Player Watch Reef McInnes

Remove this Banner Ad

So we knew straight after exit interview that Begg wasn’t getting another contract but complete silence on that front re Reef?

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
I think there is a fair chance so see if any offers might come for him. Melbourne enquired last year, so he might be on their radar. I suspect none will come and we may delist and then offer a lifeline as a rookie if they promote Dean to the main list.

Waterman and Larkey must be Plugger and Ablett level.

Even in shit teams you get forward 50 entries and often they're with more space to work in.

I do like him as a defensive prospect - don't think he reads it well enough to e initiating.

seems like one of those guys who prefer/need to be taken to the footy rather than being a creative forward type. Refer previous discussion regarding tank, even if it does improve with age it won't hit midfielder capacity. He could do worse than sit down and have a long chat to Peter McCormack....

Maybe delist and rookie for a year. I can't see anyone offering more than a 3rd rounder for him

Has there ever been a player who we have delisted, then rookied, then came good?

IIRC we have done this a bunch of times and ultimately it hasn’t worked out.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Has there ever been a player who we have delisted, then rookied, then come good?

IIRC we have done this a bunch of times and ultimately it hasn’t worked out.
Plus have we ever done it with an uncontacted player? It's a mechanism we use to turn a rookie list vacancy into a senior list vacancy with blokes we don't really want but whom are contracted. Macrae and Johnson are the two we'd consider this year.

If you do it with a youngster who you think might kick on, you're turning them into a DFA for ever. There was talk on here of doing it with Richards last year. He'd now be worthless in trade if he nominates Port and he might get a bit better contract offers as he'd have no trade price attached - thus more likely to walk for nothing.

Had some good games but don’t totally disagree either. Some players play better at the higher level. But also, was played as a forward almost the entire year. Hard when the VFL team is terrible.
This is said a lot, but who are these players?

Some would say Joe Richards, but I think we'll be waiting a while to see him have a best on ground 6 goal game in the AFL.

So reading this, people want to give him a 5th even 6th year to prove himself. We’ve seen what he’s got and it isn’t much.

Murphy didnt establish himself until his 4th year, in a side that finished near bottom, from that point on he was a mainstay. people were calling for his head before he had played 20 games

Reef has been trying to break into a strong line up with minimum opportunity, qtr and a bit here and there. in that time he has averaged 1.5 goals a game.
if he had the luxury of what either Long, Bytel and Sullivan had, a decent crack at it with near 70% game time, he too may have established himself in the side by now

give him an extra year, has the talent. confidence is a huge thing in football, just needs to know he belongs

IMO, Kreuger has been tapped on the shoulder to explore his options based on his management organizing an article after exit interviews.
Regarding Reef, IMO he performed well this year when called apon to play AFL but at 21 his tank still needs development.

Obviously, the club will be tracking his progress and I assume he has been told he has much to work on. Reef could find opportunity at another club but I hope he stays and works through it.

Reef and AJ are solid medium forward depth.

Remove this Banner Ad

Player Watch Reef McInnes

Remove this Banner Ad

Back