Removing interstate clubs from FTA broadcast

Remove this Banner Ad

I wish 7, 9 and 10 split the 9 games between the 3 of them. Every game on FTA on some channel. Fox can have them all with an option for their own commentary and no ads.

An average round looking like:
Friday Night - 7
Sat Arvo 1 - 9
Sat Arvo 2 - 10
Sat Twilight - 7
Sat Night 1 - 9
Sat Night 2 - 10
Sun Arvo 1 - 9
Sun Arvo 2 - 10
Sun Twilight - 7
You really don’t understand business from a financial sense

It just means they're in the same FTA pool as the other clubs. It doesn't mean they're not going to be seen on FTA again, it just suggests there's a chance they will lose out on having every single game aired on FTA.

No Victorian club gets a deal that good.
Have North been on FTA at all this year apart from Good Friday?

I think the problem would be that smaller clubs like Fremantle and Port would get shafted like the smaller Vic clubs do. Also the WA clubs get a lot of Sunday twilight games which aren't FTA

If this is what's needed to keep the game away from Paramount+ then so be it.
Much rather Paramount/10 take over then I don't have to feel dirty lining Murdoch's pockets every time I use Kayo.

Have North been on FTA at all this year apart from Good Friday?

I think the problem would be that smaller clubs like Fremantle and Port would get shafted like the smaller Vic clubs do. Also the WA clubs get a lot of Sunday twilight games which aren't FTA
Or its a ploy by Fox to get Ch7 to produce more Port/Crows/Freo/Eagles games so that Fox get more games with the big vic clubs.

Say it forced ch7 to produce at least 4 games a year featuring each club, and would include 1 showdown/derby.

Have had Kayo for ~4 years or so. Cheaper than having to go to the pub and have a drink each time you want to watch your team.

Also, worth noting, I haven't watched FTA for a number of years now and don't even have an antenna hooked up to any of my TVs. It's a generational thing IMO

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If you are going to suggest a Victorian bias, it's probably a wise idea to look at overall numbers by club. The two teams with the highest number of FTA games this year so far are Sydney and GWS - 18/19 games on FTA. Doesn't take a genius to figure out what's going on there. Both teams have only had one game so far this year that wasn't FTA. Port are doing pretty well with nine - ahead of Collingwood, Geelong, Essendon and Hawthorn. West Coast, Adelaide, Fremantle and Gold Coast near the bottom but North Melbourne last with just the two.

(Happy to stand corrected on my numbers - I quickly knocked up a spreadsheet from here)

If you are going to suggest a Victorian bias, it's probably a wise idea to look at overall numbers by club. The two teams with the highest number of FTA games this year so far are Sydney and GWS - 18/19 games on FTA. Doesn't take a genius to figure out what's going on there. Both teams have only had one game so far this year that wasn't FTA. Port are doing pretty well with nine - ahead of Collingwood, Geelong, Essendon and Hawthorn. West Coast, Adelaide, Fremantle and Gold Coast near the bottom but North Melbourne last with just the two.

(Happy to stand corrected on my numbers - I quickly knocked up a spreadsheet from here)

How do the games rate - thats the value measure for FTA, e.g Sydney.

I think McLaughlin's on 360 tonight, wonder if the weasel or the slob will put it to him?

He won’t do shit. He works for Pay TV - why would he promote the game staying on FTA?

This whole ‘news cycle’ is just a Channel 7 negotiating ploy to force the league to bend to ‘public unrest’ about the prospect of ‘AFL States’ not being able to watch the game for free.

While I’m lucky enough to be able to afford to pay for Kayo, I think if it’s REALLY as important as some people make it out to be that they are provided every game their beloved team plays live on TV…that they may be inclined to pay for that opportunity.

It’s 2022. You’ve had 30 years+ to get your head around the prospect of having to pay for sport on television. Considering those who complain the loudest are also unlikely to be putting money into their clubs via actually attending games or buying memberships, then ya know….jog on.

I don’t have a problem with home games being on delayed telecast to incentivise people to attend, however they still need to be available on FTA.

Majority of the fans depending on a whole range of reasons wont be in a position to attend games however that shouldn’t prevent them from being able to still watch them on FTA.

Any deal like the proposed would lose more fans than any added funds from streaming services will gain and result in a net loss.
Ask North fans how many games they have on FTA this year.

Ask North fans how many games they have on FTA this year.

That’s due to them being on the bottom of the ladder and the nature of being rewarded for finishing higher. It’s not a measure specifically targeting North. If they were in the top 4, they would be getting FTA.

This new proposed agreement is on the basis of the ongoing complete removal of FTA games in two footy crazy states for those home teams.

Imagine if the powers to be simply decided no Vic games would be available on FTA in Vic, it would simply never happen.

It’s a crap idea. A two-team state should FTA broadcast all 42 relevant games. Sacred!

Victoria having 10 clubs is their own unique mess, it should have no bearing on the other markets.

Why would the Pay TV companies simply concede those games to FTA though?

They are guaranteed to attract viewers (ie subscribers) in those states.

It’s a business, not a public service - no matter how much Channel 7 might like to pretend they don’t exist to sell advertising space.

Remove this Banner Ad

Removing interstate clubs from FTA broadcast

Remove this Banner Ad

Back