MRP / Trib. Rhyan Mansell hit on James Aish

Remove this Banner Ad

Folks, bear in mind that this thread is about Rhyan Mansell on James Aish. It isn’t an open invitation to drop by and ask why Gary Rohan wasn’t suspended for friendly fire on his own team mate.

I understand the arguments you’re making, I really do, but at the end of the day the MRO & tribunal only look at contact when it’s on an opponent.

Arguing that contact on a team mate should be part of their purview is opening up a whole new can of worms, and I’m just not sure we want to go there. In any case it definitely doesn’t belong in this thread.

Thanks, Zev.

If he went low there wouldn’t be a case to answer to. I don’t understand why no one does this anymore. We were all taught as juniors that going low and hard was the best way to both a) protect ourselves and b) minimise the risk of giving away a free kick. Yes, there is the below the knees/slide rule to consider but that’s a moot point unless you actually slide (and the umpires aren’t paying sliding frees/kicking in danger anymore anyway)

If he went low there wouldn’t be a case to answer to. I don’t understand why no one does this anymore. We were all taught as juniors that going low and hard was the best way to both a) protect ourselves and b) minimise the risk of giving away a free kick. Yes, there is the below the knees/slide rule to consider but that’s a moot point unless you actually slide (and the umpires aren’t paying sliding frees/kicking in danger anymore anyway)

I think the difference here is that Mansell enters the contest with a genuine attempt to take possession of the ball (if not for the final bounce of the ball), rather than entering the contest to bump/tackle Aish.

What do you mean exactly by going low?

He is approaching a loose ball at high speed with an opponent approaching it from the opposite direction at high speed. The opponent arrives at the ball a split second before him. What precise movement is Mansell's "go low" option in this scenario? Mansell has no realistic option to tackle because the time elapsed between Aish taking possession of the ball and Mansell arriving is almost instantaneous, way less than would be required to realise tackling is an option.

I think the difference here is that Mansell enters the contest with a genuine attempt to take possession of the ball (if not for the final bounce of the ball), rather than entering the contest to bump/tackle Aish.
It doesn't look that way to me. As he enters the contest, Mansell has eyes on Aish, not the ball. You can see after the contact he has no idea where the ball is. That and the elbow lift should be enough to get 1-2.

It doesn't look that way to me. As he enters the contest, Mansell has eyes on Aish, not the ball. You can see after the contact he has no idea where the ball is. That and the elbow lift should be enough to get 1-2.

But that's because the ball bounces back into Aish. If Mansell has eyes on the ball, he would be looking at Aish anyway, and all of this being in the last second before contact.

Mansell runs in a direct line at the ball. If his eyes divert to Aish it is at the very last split second, just in time to brace for contact. Neither Aish nor Mansell knew where the ball was after contact, you wouldn't either if you had just run into another player where you are both travelling full speed in opposite directions.

Mansell runs in a direct line at the ball. If his eyes divert to Aish it is at the very last split second, just in time to brace for contact. Neither Aish nor Mansell knew where the ball was after contact, you wouldn't either if you had just run into another player where you are both travelling full speed in opposite directions.
Aish had no idea where HE was, let alone the ball. Mansell didn't know where it was because he had stopped looking for it and focused on Aish instead.

Gone.

Aish had no idea where HE was, let alone the ball. Mansell didn't know where it was because he had stopped looking for it and focused on Aish instead.

Gone.

If Mansell gets suspended for that he will be the first ever to go for bracing for impact with reasonable care while contesting the ball. It will change the game. I cannot see him being suspended. What alternative do you think he had?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I 100% think he was bracing for the impact....
View attachment 1711281
In this shot literally less than a second before impact, he was only starting to turn to brace. I dont know what else he could have done......

I honestly think we should just go into the tribunal, ask for the vision to be replayed at normal speed 3 times, and then ask the tribunal what Mansell could've done.

None of this slow-motion bs that makes contact looke more pre-meditated than it is.

I honestly think we should just go into the tribunal, ask for the vision to be replayed at normal speed 3 times, and then ask the tribunal what Mansell could've done.

None of this slow-motion bs that makes contact looke more pre-meditated than it is.

Justin Longmuir tonight stopped short of commenting on the merits of the case, but he did say Mansell(and Aish) was contesting the ball and he feels for him.

Unfortunate things happen in footy some times. This is one of them, Mansell was running for the ball, and has no alternative but to protect himself.

Not sure how the Tribunal lotto will see it though.

Unfortunate things happen in footy some times. This is one of them, Mansell was running for the ball, and has no alternative but to protect himself.

Not sure how the Tribunal lotto will see it though.

Agree. I looked at it like two bulls running at each other, had the same idea in mind, and one came off second best. I happens

MRP / Trib. Rhyan Mansell hit on James Aish

Remove this Banner Ad

Back