slot into just about any role and is one that is tipped to cost the Pies a top 30 pick.

He was behind some pretty handy mids at the Chargers when it came to selection. From memory, he only got his midfield opportunities while they were playing champs.

Not gonna lie, it’s still an odd way to interpret my post

Especially given the context within I was talking about the inconsistency of role and selection isn’t doing him any favours.

“If anything, it’s stunting him”

Kinda thing

Like, what we are doing isn’t helping him. It’s probably hurting him.

I don’t think we’re doing it intentionally but it is what we seem to be doing

That’s all just an opinion based on guesswork. We know very little about his interactions with the coaches or the fitness staff. We know very little about the metrics he’s ticked off or is working toward. We know very little about why they’ve used him as they have and how that fits with the program they’ve mapped out for him. I guess we’ll find out at seasons end what the club and Reef think about it all as we navigate the trade period.

Imo he's not a KPF and is more a flanker.

Would also be interested in his mid capability given that's what he was drafted for.
Looked OK in those training clips has pace so defender could be an option. Does he read it well enough?
I don't really know, but strengths wise he could probably play any position on the ground if he could repeat effort, but none if he can't. Game sense another question mark.

Last edited:
That’s all just an opinion based on guesswork. We know very little about his interactions with the coaches or the fitness staff. We know very little about the metrics he’s ticked off or is working toward. We know very little about why they’ve used him as they have and how that fits with the program they’ve mapped out for him. I guess we’ll find out at seasons end what the club and Reef think about it all as we navigate the trade period.

Of course it's an opinion?

That's all almost every post is here

He was behind some pretty handy mids at the Chargers when it came to selection. From memory, he only got his midfield opportunities while they were playing champs.
Their midfield queue had a pick 1, two pick 2s a pick 19 and Reef.

Yet you choose to paint it as a catastrophe in terms of how we manage him, go figure.

Maybe just go back and have a read of the very first post and please tell me where I was catastrophising.

Outside the comment Vicky isolated out of context to infer something I didn't say, everything else was factual?

We don't give him any real consistency in role or selection. That's not something plucked out of thin air.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Not gonna lie, it’s still an odd way to interpret my post

Especially given the context within I was talking about the inconsistency of role and selection isn’t doing him any favours.

“If anything, it’s stunting him

Kinda thing

Like, what we are doing isn’t helping him. It’s probably hurting him.

I don’t think we’re doing it intentionally but it is what we seem to be doing

Maybe just go back and have a read of the very first post and please tell me where I was catastrophising.

Outside the comment Vicky isolated out of context to infer something I didn't say, everything else was factual?

We don't give him any real consistency in role or selection. That's not something plucked out of thin air.

I responded to the above post. When you’re throwing guesses in that include phrases like “stunting him” and “hurting him” then you’re definitely catastrophising.

was looking at Reefs senior stats for the year
with an average of on field time of 62% in 7 games

1.5 goals and 7 disposals per game

thats not that bad, obviously like him to get a little more of the ball, but he does hit the scoreboard
once he gets confidence with being at the level, im sure that he could nearly double his avg possessions ( especially if he gets spurts in the midfield ) and maybe bump his goal ave to 2 per game with more time on the ground

prefer him as a fwd/mid

I've been picturing him in more of an IQ, or Maynard role.
How good would it be if he turned into our new Murphy type player in defence.
think they see him more as a potential 3rd tall defender

loosely as the Howe replacement albeit with more mobility /speed, less stand-on-heads marking capability but still able to intercept, go 3rd man-up & handle the athletic medium-size oppo talls.

Remove this Banner Ad

Player Watch Reef McInnes

Remove this Banner Ad

Back