Analysis Review v Bulldogs

Remove this Banner Ad

He definitely didn't do all bad things. That's classic Gilbert. His best is electrifying and his worst is horrid. No consistency. FWIW, I think he did a better job defensively on Stringer than any of Shenton, Acres or Dmac could do and that's why i'm comfortable with his selection.

I hope at least two of those guys can push him out of that spot by next year, though.
In fact, that play when he kicked it to the opposition at the top of the square summed up Gilbo in one go. Most 6'4 defenders wouldn't have extracted and been able to flee the scene. Unfortunately, most wouldn't sack the kick like that either.

Haha, he is nothing like NDS mate. NDS could hit targets whenever he wanted to, one of the best kicks in his prime along with Lindsay Gilbee. Bont is still more of an inside player that can go and play up as a key forward because of his height. Not many similarities to be honest.n

How could you degrade Nick like that?

-First of all Bont has absolutely fantastic skills. His kicking is sublime, similar to Dal;
-He is not a pure inside mid. He can win some ball inside, but you will not find him consistently at the bottom of the pack. FWIW, Del absolutely is not 100% outside either. Both players offer a combination of inside/outside ball winning potential without being exceptional at either;
-You talk about Bont having key forward potential. That is interesting, what game was it that you witnessed him playing like a key forward? Does he lead like a key forward? Does he take contested grabs like a key forward?

Essentially you are looking at Bont's height and making assumptions about what he could be as a player, even though he plays nothing like a forward. He plays very much like a tall midfielder, nothing else. In fact, he plays very much like a tall Dal Santo. Similar great skills, both have outstanding spatial awareness, similar pace, similar mix of inside/outside, both susceptible to being tagged out of the game.

Regardless of all that, the stat sheet says that Bont is 194cm, so how he actually plays is irrelevant I guess. Give me a shout out when you finally spot this key position beast Bontempelli in action. I would sure like to see it. LOL.

-First of all Bont has absolutely fantastic skills. His kicking is sublime, similar to Del;
-He is not a pure inside mid. He can win some ball inside, but you will not find him consistently at the bottom of the pack. FWIW, Del absolutely is not 100% outside either. Both players offer a combination of inside/outside ball winning potential without being exceptional at either;
-You talk about Bont having key forward potential. That is interesting, what game was it that you witnessed him playing like a key forward? Does he lead like a key forward? Does he take contested grabs like a key forward?

Essentially you are looking at Bont's height and making assumptions about what he could be as a player, even though he plays nothing like a forward. He plays very much like a tall midfielder, nothing else. In fact, he plays very much like a tall Del Santo. Similar great skills, both have outstanding spatial awareness, similar pace, similar mix of inside/outside, both susceptible to being tagged out of the game.

Regardless of all that, the stat sheet says that Bont is 194cm, so how he actually plays is irrelevant I guess. Give me a shout out when you finally spot this key position beast Bontempelli in action. I would sure like to see it. LOL.

Dal Santo.

Had a 21st on and could only watch the last 5 mins of the game and then the highlights today, so I can't say too much about the game. Surely if Fisher can play next week he comes in for Gilbert and not Delaney.. Roberton has made Gilbert's spot his own.

I like Minch he does some really good things but nowhere near enough to have a regular spot. Billings comes in for him this week.

And I hate the freakin' Dogs and their supporters. Crapping all over our club on their board saying we've got a crap list and we're not even a rebuilding team cause we had a more experienced team in last night.. LOL. They must still be mad they couldn't get past a prelim at their best.

Given we're two years behind them in our rebuild I'll back our young list in over their's everyday. They've got some superb talent no doubt but a couple more drafts with high picks and good development and we'll have them covered going forward. I'm more worried about GWS and the pies.

Can't kick can't win. Forward line a work in progress. Thanks for the memories Ray.

Always interesting reading every ones views on the different players and the game itself and how we all see it in different ways.
I said at the start of the year how I was worried about Dunstan lack of pace and running in general and thought it was a big problem and got SMASHED on here for suggesting it, But will stick by what I said
he REALLY needs to work on this if he is to become the player we all hope is

-First of all Bont has absolutely fantastic skills. His kicking is sublime, similar to Dal;

Essentially you are looking at Bont's height and making assumptions about what he could be as a player, even though he plays nothing like a forward. He plays very much like a tall midfielder, nothing else. In fact, he plays very much like a tall Dal Santo. Similar great skills, both have outstanding spatial awareness, similar pace, similar mix of inside/outside, both susceptible to being tagged out of the game.

He's a mid who can go forward, in time perhaps it will be the other way around, I don't know. But he's only in his second year.

Second to st kilda, I want dogs to win a cup.

But some of their supporters on their BF board really make me wonder. Sadly, their admins won't do anything about it.

One thing is to hate the opposition - another is to shout obscenities at the opposition coach and hoping that the opposition team didn't exist. Poor inexcusable behaviour.

If that's the best the mutts can muster against our dads army team from last years spooners then they have many more years of pain to come. If Boyd doesn't become a star or gets injured then their heavy investment in him will compound the issue.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Acres is class, he just looks laconic when he plays at AFL, by comparison Dmac whilst also class is more mongrel and looks harder at it, neither would have done a brilliant job on Stringer or on the back half or up forward and we would likely instead be discussing how Acres got run down or Dmac had to stop in his tracks several times and got done HTB because options were at a premium and these 2 aren't at that level yet to do it consistently.

Always interesting reading every ones views on the different players and the game itself and how we all see it in different ways.
I said at the start of the year how I was worried about Dunstan lack of pace and running in general and thought it was a big problem and got SMASHED on here for suggesting it, But will stick by what I said
he REALLY needs to work on this if he is to become the player we all hope is

Dunstan doesn't need explosive pace, he needs to work on his positioning and spread however and I feel as though he's lost some fitness since he seems to be slowing down after a couple efforts when previously he would push through and persist. His best is still more than good enough though I'm not sure we can carry he and Mav in the guts to compliment Armo and Steven in the years to come.

FFS Brucey can't earn himself a free kick. He gets held and blocked out of marking contests each game - in each quarter. It is the most frustrating thing to watch, everyone knows now that when he gets a jump at it, he brings it down. All the matchups on him seem to just ground him - No frees at all.
This is something that the club needs to get clarification on from the umpiring department.

The Dogs got away with blocks & interference at so many marking contests that it was laughable. Bruce, Roo & Billy were illegally infringed constantly through holding & shepherding.

Really poor effort by the umpires

Just a few observations ...
  • Ross was great in the last quarter but remember he was fresh when everyone else was knackered. His general lack of speed was camouflaged. Still deserving of a start next week though.
  • I'm worried about Dunstan. He's def best 18 at his top but he's in real danger of others going past him if he doesn't lift.
  • Not a fan of Bruce pinch hitting in the ruck. It's too much of an ask when he's our new go to man in the forward line.
  • I'd give Gilbo a couple more games and if he keeps turning it over like last night then its bye bye. I think we owe him that much at least.
  • I'm happy with giving the old heads a final fling if they're fit but surely it should be all about teaching the young ones the ropes. Not much chance of that happening if they're all playing at Sandy. We need to strike a balance. Roo, Joey, Fish, Dempster, Geary def. - Schneider, Ray, Gilbert, maybe one of them, two tops.
  • I've been slow to warm to Longer and Weller. I'm starting to get with the program regarding them....maybe.
  • Dempster is our most under rated recruit from another club in years. Personally, I'd say he's been better value than Schneider over the journey.
  • I'd like to see Lee and Goddard given their chance in the next few weeks. It's well over due.
  • Newnes is a tackling beast. That free against him in the last quarter for a head high tackle was total BS. It gifted the Dogs a goal too.
  • If Savage gets the ball anywhere within 50 metres of goal he should be instructed to have a shot. Why the best kick in the team would kick back to Steven in the last quarter, who was further out from goal, I'll never know. It was a huge mistake.
Overall, it was another good, strong performance but the breaks didn't quite go our way this time. Hopefully they will next week against the Essendon Bongers.

Treat the Doggies disdain about this game as a compliment, they are in effect stating that their players and gameplan were unable to surpass what we pressured them into becoming, in that game, it is a slight on their club as much as it is a slight on our club for apparently being the club devolving the game into an unwatchable tripe. It is a compliment that out apparent dads army and players who are less skillful, older by comparisons and otherwise not rated were able to match and suppress their bonafide stars, but that we should also not note this at all due to the fact that they are shit and we know nothing of AFL due to being deluded ignorant heathens who shouldn't follow the game.

Or disregard those sorts of opinions as opinions born from inherent bias, everyone wants their own club to succeeded over everyone else, they belittle other players, staff, clubs all the time. Next week they would even give 2 shits about it and neither will those getting huffy and puffy at the verbal jousting.

This is something that the club needs to get clarification on from the umpiring department.

The Dogs got away with blocks & interference at so many marking contests that it was laughable. Bruce, Roo & Billy were illegally infringed constantly through holding & shepherding.

Really poor effort by the umpires

Umpires were not the issue, generally are not the issue and generally will not the be the issue a side loses a game (exception happen such as a ball ricocheting off a goal post and being called a goal by all umpires on fields, but they're rare) the issue is that opinion is enshrined as rulings, so that immediately when an umpire makes an opinion on a piece if play, he or she is right, they are backed up by the laws of the game and it is these laws that are killing the umpires legitimacy and the push for 2 goal umps, more cameras, more oversight by a broken system.

I was angry at Richo at first, allowing Easton Wood to be pretty much free to intercept our kicks into forward 50 all night. But later reflection makes me think we might learn more by learning not to kick it to him instead of using a defensive forward (hate em) to hinder him.

If they had Libba they win, blah, blah, blah.

The bottom line is this, WE ARE IN A REBUILD.
Who gives a stuff what people like Maxwell etc are saying, we should be 6 goals worse than the doggies, remembering they have the 2013 number 1 and number 4 pick.

Boyd is not a footballers bootlace, certainly not worth 300k let alone 1 ******* million! He is fat, lazy, scared and soft, and they are his good points. Trust me, we will spend $1 million on two free agents or recruits in the next two years who will run rings around him.

If people knew what is going on behind the scenes you would be doing backflips, so enjoy the new defensive strategies we are working on in game time situations and remember if we kick straight tonight we win.

Sam Gilbert played very well tonight but had no support when under the pump, no options at all, so give him a break.

As is well known on here, I hope tonight showed why I don't rate Michington. He's just not good enough yet, but has time on his side.

We don't want to win too many games, it's pointless at this stage of our development and will cost us long term if we miss out on one of the gun mids in this draft, plan A is Parish, let's stick to the plan and win no more than 6 games.

One last thing, this is the lowest point of our rebuild cycle, its all upwards if we nail this upcoming national draft. Hopefully we draft our next Brownlow medalist and Norm Smith winner.

The problem with your analysis is the Bulldogs played with a younger side than us last night. So you cant say we are in a Rebuild when we put that side on the field. Dogs ave age last night was 24. Ours was 25.

Back in Rd 6 we had a younger side than them - and we won (24.2 v 24.4).

I am happy to lose when we are rebuilding. But don't sell us 'Future-fest' but then deliver 'Dad's Army.'

I think Dunstan is just suffering from 2nd year blues.

He put in so much work, so many minutes, in 2014 then had a nice long break over summer. Now his body is suffering again under the stresses of a full AFL season.

Its the same as weightlifters, marathon runners, gym junkies etc taking a couple months off and then trying to go straight back into it. Its just not fair to expect that level of output from a 19 year old.

He could do with a couple of weeks in the VFL as management, but he is certainly not falling away through lack of talent/intent/work rate.

Between he and Seb we have a couple of goal kicking "Bash Bros" on the inside come 2018. Finding the right balance of inside and outside players to put around them will be the key to our midfield.

Right now it feels like too many of our mids do their best work on the inside.

This match was an unattractive one to watch. It was essentially a battle of the two defences. I think that was initiated by us as WB natural game is not a dour defensive one. They generate a lot of run from half back (Wood, Murphy and Boyd) and rely on some contribution from their forwards creating space. We effectively nullified any contribution from their forwards. Delaney shut down Boyd (again), Roberton on Dickson, Geary on Dahlhaus, Gilbert and Dempster seemed to share Stringer and Roughead and I think Webster stood Johanissen. We gave them no space and shut down their scoring. They did the same to us by completely flooding our forward line when we had it down there.

Our forward entries need work. We had 56 entries into our forward 50 (to their 44) but WB marked 21 of those 56 with Easton Wood (BOG) being the main culprit (although they were able to get away with a number of illegal blocks). The stats suggest we should have won this match by a reasonable margin, we won the clearances 35 to 28, we won the contested possessions 135 to 114, and we won tackles 68 to 54. Membrey played well, especially early and deserves to keep his spot, Minchington was fairly quiet and looked out of place so deep forward and might have done better at half forward. I expect he will make way for Billings' return next week. Riewoldt and Bruce are working very nicely together but the structure does not look as open as it has been when Hickey was playing. Lonie was busy but less effective than in recent weeks.

Billy Longer had a good match, dominated the ruck with 30 hit outs to Minson's 15, he also topped the club in clearances. Our midfield were good without being outstanding. Newnes was the best player for the Saints, with Armitage and Montagna both significant, Ray did fairly well in his 200th match, Schneider was ordinary. Dunstan was quiet - especially after half time and if he is not injured, he has a fitness issue. I think with hindsight, it may have been better to have taken Dunstan off at 3/4 time and let the Minch have a rotation or two through the midfield to see how he went. Anyway the sub was Seb Ross - when he came on he immediately made an impact and was very good, possibly our best in the last quarter.

I have been unimpressed with Gilbert for five years. I have long suspected that his constant injuries have inflated his capabilities in fans' minds. I saw nothing to change my view last night, at all. Cost us, directly, three goals. Plenty of excuses, but he racks up more excuses than clean possessions.

Seeing as we seem to be happy with our defensive setup, I'm not, I personally think its a bit undersized. Would you bring Goddard in and play him as a forward???

Remove this Banner Ad

Analysis Review v Bulldogs

Remove this Banner Ad

Back