Replacements for pav

Remove this Banner Ad

Oct 7, 2005
Too close to Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Bengals,Kings,Foxes.
When do Freo look at replacing Pav knowing that he could/will eventualy leave.Imo next year we should start at looking for chf's because good ones are hard to find and we will need two.It could take a couple of years to get them then they we might have to develop them.

dockers_bengals said:
When do Freo look at replacing Pav knowing that he could/will eventualy leave.Imo next year we should start at looking for chf's because good ones are hard to find and we will need two.It could take a couple of years to get them then they we might have to develop them.

The harbinger of bad tiddings are we?

Pray tell if you have inside info of this??

I thought he was comfy here???

He has always stated that one day he will head back home to finish his career....

He is contracted till next year so hopfully we can retain him for a few more seasons after that...

On the brightside we would be getting a sh@t load in return from either port or the crows...

Settle down just asking a off season question to think over.;) He has to retire one day.Do we wait till he's 28 or do they plan earlier?Its not going to be a quick fix.YEep h.p and polak will be back bigger and better

dockers_bengals said:
Do we wait till he's 28 or do they plan earlier?Its not going to be a quick fix.YEep h.p and polak will be back bigger and better

who needs to plan when we've got taraaannnttt!!!

lol na just jokes...

I guess we do have to keep a lookout for some younger CHF's as i cant see anyone on our current list who could take that position....

only maybe Johnson??

dockers_bengals said:
Settle down just asking a off season question to think over.;) He has to retire one day.Do we wait till he's 28 or do they plan earlier?Its not going to be a quick fix.YEep h.p and polak will be back bigger and better
Pav cannot be replaced. Simple as that.

I believe he will see out his career at Freo, but when he does retire the window will be closed for a while at least. That is why recruiting Tarrant was a great move. Even if we had of got a real gun with pick 13, he would have only have started playing his best football after Pav had left.

Pav (and to a lesser extent Hase and JLo) is our premiership window. The good news is that he has about 5-7 good years left in him. Also, the bulk of our more talented players are in the same age bracket or younger, so we won't be wasting his prime years trying to build a team around him.

The team is there, the time is now. Can't wait for 07.

dockers_bengals said:

Few issues here.

First he has always said he wants to play some stage of his career back home.
My guess is the final stage age 29-32ish.
When that comes around we take the crows to the cleaners for him....

As far as replacing the guy goes, impossible to plan.
He is a once a every 2 drafts kind of player if that.

Securing the first pick in a future draft wouldnt be enough to plan to "replace" him.
Ultimately clubs just basically get lucky when they get players like Pav or Judd...You take a promising player and hope he develops.

sabre_ac said:
Few issues here.

Securing the first pick in a future draft wouldnt be enough to plan to "replace" him.
Ultimately clubs just basically get lucky when they get players like Pav or Judd...You take a promising player and hope he develops.
He has never said he will play out his career in Adelaide. He merely said that he has not completely ruled it out.

He has never said he will go home - just that the possibility that he may go home will always be there, depending on the situation at the time. i.e. if Freo is successful or not... I reckon he'll be a one-club player. Feel it in me waters... ;)

ImperialPurple said:
He has never said he will go home - just that the possibility that he may go home will always be there, depending on the situation at the time. i.e. if Freo is successful or not... I reckon he'll be a one-club player. Feel it in me waters... ;)

I seem to remember him saying he would like to play in front of his home at one stage.
Even alluding to playing his twilight years for the crows...
I suppose time will tell.

sabre_ac said:
Few issues here.

Sabre Pav is a once in a lifetime player- can play anywhere - AA at fullback, AA in the midfield, AA in attack. You won't see another like PAV
He along with belly are our A grade players.

And like Judd he deserves to play in a premiership.

wehavethepassion said:
Sabre Pav is a once in a lifetime player- can play anywhere - AA at fullback, AA in the midfield, AA in attack. You won't see another like PAV
He along with belly are our A grade players.

And like Judd he deserves to play in a premiership.

Totally agree

That was why I said you cant plan to replace the great man.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

This is the silliest thread I can recall in a long time. I know the gap between trade week and the draft is boring, but bloody hell. Pav has said that he will probably return to Adelaide because that is home, but it will probably be after he retires.

Pavlich is 24, so unless he gets seriously injured he has another 7 or 8 years to go. But if Pav was to get injured, or return to the midfield, then Murphy, Drum,Tarrant,Johnson and JLo have the ability to cover his absence. Connolly has said previously that Murphy's best position is CHF, and Tarrant takes a lot of marks outside 50, so we have the optuions to allow Pav to play onball next year.

It would be very difficult for Pavlich to return to Adelaide even if he wanted to. Unless the crows finished in the bottom 4 it would take one hell of a deal for us to agree. We would want atleast 3 x top 10 picks, and it would probably be detrimental to the crows short term future to trade away 4-5 of their best 22 to aqcuire those picks to lure home one player. Would we give up Mundy, Peake, Murphy and Schammer for Judd?

He has spent his entire adult life in Perth, I have said this before and I will say it again. His girlfriend has to get preggers, that will keep him in Perth! :)

i recall reading an article in the local paper by the man himself, and he said

"whether it is during my playing career, or after it's over, I will eventually return home to Adelaide".

dockers_bengals said:
The club is already looking for his replacement. Trust me -- if they could find another Pavlich and recruit him, they would. The problem seems to be the other 15 clubs.

Personally, I think the guy everyone will be lauding next year will be Murphy. You don't kick 70+ goals in the WAFL as an 18 year old without having some serious talent. If he can consistently produce this season's form he is another 50 goal a year forward.

Remove this Banner Ad

Replacements for pav

Remove this Banner Ad

Back