Rewarding Mediocrity

Remove this Banner Ad

May 24, 2005
Covid Central
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Socceroos
We've done it all year - under-performing guys like Black, Adams, Bastinac, Wright, Goldy, Ziebell etc. have been gifted game after game despite very mediocre performances. We've handed out 2 year contracts to guys in their 4th, 5th and 6th seasons who still have not shown they can play 3 good games a month.
So really, is it any surprise we are so inconsistent when mediocrity is so richly rewarded at Arden St? Probably not.
Time to grow some balls BS and make a statement. But I can see it now - changes vs Geel:
Out - McMahon, Jacobs
In - Anthony, MacKenzie
Yep, that'll send a message to the group.

We've done it all year - under-performing guys like Black, Adams, Bastinac, Wright, Goldy, Ziebell etc. have been gifted game after game despite very mediocre performances. We've handed out 2 year contracts to guys in their 4th, 5th and 6th seasons who still have not shown they can play 3 good games a month.
So really, is it any surprise we are so inconsistent when mediocrity is so richly rewarded at Arden St? Probably not.
Time to grow some balls BS and make a statement. But I can see it now - changes vs Geel:
Out - McMahon, Jacobs
In - Anthony, MacKenzie
Couldn't agree more. We are creating a Richmondesque culture of rewarding failure.

It is almost sad watching Jack at the moment, he's been smashed by injury and can't even do the simple things. If he is to play it should be mainly as a forward, or maybe we just worry about getting him right for 2015.
Patch should just play as sub.
Basti is one bloke who needs a wake-up call.
Black hit rock bottom last night...

I've banged on about this for 2 years or more.

The fact Adams is playing week in week out makes me want to punch something every time I think about it.

The most disgraceful thing I've read out of any North person over the last two years is Patch publicly thanking his teammates for carrying him. The article summed up us as a club then and still does now.

Out - McMahon, Jacobs
In - Anthony, MacKenzie

Not trying to defend individuals or the Club, but:

If our side had full available numbers we would have
Grima and Tippett and Delaney and Mullett in defence, Wells and MacMillan across the centre, Harper (?) and Garner and Nahas roaming the forward line......that's NINE changes we could consider each week, but instead we have to play half-timers like Anthony, Jacobs, Adams, McKenzie etc.
Sometimes our hands are tied.
Throw out the under-achieves from the Carlton game and we would need more than NINE !

Grima and Tippett and Delaney and Mullett in defence, Wells and MacMillan across the centre, Harper (?) and Garner and Nahas roaming the forward line......that's NINE changes we could consider each week, but instead we have to play half-timers like Anthony, Jacobs, Adams, McKenzie etc.
Throw out the under-achieves from the Carlton game and we would need more than NINE !

Robertsonroo on the money, post more....

giphy.gif

Appendix- 'All Quiet on the Whinging Front' Thread.
Gaso we have served up some dead set shit this year. The effort against Essendon was absolute garbage. We were out worked by Collingwood. Didn't turn up against the Gold Coast. Started like we had popped a shit load of Valium against Geelong. Lost to the 17th placed Brisbane in what can only be described as complete and utter rot. And on Friday we saw it again with a horrendous display of effort against Carlton. This is simply unacceptable. Whinge away my friends. You're within your rights. :stern look

Gaso we have served up some dead set shit this year. The effort against Essendon was absolute garbage. We were out worked by Collingwood. Didn't turn up against the Gold Coast. Started like we had popped a shit load of Valium against Geelong. Lost to the 17th placed Brisbane in what can only be described as complete and utter rot. And on Friday we saw it again with a horrendous display of effort against Carlton. This is simply unacceptable. Whinge away my friends. You're within your rights. :stern look

Its not the whinging that is the issue...its the blow ins to the Board that don't post anything else except for after a loss...that is the issue...

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I've banged on about this for 2 years or more.

The fact Adams is playing week in week out makes me want to punch something every time I think about it.

The most disgraceful thing I've read out of any North person over the last two years is Patch publicly thanking his teammates for carrying him. The article summed up us as a club then and still does now.

Adams has to play as sub, and come on when pace has gone out of the game.

DR what is your take on our up and downs? Genuine question as I think you generally contribute an interesting insight after a win but tend to bunker down your opinions and just post defensive quips after a loss.

It's simple. It's about attitude and work rate. I don't believe for a second that the team we put on the ground last night is as bad as that. They are all skilled, fit footballers. It's the distinct lack of self motivation that annoys the **** out of me

It's like ground hog day isn't it.
Remarkable this team.
I don't know why this board bothers anymore.
We have been up and down this track before so many times, let's face it no one knows what's wrong with this team and no one knows how to solve it.
It is incredible that the penny will never drop for this club in its current form, such a frustrating and soulless place right at the minute.
Alas we will keep supporting and show up against the cats producing another win that'll be an indictment on the blue and white stripes before losing to the dogs or Adelaide because we weren't up to it.
What a joke.
How do you abandon something you love when it repeatedly spits in your face.
Because that's what the club should do. As they are walking down the race after these losses we members should all line up and just cop it right on the chin. Surely could be less humiliating than watching these performances every second week.
Disgraceful.

Pardon me for just showing up after the losses to 3rd rate teams, but this season has sucked out all my enthusiasm over the wins. I really couldn't give a shit if we beat Geelong next week. Or lose to the Giants. The current coach cannot impose a fanatical culture onto this team(or that would have been evident years ago)
There will be no more lightbulb moments like the Buddy13 game. No catalyst for a dramatic turnaround of the teams mental state. This group is obviously quite comfortable with its status in the comp or hopelessly mired in chronic lack of confidence. There is nothing Scott can do to change this(or he would have already)
All the passengers(and there are quite a few) know they will not be dropped, no matter how many heartless, lazy performances they string together.
I don't think Scott is the right man for this job and the sooner this is addressed, the sooner the cultural abyss can be sorted.

But by the same token we cant be bringing in noted mediocrity like McKenzie, Jacobs, Anthony etc.....fresh meat please!!!

I didn't realise Carlton was at full-strength..

I didn't realise Carlton was at full-strength..

No-one is talking about Carlton.

The point was that injuries have removed a lot of selection options for North this season. Just as the coaches are apparently wanting to toughen up at selection, they have far fewer realistic alternatives to bring in. When we had a full list, give or take, they were focused on development at senior level and wearing the inconsistency. Now they are past that point, the fit replacements are not there. Even Wood got injured just at the wrong time.

It's simple. It's about attitude and work rate. I don't believe for a second that the team we put on the ground last night is as bad as that. They are all skilled, fit footballers. It's the distinct lack of self motivation that annoys the **** out of me
Good post. And what's your opinion of wtf they fail to self motivate.

Remove this Banner Ad

Rewarding Mediocrity

Remove this Banner Ad

Back