Autopsy Round 23 Review - Saints second half demolishes the Kitty Cats

Remove this Banner Ad

The tanking concept has never convinced me, I get the logic of it, but the cultural benefits contained in this type of win are a bigger guarantee than the draft benefits, particularly in this year's draft.

Coming from behind, all players playing their part, young players putting themselves in the spotlight, senior players turning back the clock, outpointing a finals side desperate to win, a team sharing infectious momentum, players celebrating goals and smothers and tackles together, kicking over 100 points, hearing the Saints crowd go nuts at our home, immense pressure with nothing to play for except competition, telling the footy world that St Kilda are no easybeat choker side...

All of the above is huge culturally. Whatever draft pick we end up with will find themselves among teammates learning how to be serial winners together, not crumbling to get a messiah through the door.

**** tanking, now and forever - that's not why I follow footy.
I'd rather this than what the Roos and Richmond are dishing up.

Yeah I've gotta say that completely changed my tune regarding tanking. Last night was so much better for us as a footy club than packing it in for a slightly better lottery pick at a kid in November. We should be winning every game we can to show the kids we do have how good it feels to beat teams like G**l*ng.
Winning is better in the long term.

There are guns beyond the top 10 picks.

Hell the BOG was Wilkie and he was a rookie draft player.

A month ago we were saying he and Membrey were gone.
Now? Who knows?
I dunno…lull them into a false sense of security and then outrun them in the end. The rush is amazing!

Second only to Sydney this season for last quarters won, and we beat them too. 🤣

Two other observations - that stickman jumper is great and how good did the safety hats look in the cheer squad. Effing brilliant idea
Not a huge fan of the Stickman jumper, but it looked a lot better last night!

The hats were pretty distinctive, but for people like me old enough to remember Fraggle Rock, it reminded me of these guys!
doozerconstruction.jpg

The key thing we need to look at over the off-season is how do we bring this form into the beginning of the year? On our day we are good enough to beat many of the sides in the comp, this season has been really disappointing in that it has been over since about half way through the year. Like you say, to their credit they've been able to find ways to keep improving. But we need to ensure we are in it next year and fighting for a top eight spot again.
We do need to remember our injury toll early. We had to get used to playing without our main mid extractor. And then as we saw with Jones, Clark, Wood, Henry (first time), Dougs and Dow etc, even when they do come back from injury they really take a while to get back into it. Webster out for weeks was also unfortunate. Max never actually got a really consistent run at it either.

We need to start next year with the confidence to go through the middle and to target multiple options up forward. If we immediately revert back to just targeting Max, we will go backwards again.

Also, would be good if the AFL could give us a more even fixture next year. It's no coincidence we've found form after finally getting a string of games at our home ground.
Injured returning players regaining form have helped no end too.

Wilkie must be at least co-captain next year. He is our rock.
Also great to see Steele being more influential in front of goal, hope the coaches lean into that for next year - goal kicking midfielders (and we need more of them) define the upper echelon of teams
Not sure it matters if Wilkie has the formal C after his name or not. He’s our backline general and everyone knows it.

As for Steele becoming more of a goal-kicking mid, then yes please. He was very chuffed with himself in the interview - mentioning that he’d kicked three in the previous game. Sounds like Lenny Hayes has been responsible for him getting more into the forward line.

We do need to remember our injury toll early. We had to get used to playing without our main mid extractor. And then as we saw with Jones, Clark, Wood, Henry (first time), Dougs and Dow etc, even when they do come back from injury they really take a while to get back into it. Webster out for weeks was also unfortunate. Max never actually got a really consistent run at it either.
Never despair y'all, I'll be back with my in-depth preseason training reports, the new kids, who is doing well, who is struggling etc.
Will also do a pre and post Christmas evaluation of each player.
Seriously regard it as a service to the Sainters who aren't in a position to get to training or interstate or overseas.
Coming your way this November

On SM-S908E using BigFooty.com mobile app

Jimmy Webster has also just been underrated good imo. Had some crucial wins including a 2v1

It’s almost like we need to put Sharman’s personality and intent into King’s frame and we’d have a full blown generational player.

9qLr46T.gif

(Log in to remove this ad.)

As much as people are ripping on him, he made a great observation as the Saints got their roll on.
Said Saints were moving the Cats from side to side and they couldn't go with them and a lot were starting to walk.
His observations last night were good and I think very fair.

Yep was a good call
Really interesting question posed after game
1. Q1/2 saints don’t look in board to use corridors as much
2. Q3/4 opposite go corridor a lot play fast
Is that RTB changing game plan mid game or on players??
I’m a big fan of the way we changed directions around top of our F50 last going in…spread them thin ..holes everywhere…basketball like but smart
Stick with that, better use King get 1-2 gun mids …lookout

Not sure it matters if Wilkie has the formal C after his name or not. He’s our backline general and everyone knows it.

As for Steele becoming more of a goal-kicking mid, then yes please. He was very chuffed with himself in the interview - mentioning that he’d kicked three in the previous game. Sounds like Lenny Hayes has been responsible for him getting more into the forward line.
Been screaming for Steele to be played and rotated through the forward line for years. He was used forward a fair bit when with GWS, and always had the traits and ability. In a team that has struggled to kick goals, we need the mids to get on the board more. Him & Wood are getting their share at the moment, and it's been great for the team.

Never despair y'all, I'll be back with my in-depth preseason training reports, the new kids, who is doing well, who is struggling etc.
Seriously regard it as a service to the Sainters who aren't in a position to get to training or interstate or overseas.

the info and insight you and other posters provide really gives me a lot of fulfillment as someone in Europe who for some reason spends most of his waking hours obsessing over this team. A sincere thank you.

As one of those unable to get there, I really appreciate all the reports from you and others who do it.
Thanks a lot.

Two other observations - that stickman jumper is great and how good did the safety hats look in the cheer squad. Effing brilliant idea
I personally think the stickman jumper looks absolutely fantastic.

In fact,some oppo supporting friends were txting during the game saying how good it looked on the TV.......a few used the word awesome.

An extremely rare event getting them to say something complementary about the Saints....lol.

And seeing the yellow Rsea hats last night brought back memories of .....season 2017 or there abouts......where 3 adjacent bays had a different colour hard hat on.

It looked spectacular.

I'm coming around to Stocker.
The Carlton stain is hard for me to ignore with him and Dow.
I know it's ridiculous and unfair already.
Stocks is a ripping guy if you ever get the chance to talk to him or listen to him talk.

His story is a absolute beauty.

And his distain for the Carlton Football Club is huge.

I personally think the stickman jumper looks absolutely fantastic.

In fact,some oppo supporting friends were txting during the game saying how good it looked on the TV.......a few used the word awesome.

An extremely rare event getting them to say something complementary about the Saints....lol.

And seeing the yellow Rsea hats last night brought back memories of .....season 2017 or there abouts......where 3 adjacent bays had a different colour hard hat on.

It looked spectacular.
I think it was different colour tee shirts and they sat in panels like the jumper. It looked fantastic.

One thing I have noticed though is that our cheer squad is one of the smaller ones going around which is a shame.

It’s quite an aggressive looking jumper with those big bold red and black panels.
Still prefer home and candy stripe, but there’s something about it.
And the Stickman is a lighthearted touch.
We're extremely fortunate Diehard...........IMHO......we have some awesome jumper designs to choose from.

And we nail our indigenous jumper designs every year.

I think it was different colour tee shirts and they sat in panels like the jumper. It looked fantastic.

One thing I have noticed though is that our cheer squad is one of the smaller ones going around which is a shame.
It's a little baffling re the cheer squad size.

Sydney appeared to have a whole bay on Friday night.

Where I mentioned that the 3 bays wore different colored hard hats.....it was an idea of Joe(Cheer squad legend)back then to try to lift the profile of the cheer squad and get more members on board.

And speaking of the cheer squad.....a little birdie told me that the cheer squad had a surprise helper recently when putting together the banner at the Moorabbin Bowls club.

Sir Robert Harvey dropped in to lend a hand.

Legend !!!!!!!

Do you reckon last nights win kind of proves rtb’s game plan doesn’t suit the team?
They/We all,say we haven’t got the talent to go far but maybe we have and we’re just playing the wrong game style to suit our players.
Once we unleash the beast we’re a different side as witnessed after half time last night.
We did it a few weeks ago as well.
Hopefully the coaching group takes a big lesson out of that and maybe rethinks their recruitment strategy for next year.
Or do we just get all pig headed and stick with the same old crap?

Remove this Banner Ad

Autopsy Round 23 Review - Saints second half demolishes the Kitty Cats

Remove this Banner Ad

Back