Player Watch Reef McInnes

Remove this Banner Ad

Waterman and Larkey must be Plugger and Ablett level.

Even in shit teams you get forward 50 entries and often they're with more space to work in.

I do like him as a defensive prospect - don't think he reads it well enough to e initiating.
You’re comparing WC / Nth and the service their mids (Sheezel, Harley) provide their forwards with vfl ‘quality’ on vfl bog grounds …errr ok.

He has gotten hold of a couple vfl games as a dedicated forward but that aside his biggest issue is his tank. Need the acid put on him over summer to improve this but if we can’t see he (as 21 yo) has upside then I give up.

You’re comparing WC / Nth and the service their mids (Sheezel, Harley) provide their forwards with vfl ‘quality’ on vfl bog grounds …errr ok.

He has gotten hold of a couple vfl games as a dedicated forward but that aside his biggest issue is his tank. Need the acid put on him over summer to improve this but if we can’t see he (as 21 yo) has upside then I give up.
He's clearly got talent. But talented guys that don't do much have to improve or they don't survive in the industry. I think he'll probably get a 2 year offer from someone, but wouldn't bet on it.

i somehow have a problem with the club signing Long to an extension, but not having faith in Reef to do the same. Reef has far more upside than Long will ever have.
Has Long been extended?

I thought he was on a short contract which would expire around about now (I guess). So you may be right.

Been hearing “he just needs to build his tank” since 2020. The same as fin “just needs to get stronger” Both reef and fin are entering their 5th seasons. AFL players by then are well established, not struggling. Both get overrated on here because we took them with late firsts and it’s more “hope” than reality. Reality is they both have limitations that mean they likely won’t make it.

Reef had a purple patch in the vfl end of 2023 which gave me hope. He hasnt replicated anywhere near that

It’s a brutal industry. Many get cut way earlier

Been hearing “he just needs to build his tank” since 2020. The same as fin “just needs to get stronger” Both reef and fin are entering their 5th seasons. AFL players by then are well established, not struggling. Both get overrated on here because we took them with late firsts and it’s more “hope” than reality. Reality is they both have limitations that mean they likely won’t make it.

Reef had a purple patch in the vfl end of 2023 which gave me hope. He hasnt replicated anywhere near that

It’s a brutal industry. Many get cut way earlier

Players mature at different rates for a variety of reasons. Checkers wasn’t even on an afl list at the same age as McInnes, Josh Kennedy played a dozen games in his 1st 3 years at Hawthorn, started to show his ability in his 4th after crossing to Sydney.

The only impediment to patience is list size restrictions but the question being asked internally should be will a kid taken in the 2nd or 3rd round of this years draft potentially offer us as much as these guys over the next couple of seasons. HDM and TJ offered us a combined 1 senior game this year, Allan, Ryan and Richards have contributed 10 games over 2 seasons.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Doesn't currently have a contract for 25. Exit meetings held this week...Monday, Tuesday.

I guess we'll hear if/when anything changes.

So we knew straight after exit interview that Begg wasn’t getting another contract but complete silence on that front re Reef?

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

So we knew straight after exit interview that Begg wasn’t getting another contract but complete silence on that front re Reef?

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
Maybe all the exit meetings haven't occurred.

Maybe they've offered something to Reef & he's considering it.

Maybe they don't want to delist Reef.

Plenty of different reasons why there is no update.

Players mature at different rates for a variety of reasons. Checkers wasn’t even on an afl list at the same age as McInnes, Josh Kennedy played a dozen games in his 1st 3 years at Hawthorn, started to show his ability in his 4th after crossing to Sydney.

The only impediment to patience is list size restrictions but the question being asked internally should be will a kid taken in the 2nd or 3rd round of this years draft or at the bottom of the $2 discount discard SSP bin potentially offer us as much as these guys over the next couple of seasons. HDM and TJ offered us a combined 1 senior game this year, Allan, Ryan and Richards have contributed 10 games over 2 seasons.
edited for completeness

The only impediment to patience is list size restrictions but the question being asked internally should be will a kid taken in the 2nd or 3rd round of this years draft potentially offer us as much as these guys over the next couple of seasons. HDM and TJ offered us a combined 1 senior game this year, Allan, Ryan and Richards have contributed 10 games over 2 seasons.
You can’t compare McInnes and macrae to a KPP like Kennedy. There’s no argument KPP take longer.

There’s an old saying, smalls have 5 minutes to show they can play , talls have 5 years to show they can’t.

Fin and reef have had ample opportunities.

Does reef have “traits”? Sure. But so did the browns. They also had weaknesses that made them NQR for the level.

I’m more bullish on reef. He was excellent in the last 6 weeks of vfl last year. But at some point the “he just needs a tank” argument runs out

You can’t compare McInnes and macrae to a KPP like Kennedy. There’s no argument KPP take longer.

There’s an old saying, smalls have 5 minutes to show they can play , talls have 5 years to show they can’t.

Fin and reef have had ample opportunities.

Does reef have “traits”? Sure. But so did the browns. They also had weaknesses that made them NQR for the level.

I’m more bullish on reef. He was excellent in the last 6 weeks of vfl last year. But at some point the “he just needs a tank” argument runs out
I think he means the midfielder Kennedy

I think he means the midfielder Kennedy
Ah my bad I saw checkers and Kennedy and thought the tall one.

Point stands. By 5th season players shouldn’t be struggling. Reef and fin would be outliers to make it from here. Both would do well to get 2 year offers.

I’d still rookie list reef for 1 season as it stands. But it’s 100% last chance saloon

Remove this Banner Ad

Player Watch Reef McInnes

Remove this Banner Ad

Back