Oppo Camp Regular Non Eagles Discussion V2

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wonder how much Kennett's relationship with Clarkson (or lack thereof) influenced the decision to pick Mitchell over the greatest coach of the century.

So Caro was right after all. Good for her.

The question now is who from Hawthorn fed her the information and why. Seems clear people at the club wanted Clarkson gone and were prepared to set fire to $1m to make it happen

It had better ******* be part of the soft cap.
100%

My understanding is it is so Mitchell takes over from the greatest coach of the modern era with a $1m handicap in his first year that will make it hard for him to have decent assistants

100%

My understanding is it is so Mitchell takes over from the greatest coach of the modern era with a $1m handicap in his first year that will make it hard for him to have decent assistants

Maybe he can get Simmo as an assistant. We all know Mitchell single-handedly won the 2018 flag, but surely Simmo played at least a strong supporting role.

Laura Spurway

@laura_spurway

·
6m

We’ve been told many #Hawthorn staff & players were totally blind sighted with news of Clarkson’s departure. Some didn’t know until post training session, despite being on track with media crews gathering. Captain Ben McEvoy had no comment as he was ushered away
@7NewsMelbourne

You could never picture WC doing this. They cop a lot from supporters but they right the ship more times than not.

Laura Spurway
@laura_spurway

·
6m

We’ve been told many #Hawthorn staff & players were totally blind sighted with news of Clarkson’s departure. Some didn’t know until post training session, despite being on track with media crews gathering. Captain Ben McEvoy had no comment as he was ushered away
@7NewsMelbourne

You could never picture WC doing this. They cop a lot from supporters but they right the ship more times than not.
Isn’t it blindsided?
Plus, don’t know how anyone couldn’t see this being the outcome from the moment it was announced?! 😂

Hawthorn 2022 premiers now that GOAT coach S.Mitchell has full reigns? Won’t need any assistants.

In other news, would Clarko be a realistic option for us in some sort of coaching director type setup? Don’t know how itd work with the soft cap but I reckon he’d add a bit of hardness to the coaching staff and more of a winning mentality. Also might be good for him to get out of the Melbourne bubble towards the end of his career?

Hawthorn 2022 premiers now that GOAT coach S.Mitchell has full reigns? Won’t need any assistants.

In other news, would Clarko be a realistic option for us in some sort of coaching director type setup? Don’t know how itd work with the soft cap but I reckon he’d add a bit of hardness to the coaching staff and more of a winning mentality. Also might be good for him to get out of the Melbourne bubble towards the end of his career?

Would love to get him over here, but someone like a Carlton/Collingwood/GWS will pay big money to make him their next coach

I think his kids are in the latter stages of high school so probably Vic based only for the time being

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Would love to get him over here, but someone like a Carlton/Collingwood/GWS will pay big money to make him their next coach
So true, however he has had many years under pressure and some what isolated from his family as happens - he may look kindly at a less hands on role?
We can only try.

Who are the premiership coaches to have moved on and had success???

Malthouse to Collingwood was good but then to Carlton was terrible.

can’t think of anyone else who had success.

Who are the premiership coaches to have moved on and had success???

Malthouse to Collingwood was good but then to Carlton was terrible.

can’t think of anyone else who had success.

Matthews at Collingwood then Brisbane

Worsfold
Roos
Sheedy
Pagan
Blight

are all premiership coaches that went on to coach another club without success

Malthouse is also the last premiership winning coach to have coached previously - since then Scott, Clarkson, Longmire, Beveridge, Simpson and Hardwick were all at their first job as coach

Blight is the last coach to win a premiership after not winning one at his previous club

What are the odds that he has already agreed to coach another teram - hence buy me out now.
Why would he do that after saying he would honour his contract?
It's obvious he was pushed out.

He doesn't need to agree to coach another club early.
He can wait and pick and choose.

Why would he not coach again when he has said said had the passion?

He's getting 1.2 million next year for nothing.
He'll either have a break or get straight back into it.

You really think he'd move his family interstate for a pay cut?
Would also undermine our coach.

Last edited:
Why would he do that after saying he would honour his contract?
It's obvious he was pushed out.

He doesn't need to agree to coach another club early.
He can wait and pick and choose.
Not saying he has, just speculating that clubs may have approach him as they would feel free to do, if this coinsided with a growing rift at Hawthorn he may have seized the moment. He has honoured his contract. They have paid him out.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back