Replacement for Lynch?

Remove this Banner Ad

I think Naitanui needs to be #1 ruck, with Cox/Lycett as a secondary (if/when Cox slows down in a few years)..

I get the feeling that Naitanui thrives on the #1 ruck responsibility - and he certainly did it very well in the finals (vs collingwood and Geelong) when Cox was well below 100%.

It may be a possibility that Cox 'replaces' Lynch in a couple of years (for a short term) - and plays deep fwd. i.e. Kennedy up the ground (in the Lynch role), Darling floating and Cox deep. Lycett and Naitanui resting and rotating in the ruck.

Option 1- Lycett
Option 2- Tom Curran(draftee)

That's it.
Darling is perfect as a 3rd tall basically can't be stopped, why pigeon hole him???
Kennedy could play deep but his tank is his strength so why take that away???
Naitanui resting forward is a good option but his explosiveness out of the center is far more important.

ATM Lycett could play deep forward and back up ruck to Naitanui if cox can't play. Works perfectly IMHO

Lynchy is the most underrated player in our history.

lynch had a great season, no doubt, but that's crazy-talk.

we won't win a flag by relying on him. i can see darling spending most of his time on a flank and up the ground in a similar role but we really need him and a couple more targets to fire to be competitive.

hopefully both lycett and nicnat can be effective rotating through a KPF once lynchy fades into the distance. honestly, i'm not expecting big things out of him in 2012.

we won't win a flag by relying on him. i can see darling spending most of his time on a flank and up the ground in a similar role but we really need him and a couple more targets to fire to be competitive.

hopefully both lycett and nicnat can be effective rotating through a KPF once lynchy fades into the distance. honestly, i'm not expecting big things out of him in 2012.

Just so you know, we actually have won a flag relying on lynch, you know that and the 45 odd goals he kicked in the second half of the 2006 season plus the finals.

Just so you know, we actually have won a flag relying on lynch, you know that and the 45 odd goals he kicked in the second half of the 2006 season plus the finals.
This is true.

Should have added the caveat, with our current midfield and without Kennedy.

Lynch didn't need to be brilliant, just solid with the midfield we had. The same goes for most teams with the clear best midfield in the comp.

As for our squad now, we again just need Lynch to play his role which is lead, mark and if that is not possible crash the pack and allow our HFF/mids to mop up and deliver inside 50.

I think when Lynch goes, Kennedy will become our semi permanent CHF fixture with others rotating through the role of playing deep.

This is true.

Should have added the caveat, with our current midfield and without Kennedy.

Lynch didn't need to be brilliant, just solid with the midfield we had. The same goes for most teams with the clear best midfield in the comp.

As for our squad now, we again just need Lynch to play his role which is lead, mark and if that is not possible crash the pack and allow our HFF/mids to mop up and deliver inside 50.

I think when Lynch goes, Kennedy will become our semi permanent CHF fixture with others rotating through the role of playing deep.

Lynch crash a pack??? well i spose we have waited ten years for him to do it whats one more.
If he was any softer he would wear pink boots.

Heh, I stand by my comment.

Will probably finish his career with at least 200 games and 300 goals. Currently sits on 188 games and 248 goals, so give him a couple of years in an improving side and he should get there. When he retires he should sit behind only Peter Sumich as our most prolific key forward. But he has not only played full forward and centre half forward, but centre half back, in the ruck and midfield too, so at the very least I'd say he's the most versatile player we've ever had. And apart from his stint in defence way back in 2004, he's earned Brownlow votes in every position he has played.

Plus he swore on live TV after the 06 Grand Final :thumbsu:

And yet when it comes to choosing a "Best Ever 22", most people have Sumich at FF and Mitchell White at CHF. White played fewer games than Lynchy, kicked fewer goals, and earned fewer Brownlow votes. The most goals White ever kicked in a year was 37, whereas Lynchy is one of only four (correct me if I'm wrong, the others are Sumich, Matera and LeCras) Eagles to have kicked more than 50 in a year twice. That's why I say Lynchy is the most underrated player in our history (although strong arguments can be made for guys like Tony Evans, but their contribution is usually recognised by the tragics like myself who still re-watch the 92 and 94 finals every now and then :eek:)

Lynchy :thumbsu:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Lynch crash a pack??? well i spose we have waited ten years for him to do it whats one more.
If he was any softer he would wear pink boots.
I wouldn't say he is soft.

He's more than willing to contest and get dirty when need be.

He's just not that vicious type that his beastly physique would suggest.

There was that one report a few years back (against Hawthorn?), where he was proper vicious and it looked really, really bad because he doesn't exhibit any subtlety to disguise his intentions. You might of noticed finesse is not one of Q's strong suits. :)

I think that's why he isn't putting knees through packs etc.

Had a sensational 2011, crashed packs too contested marks everywhere was on of our most important and underrated players this season. His improvement, but also the improvement in all our key tall's contested marking was nothing short of remarkable. How it happened in just one preseason I don't know - kudos to the coaching staff who implemented a successful contested marking program.

have you ever seen a game where you thought "gee, lynchy has really pushed himself to his absolute limit"?
Yeah, bu not as frequently as I'd like, but then, I'm not covering the same amount of ground as the Q. He covers a shit load of space and generally works really hard. Big tank for a big bloke, also his agility, stopping and turning power are awesome. Great for the Press.
Lynch works hard enough for mine.

Darling, Kennedy, McInnes seems to be the future of our tall forwards. Darling plays taller than he stands and loves to crash the packs, a bit like Kennedy. From what I've seen of McInnes he has a good set of hands and is quite mobile so with a good engine he would be a good Lynch replacement, particularly in a couple of years when Lynch will be probably retiring.

I really hope that players like McGovern Hamp and Mc Innes get a chance to play in the preseason. I haven't seen any of them play (much anyway) and I want one ( or more) of them to develop as backups (at the least) to Kennedy, Lynch and Darling.

have you ever seen a game where you thought "gee, lynchy has really pushed himself to his absolute limit"?

Round 1 this year versus North - set the tone for the year

Every player was stuffed - and it was only Lynch who moved on the ball and made marking contest after marking contest late in the game and forced the ball over the boundary line.

Was an incredible effort and completely undervalued by everyone still used to his 2010 year.

Remove this Banner Ad

Replacement for Lynch?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back