MRP / Trib. Rhyan Mansell hit on James Aish

Remove this Banner Ad

Folks, bear in mind that this thread is about Rhyan Mansell on James Aish. It isn’t an open invitation to drop by and ask why Gary Rohan wasn’t suspended for friendly fire on his own team mate.

I understand the arguments you’re making, I really do, but at the end of the day the MRO & tribunal only look at contact when it’s on an opponent.

Arguing that contact on a team mate should be part of their purview is opening up a whole new can of worms, and I’m just not sure we want to go there. In any case it definitely doesn’t belong in this thread.

Thanks, Zev.

The reasoning

Guess he either needs to not run at the contest full tilt, or just evaporate into thin air when the ball bounces towards Aish

So the AFL and the tribunal expect players to squib at the contest.

So the AFL and the tribunal expect players to squib at the contest.
I can sort of see why the AFL would want this, you don't really want to promote running full speed at a contest and then by "protecting yourself" sending the opponent into the shadow realm... but how do you stop two players running at full speed at the ball from opposite directions? One of them will lose.

Hard one.

I can sort of see why, you don't really want to promote running full speed at a contest and then by "protecting yourself" sending the opponent into the shadow realm... but how do you stop two players running at full speed at the ball from opposite directions? One of them will lose.

Hard one.
You can't. Both have the same objective win that red/yellow thing.

So now we got our pants 👖 pulled down twice by this incompetent organisation 3 free kicks for 3 quarters of footy and now again by the tribunal honestly I'll rather go watch a bushleague afl game of footy atleast players don't have to squib.

I guess the tribunal works differently because they seem to opreate in absolutes but compare the 3 incidents (Pickett, De Goey and Mansell) and the punishment don't quite add up. Even if they wanted to give a token suspension to Mansell, 3 weeks seems very interesting.

Mansell is neither here nor there in our side.
But for this outcome to be the same as DeGoey is pretty baffling.

I wasn’t sure contact was made to the head but they must have ruled that it was, rather than guessing because a headband came off. And with that Aish misses this week through the protocol as well. Not sure either player had intent to bump, but someone else has assessed otherwise.

Contact is proving a pretty slippery slope at the moment.

Won’t be long before the public will need to accept being second to the ball means you give up your right to contest.

"6:12: The AFL is arguing Mansell wasn't contesting the ball at the time of the bump, or if the Tribunal is against that, that it was unreasonable for Mansell to contest the ball."

That's right. The AFL has deemed it is unreasonable for a player to contest the ball. I want to see AFL house burn to the ground.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

This is the most perplexing tribunal decision I can recall. A player has never been suspended for carefully bracing himself for inevitable contact before.

No citation. Correct imo. No free kick.

2023, no citation. Correct imo. Free kick.

No citation. Incorrect imo. No free kick.

3 weeks. Free kick.

All those contacted the head of an oncoming opponent. Duncan, Selwood, Mansell had no viable alternative and are all similar imo. Dangerfield should never have got away with a full speed forearm to the face of an oncoming opponent.

Last edited:
"6:12: The AFL is arguing Mansell wasn't contesting the ball at the time of the bump, or if the Tribunal is against that, that it was unreasonable for Mansell to contest the ball."

That's right. The AFL has deemed it is unreasonable for a player to contest the ball. I want to see AFL house burn to the ground.

Bolded should send shivers down the spine of anyone who loves the game.

This whole process is bullshit. You cannot fairly just start suspending players for incidents that have never been suspended before. You first need to change the rules of the sport so players know what they can and cannot do. On those grounds alone I am pretty sure a player could bring a case against the AFL in these circumstances, should he so wish.

Mansell is not a key player but it is not the point. This is just shocking from the AFL.

I can sort of see why the AFL would want this, you don't really want to promote running full speed at a contest and then by "protecting yourself" sending the opponent into the shadow realm... but how do you stop two players running at full speed at the ball from opposite directions? One of them will lose.

Hard one.
If 2 players from the same side are running full speed to contest the ball without seeing one another and concuss each other, will they both get suspended due to the AFLs new concussions rules? I know it's a crazy hypothetical but how is it any different if both players from opposing teams don't see each other prior to making contact?

I remember starting out as a 4 year old doing training in the
Junior League and it was drummed into us as kids - Keep your eyes on the ball!

Well that approach to Junior coaching will have to change from now on by the looks of these tribunal decisions.

Last edited:
Watch bumps like this get walked back come September/Brownlow favourites. Did it already happen with the Bont this round?

“(Star) Player A was within a metre or two of (fringe) Player B and had no option at that point other than to bump to protect himself. As such we find his action reasonable in this circumstance”.

Watch bumps like this get walked back come September/Brownlow favourites. Did it already happen with the Bont this round?

“(Star) Player A was within a metre or two of (fringe) Player B and had no option at that point other than to bump to protect himself. As such we find his action reasonable in this circumstance”.
No. That was Cripps on Ah Chee at the Gabba last year. Got the Brownlow too.

If 2 players from the same side are running full speed to contest the ball without seeing one another and concuss each other, will they both get suspended due to the AFLs new concussions rules? I know it's a crazy hypothetical but how is it any different if both players from opposing teams don't see each other prior to making contact?

I remember starting out as a 4 year old doing training in the
Dandenong Junior League and it was drummed into us as kids - Keep your eyes on the ball!

Well that approach to Junior coaching will have to change from now on by the looks of these tribunal decisions.

Two concussions from round 12 fixtures occurred as a result of team mates taking one another out, Lever on Bowey (knee to the head, marking contest) and Newman on Hewett (elbow to head, while tackling Buddy).

You can't eliminate concussion from the game so stop penalising incident where players have little alternative of avoiding collisions while making a contest.

No other sport in the world punishes players with suspensions like the AFL. You go to the footy to watch star players* and we are going out of our way to make sure they don't play. Mind boggling.

*not referring to Mansell, speaking in general.

MRP / Trib. Rhyan Mansell hit on James Aish

Remove this Banner Ad

Back