Oppo Camp Regular Non Eagles Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Really feel for Brisbane fans here, I’m trying to picture how ******* angry I would be if that was us.

Agree, no fan should ever have to go through that.

I would be at the point where I would burn down VFL house just to piss on its ashes.

Thankfully, the response and opinion from the entire footballing public outside of Geelong appears to be unanimous in its savagery of one of the worst umpiring calls the game has ever seen.

He is dead set actively campaigning for the title of biggest knob in the AFL. His ambient knobishness has always been there, but he's really gone next level in the last season or two.

"ambient knobishness" 👍

So let's just recap:

S.Hocking is GM of football operations. He is the boss of the umpire's boss. He is also Geelong through and through.​
If Geelong went 0-2 tonight, history over the past 10 years would give them a less than 9% chance of making finals this season.​
Geelong wins due to one of the worst umpiring non-calls in front of goal with 20 seconds left to play.​

Even if there is nothing sinister involved, the optics don't look great.

I’m fairly desensitised to the corrupt nature of this “competition” now, honestly I burst out laughing watching it 🤷‍♂️ Sad but true.
Until clubs band together and try to invoke some sort of action, nothing will change. And sadly with half the league in insecure financial shape, it would take a brave club to go against the VFL.

Anyway, unfortunate for Brisbane, but any game a flag rival loses helps. Unexpected bonus with both them and Geelong losing last week. If we can scrounge a win this week, that would be terrific 👍

So let's just recap:

S.Hocking is GM of football operations. He is the boss of the umpire's boss. He is also Geelong through and through.​
If Geelong went 0-2 tonight, history over the past 10 years would give them a less than 9% chance of making finals this season.​
Geelong wins due to one of the worst umpiring non-calls in front of goal with 20 seconds left to play.​

I know Garry Hocking's link to the Cats, what's Steve's?

Watching that last 40 second snippit and I cant think of a more obvious worse decision off the top of my head. It was such a simple call. Player got tackled and he threw it up with one hand. I've watched 3/4 of a single game this year and its all just going to hell. RIP. AFL.

So let's just recap:

Hamish McLaughlin said at half time (during his interview with the auskicker kid) that he was a big Cats fan. Made me wonder if Gil supporters them too.

Last seasons loss vs the dogs springs to mind, with the non-review of that goal

This is 100 times worse, because the non review is at least debatable (sort of). That was as black and white as you could get.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

So let's just recap:

I am not sure about the optics. All football people have a club. Do we check what team umpires support? Make them swear under oath?

It’s far fetched to think that umpire was concerned about his boss’ boss thoughts in that split second.

Optics is optics. Doesn’t make it fact.

For what it’s worth, I think it was a clear free kick to Brisbane but let’s not and make it some conspiracy that the umpire put together in a millisecond. It was a mistake.

Brisbane have every right to feel robbed, but they also did waste numerous opportunities in front of goal. Hipwoods open goal the most glaring. Simply has to nail those easy ones as a key forward.

Control the things you can control. Umpires make mistakes, both ways. If you have to rely on a free kick to win it you probably didn’t deserve to win in the end. Can’t afford to give teams a jump like the lions did tonight. The first quarter lost them the game, not an umpire.

FWIW The Selwood goal was far far worse, but it won’t get the same level of controversy because it was earlier in the game.

IIRC the same thing happened to the lions the last time they went to the cattery. Contentious HTB decision not paid in the closing stages, which could have given the lions a shot to win.

I appreciate that you make your own luck to a degree, I’m usually on board with control what you can control as a sentiment, but when it’s that ****ing heinous it’s just impossible to stomach. Can’t not feel sick for Brisbane.

Control what you can control also means if you tackle a guy dead to rights you’ve controlled what you can control and can reasonably expect the reward for it. Some real howlers in that fourth quarter but that’s about the worst non called HTB/throw I’ve ever seen.

The million dollar question now is will the AFL tick it off?

It was such an obvious and unifying mistake, the whole football world can see it was wrong, they almost have no choice but to say it was a mistake. However to do so would be to acknowledge that a team was robbed of a victory and that the umpires are fallible, something the AFL has never been willing to do.

My bet is it’s described as a 50/50, tough call, but the player made a genuine attempt having not had enough prior opportunity so they can understand why the umpire made the call. A real fence sitter of a statement.

To be fair to the ump, Blicavs has less than a second from receiving the ball to being tackled, and in those instances those disposals are almost always let go, this one just gets plenty of focus because it was (a) a certain goal to the Lions had it been paid (well, probably certain(?!), they were not kicking well) and (b) happened with only a few seconds left where a free kick would have sealed the game.

To put it another way - we'll see dozens of these in the centre in our game against the dogs on Sunday, and all of them will also be let go too.

After seeing all the missed penalised throws in the Geelong game ,

Should the AFL change the rules to speed the game up by allowing players to throw the ball with no penalty now ??

The players want it and umpires only randomly penalise throws ..

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

To be fair to the ump, Blicavs has less than a second from receiving the ball to being tackled, and in those instances those disposals are almost always let go, this one just gets plenty of focus because it was (a) a certain goal to the Lions had it been paid (well, probably certain(?!), they were not kicking well) and (b) happened with only a few seconds left where a free kick would have sealed the game.

To put it another way - we'll see dozens of these in the centre in our game against the dogs on Sunday, and all of them will also be let go too.
I don't think the decision in isolation was concerning, just when compared to the way holding the ball had been adjudicated differently for both teams. I mean a Brisbane player got pinged holding the ball when he picked up a loose ball and was tackled immediately. Then you have Guthrie being spun around twice and handing the ball to Selwood and the throw at the end being called play on

I think we are going to have to get used to illegal disposal not being called from here on in. It’s been this way since 2016, we should be used to it by now.

like I always say, the umps will call HTB if you pick it up and fail to dispose causing a stoppage. Doesn’t matter whether you have prior.

the umps will NOT penalise players for letting go of the ball when tackled so long as it doesn’t cause a stoppage.

umpires have been told to reduce stoppages. It is the AFL’s ultimate goal.

I think we are going to have to get used to illegal disposal not being called from here on in. It’s been this way since 2016, we should be used to it by now.

like I always say, the umps will call HTB if you pick it up and fail to dispose causing a stoppage. Doesn’t matter whether you have prior.

the umps will NOT penalise players for letting go of the ball when tackled so long as it doesn’t cause a stoppage.

umpires have been told to reduce stoppages. It is the AFL’s ultimate goal.

This one seems more like an issue because it looks like more of a throw than a drop. If it got knocked out in the tackle you could argue the prior opportunity angle, this looked like he had his hand underneath the ball and made an upwards movement.

This one seems more like an issue because it looks like more of a throw than a drop. If it got knocked out in the tackle you could argue the prior opportunity angle, this looked like he had his hand underneath the ball and made an upwards movement.
Yeah it totally should have been a free, but it’s not something I can see the umps trying to correct going forward. If anything there’ll be more of these

The million dollar question now is will the AFL tick it off?

It was such an obvious and unifying mistake, the whole football world can see it was wrong, they almost have no choice but to say it was a mistake. However to do so would be to acknowledge that a team was robbed of a victory and that the umpires are fallible, something the AFL has never been willing to do.

My bet is it’s described as a 50/50, tough call, but the player made a genuine attempt having not had enough prior opportunity so they can understand why the umpire made the call. A real fence sitter of a statement.
AFL won't even address it. The COVID scare will be the focus to deflect from the issue.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back