Retro ‘Menacing Hawk’ jumper to be worn V Pies

Remove this Banner Ad

You are not really a fan of many things HFC do though.
I am though. And I agree, this is a horrible jumper to be wearing at our own home game in front of a big crowd playing the reigning premiers with a finals spot on the line. We should be wearing our traditional brown and gold home kit.

This “retro” jumper much better suited to the away game in Canberra against the Giants. Or better yet, the bin.

I am though. And I agree, this is a horrible jumper to be wearing at our own home game in front of a big crowd playing the reigning premiers with a finals spot on the line. We should be wearing our traditional brown and gold home kit.

This “retro” jumper much better suited to the away game in Canberra against the Giants. Or better yet, the bin.

Hear you, but one off jumpers/merch sell enormous well at home games against big clubs simply because more Hawks fans attend.

The only opportunity was this, or the Tigers home game in Round 23. Wearing it to the away game in Canberra would be disastrous commercially.

Last edited:
Hear you, but one off jumpers/merch sell enormous well at home games against big clubs simply because more Hawks fans attend.

The only opportunity was this, or the Tigers home game in Round 12. Wearing it to the away game in Canberra would be disastrous commercially.
That's fair, but they could have given us predominantly Gold/Brown guernseys to choose from then.

Or better yet, stop screwing us with a BS "vote" and just give us the damned Blue Diamond guernsey already!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The cynic in me believes that when Hawthorn wears anything but their striped jumper then the club thinks that they are not going to win.

The cynic in me believes that when Hawthorn wears anything but their striped jumper then the club thinks that they are not going to win.
To me, it says we are not secure with our identity. Collingwood, for example, never wears an alternative jersey, and their jumper was white-based for years anyway. They don't even wear it for away games against North—one of the original clashes that instigated white shorts.

It's pretty laughable that this was our "clash" jumper, that the AFL forced on us which is now clashing against our next opponent. Not a well thought through exercise.
This kind of thing happens every week at AFL planning. GWS wearing their clash against us the other week was terrible. They have like 10 jerseys, so they chose to wear the jersey that clashes most with our home jersey (?). Next thing West Coast will wear the gold jersey against us and then adelaide will wear theirs for yolo

What's the fine for changing jumpers during a game? We should switch to the traditional jumper at half time and then blitz them like the Mighty Ducks v Iceland at the 1994 Junior Goodwill Games.

This kind of thing happens every week at AFL planning. GWS wearing their clash against us the other week was terrible. They have like 10 jerseys, so they chose to wear the jersey that clashes most with our home jersey (?). Next thing West Coast will wear the gold jersey against us and then adelaide will wear theirs for yolo
100% But this one is on us, we could have just said the other Hawk jumper won (not the power rangers) and at least avoided the clash. Why doesn't the club make a new jumper instead of rehashing old junk anyway. Surely there's some designers who are capable of putting something decent together. Then people would buy said jumper and they make money.

It's pretty laughable that this was our "clash" jumper, that the AFL forced on us which is now clashing against our next opponent. Not a well thought through exercise.
It won't clash at all with Collingwood in their black top, black shorts combo. No clash or issue at all.

The only people that will moan at this are the ones that see it as Hawthorn in an 'away' jumper while playing their home game against a team who get to wear their full home kit.

This doesn't worry me in the slightest and I wouldn't think the players give two hoots. We wear what we want at home and if this happens to be it then no problem. Its still a Hawks uniform.

It won't clash at all with Collingwood in their black top, black shorts combo. No clash or issue at all.

The only people that will moan at this are the ones that see it as Hawthorn in an 'away' jumper while playing their home game against a team who get to wear their full home kit.

This doesn't worry me in the slightest and I wouldn't think the players give two hoots. We wear what we want at home and if this happens to be it then no problem. Its still a Hawks uniform.
Yes, this is mostly it for me, the jersey in itself is OK, but Collingwood once again gets to go their own way and disregard AFL stipulations.

Having said that, I love the brown and gold stripes and wish it was the only jersey we ever used—it only really 'clashes' with GC. Gold is our colour, its what makes a Hawks crowd distinct from others, we should market it more. I know it is a special 'retro' jersey, so I know it is not about adjusting for the future, but how much better would it be if it was gold instead of white? (and the hawk was brown and white instead)

To me, it says we are not secure with our identity. Collingwood, for example, never wears an alternative jersey, and their jumper was white-based for years anyway. They don't even wear it for away games against North—one of the original clashes that instigated white shorts.

I agree we really don’t clash with anyone, and shouldn’t change it, if we had to we should just go Gold and Brown back gold numbers. But keep the strips like you said Collingwood sometimes do.

What's the fine for changing jumpers during a game? We should switch to the traditional jumper at half time and then blitz them like the Mighty Ducks v Iceland at the 1994 Junior Goodwill Games.

We did that in a game once started the game in the rugby style preseason top with the V. Then we put the normal one on at half time.

I think it was a H&A game as we had wore that top in pre season.
404bd3e7863a4662e7c14c59e2506b73.jpg

We did that in a game once started the game in the rugby style preseason top with the V. Then we put the normal one on at half time.

I think it was a H&A game as we had wore that top in pre season.
404bd3e7863a4662e7c14c59e2506b73.jpg
I vaguely seem to recall that.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back