Revival of the "What Music You Listening To?" Thread....

Remove this Banner Ad

I'm a muso so I've been listening to a lot of jazz lately...
Just curious if there are any other Collingwood supporters out there who are fans of Davis or Coltrane? ;)

I have 8 gigs of various Coltrane stuff on my hard-drive, and most Davis albums, so I'd say I probably count. What instrument do you play?

While we're here, a little Coltrane and a bit of Monk to go with it:

[YOUTUBE]Ux2qH8CMVr4[/YOUTUBE]

[YOUTUBE]MI1tW-YykWQ[/YOUTUBE]

Been getting into Martha Wainwright self-titled album. Fantastic album adn listening to Sarah Blasko after is like watching Goodfella's after watching the Godfather I or II - similar genre but one just blows the other away.

Anyone catch the doco on abc a few nights ago on the 82nd intangible treasure (??) of Korea. About an Aussie jazz drummer searching out this south korean shaman/musician who he was fascinated with. Really great doco to watch and really interesting the cultural differences and approaches to music.

Been getting into Martha Wainwright self-titled album. Fantastic album adn listening to Sarah Blasko after is like watching Goodfella's after watching the Godfather I or II - similar genre but one just blows the other away.

Any youtubes of some worthy songs spiced one?

Just curious if there are any other Collingwood supporters out there who are fans of Davis or Coltrane? ;)

Can't say i've listened to much Jazz but i'm always keen to listen to good music. I would love to hear some of your favourite stuff if you want to post the youtubes.

Try this out Q-nuts

[youtube]5_2PkX3FHag[/youtube]

On Jazz, try some Chico Freeman, was my first cd - not 1st album - but 1st cd. Live at Ronny Scott's. His version of "In a Sentimental Mood@ is awesome.

No youtube for some things.

Big Miles Davis fan right here! Bitches Brew and In a Silent Way are absolute classics.

If you are into some jazz fusion, check out the band Soft Machine. Oh, and check out Frank Zappa's 1969 jazz-rock masterpiece, Hot Rats.:thumbsu::thumbsu::thumbsu:

Big Miles Davis fan right here! Bitches Brew and In a Silent Way are absolute classics.

If you are into some jazz fusion, check out the band Soft Machine. Oh, and check out Frank Zappa's 1969 jazz-rock masterpiece, Hot Rats.:thumbsu::thumbsu::thumbsu:

Have a soft machine double album on vinyl. Trippers.

Have a soft machine double album on vinyl. Trippers.
Is that the album 'Third'? It's got one of my favourite Soft Machine tracks on it; 'Out-Bloody-Rageous'. It's 19 minutes long, but it's 19 minutes of great music:

[youtube]exuykykj2UI[/youtube]
[youtube]lKja2sjkJBA[/youtube]

I love the swirling keyboards that open and close the track.:thumbsu: Apparently my Dad used to play Soft Machine, particularly this song, a lot when I was just a baby, which probably explains why I love it so much.

Third is a classic album! Picked it up for 7 bucks secondhand a few years back. Also have a few Zappa albums including Hot Rats and Apostrophe; amazing composer and guitarist. He's not bad at sticking his big nose in politics either!

As for Miles' fusion era beginning with In A Silent Way and Bitches Brew... His constant innovation in jazz was just phenomenal!

I'm a double bass player by the way. Are any Collingwood players a bit musical?

As for what I'm listening to: here's some jazz that's around now that I'm really enjoying. Modern jazz generally is typified by its world influences; seems to be the direction its going in at the moment.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yhPA7FXQU5c

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eppUzxHTs7Y

Hope you enjoy!

Also have a few Zappa albums including Hot Rats and Apostrophe; amazing composer and guitarist. He's not bad at sticking his big nose in politics either!
Frank Zappa was a genius. One of my favourite musicians. He could be doing silly songs one second, having you laughing your head off, and then the next he could be shredding away on his guitar, blowing your mind. Some of the most original and creative music I have ever heard.

His late '60s output with the Mothers of Invention is some of the most craziest, funniest and awesome music I have ever heard. Their first three albums (Freak Out!, Absolutely Free and We're Only in it for the Money) are essential to a Zappa collection. Apparently Freak Out! was a major influence on The Beatles while they were making Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band as well.

His guitar solos were amazing as well. Tracks like 'Rat Tomago', 'Transylvania Boogie', 'Muffin Man', 'Black Napkins', 'Son of Orange County', 'Shut Up 'n Play Yer Guitar' (the title track of a triple album featuring nothing but guitar solos, brilliant!), 'Invocation and Ritual Dance of the Young Pumpkin', 'He Used to Cut the Grass' and 'Willie the Pimp' blew me away when I first heard the guitar solos contained on them. One of the best and most unique guitar players of all time.

More people need to listen to his music!

Yeah, third is the one DT. It's a double album with 4 songs - one per side.

I have to say, it's not easy listening though. The inside of the album has a photo of the band which leaves no guessing as to what they might have inhaled 30 minutes before.

I had an awesome collection of psychedelia when I was @17, but it all got thrown out by mymum after a flood went through the house. Albums like psychotic reaction by Count Five, which are as rare as rocking horse shite.

Yeah, third is the one DT. It's a double album with 4 songs - one per side.

I have to say, it's not easy listening though. The inside of the album has a photo of the band which leaves no guessing as to what they might have inhaled 30 minutes before.

I had an awesome collection of psychedelia when I was @17, but it all got thrown out by mymum after a flood went through the house. Albums like psychotic reaction by Count Five, which are as rare as rocking horse shite.
Yeah, I'm a big '60s psychedelic rock fan as well. It probably takes up about 85% of my big CD collection.

That's why I love the band Tame Impala so much. They're a modern psychedelic band that sound like a band from the '60s. Check out their album Innerspeaker if you haven't heard them before.

Funny you mention Count Five, because I had 'Psychotic Reaction' stuck in my head just before I read your post.:eek:

Only got a few albums left on vinyl - most prized being The Music Machine's Talk Talk. Have Count Five on cd though.

Pebble's albums were great, but my best record now is Batman, the soundtrack for the show. It's all jazz music peppered with random comments by Batman or Robin. "Holy hole in the donut" etc.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Still speaking of Soft Machine, their first two albums are gems as well. They're much more psychedelic, but still jazzy at the same time. I think I posted this song a while ago, but I'll post it again, off their second album Volume Two:

[youtube]Y9bJdntjJvQ[/youtube]

Robert Wyatt's voice is fantastic, and I love the sudden change from jazzy to psychedelic half way through the song.:thumbsu:

I tried twice to get to vid to appear, even read the instructions, but no dice.

Click on the link, it's worth it!!

Here you go:

[YOUTUBE]LCFb5TH-P0M[/YOUTUBE]

Heres the full link:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LCFb5TH-P0M

You take this part of it LCFb5TH-P0M (everything after v=)

And paste it in the middle of the youtube tags [YOUTUBE][/YOUTUBE]

Still speaking of Soft Machine, their first two albums are gems as well. They're much more psychedelic, but still jazzy at the same time. I think I posted this song a while ago, but I'll post it again, off their second album Volume Two:

[youtube]Y9bJdntjJvQ[/youtube]

Robert Wyatt's voice is fantastic, and I love the sudden change from jazzy to psychedelic half way through the song.:thumbsu:
Haven't heard that song before but they're very clever, using odd meter and harmonies in the horns. Sick band, I'll get those 2 albums asap!

A few weeks back I got obsessed with shoegaze music. For people that don't know what shoegaze music is, it's tough to define. It's called shoegaze because the performers would stare at their guitar effects pedals, which they would use heavily in their music, which was mistaken for staring at their shoes. Musically, it involves a lot of effects and a "wall of sound", featuring thick guitar distortion from noisy guitars, while the vocals tend to be pulled back in the mix making it sound like another instrument. The vocals tend to be female and have a strong sense of melody. This creates a sort of dream-like atmosphere. Once again, this is a tough genre to define and there are a lot of bands that are called shoegaze, but don't follow this formula. Now onto some songs.

My Bloody Valentine are considered to be the defining shoegaze band. Their 1991 album 'Loveless' is considered to be the best shoegaze album and one of the best of the 1990s. For me it took about four or five listens to properly appreciate their music. The "wall of sound" makes it sound muddy and thick and could put you off on the first listen, but after a few listens you start to hear all the other things going on in the songs. I still find new things in the songs that I didn't notice before. Here are some tracks from 'Loveless':

'Only Shallow':
[youtube]oiomcuNlVjk[/youtube]

My personal favourite from the album, 'To Here Knows When':
[youtube]7Kp6fOGBoYo[/youtube]

'Loomer':
[youtube]ztnutktJP7M[/youtube]

Another fantastic shoegaze band is Ride. This band is more of the psychedelic and rockier side of shoegaze. This band has male vocals as opposed to the, mostly, female vocals of My Bloody Valentine. Their 1990 album 'Nowhere' is another classic shoegaze album, and it's the album that got me into shoegaze in the first place.

This song is called 'Seagull' and you need to turn it up loud, just as you should with all shoegaze music:
[youtube]wF0FO5riglY[/youtube]

'Dreams Burn Down':
[youtube]E5zTuVhNs5c[/youtube]

For someone just listening to shoegaze music for the first time, I'd suggest listening to Ride before My Bloody Valentine, just because MBV's music is harder to appreciate straight away. But if you listen to it multiple times, you are in for a treat.

Your shoegaze intro needs more Slowdive. Both of these are off Just for a Day, which is a criminally underrated record.

[YOUTUBE]YxTv1G9ksdM[/YOUTUBE]

[YOUTUBE]duym11lEwGg[/YOUTUBE]

I haven't heard Slowdive's music before, but 'Ballad of Sister Sue' was cool.:):thumbsu:

Another great shoegaze band is Whirl. They just released their debut EP 'Distressor' last year. Here's a track from that EP:

[youtube]ikDoyRFJ3zw[/youtube]

I can't wait to hear their full length album, which is apparently due to come out some time this year.

If you're a shoegaze fan, you should definitely grab the albums Just for a Day and Souvlaki. After MVB, they're probably the most influential shoegaze band.
Yeah, I've been planning on checking them out for a while. I've read good reviews about 'Souvlaki', I just haven't gotten around to checking them out. I will do so soon though.:thumbsu:

If you're a shoegaze fan, you should definitely grab the albums Just for a Day and Souvlaki. After MVB, they're probably the most influential shoegaze band.
I just listened to 'Just for a Day'; incredible stuff! It put me in a trance as I was listening to it. I can't believe I didn't check them out earlier!

I really enjoyed 'Catch the Breeze':

[youtube]cqw2-UKkGAc[/youtube]

Now onto listening to 'Souvlaki'!:thumbsu:

Remove this Banner Ad

Revival of the "What Music You Listening To?" Thread....

Remove this Banner Ad

Back