Rhyce Shaw announces retirement

Remove this Banner Ad

Premiership player, 128 games for us. Thought he went one 1 season too long but has found some good form this back end of the season.

Congratulations on a good career Rhyce

Obviously a hugely popular player around the club. Definitely embraced being a leader at the club after a few off field issues at the pies

The biggest surprise for me when he came up were his man management and leadership skills around the club. He went from a wild boy on the outer at Collingwood to being an integral part of a Premiership era and a mentor figure.

Deserves a big send off from the supporters.

He's proven almost all of us on here wrong after it was near universally claimed that he was cooked about 2 months ago. He's played very good and efficient football since that point. It's been back to how he has played at his best as a Swan IMO too. Having around 17-19 touches a game and being stout defensively on a dangerous, quick small forward. Lately he's done it in a period of time where a lot of our better players haven't been up to scratch in big games too.

And that's not to mention how universally he's adored by the players as a friend, leader and mentor. Rohan and Johnson always mention him specifically when it comes to who supported them most when they have been recuperating from huge injuries. He's also always brought up when it comes to ensuring new players to the club are ingratiated and welcomed as a Swan. After he came to Sydney as something of a reject from the Magpies, he had to work his arse off to get to where he is now and he's done it brilliantly.

Seems like a coach in waiting and, considering he's done that coaching accreditation, it wouldn't surprise me to see us snap him up to help with development/reserves next season.

A great career and a tremendous football example of resilience, desire and hard work.

Congrats to Rhyce on his career. I'm very happy for him that he was able to improve & reach his potential at the Swans after some good service at the Pies. Wish him all the best for rest of this year and whatever he pursues after footy.

Often maligned at the Pies but his career at the Swans showed his full potential.
Probably lost a yard of pace this year but may have hung around for this year due to trade ban.
Last few weeks has found some form after looking shot 6 weeks ago.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Good to see him playing his best football of the season right now.

One of the surprises of 09 was recruiting him and he had an All Australian standard year of footy.

Inspired pick up from Collingwood when they didn't see him as a Premiership player in what they saw as their next go at it after 2002 and 2003 but then

CMzu9nAUwAALpfa.jpg:large

A Premiership Player and a great leader for us. Sure we all thought he was past it in 2013 when he did his knee, but he came back to get us to the Grand Final last year where we all thought he would then retire but he played on another season. Then we all thought that was a mistake a few months ago and were calling for him to be dropped, but he battled through that slump in form and is as good as ever.

Lesson from his career I guess is never write him off because #nekminnit

Had to happen unfortunately, but he has been a great player I've enjoyed watching. Expect to see Pyke out soon as well.

I thought the club made a mistake when we recruited him and never liked him as a player at Collingwood but I'm glad to say I was completely wrong. What a great role player and great clubman he's been for us. One of those guys like Kirk and Maxfield who's value to the club can't be measured by their on-field ability alone.

I disagree with anyone who says he went on a year too long, as he's been very handy over the second half of the season but I think he's made the right call here.

Definitely hope he sticks around and helps with the reserves/Academy in some capacity. Both Shaws have been great leaders post-Pies and it's a credit to them. Seems like Rhyce also kept a couple of our kids, AJ in particular, in good spirits while on the LTI list.

Brought his finals experience to the Swans and came with the right attitude and instantly became a leader which for me stems from having a very strong family back ground. In other words he seems to sincerely care about others. I feel that's what will be missed the most, who was it that did a pre-season with him to lift their game to the next level ? (Malceski I believe from memory) Still a few games left to give his all and I would expect nothing less from him.

I have seen quite a number of players mention how much Rhyce Shaw has helped them, especially Rohan and Johnson who have both said he helped them a lot in their dark days. That is a sign of a quality man.

As a player he was really good, especially for what we paid for him. He created so much run and drive out of defence and was/is a naturally attacking player. I thought he went on a year too long but in the last few games he seems to have found some more form so it is great he is going out on top.

Had a reputation early on at Collingwood as a bit of a dick. Well, true or not, he's been a champion since he set foot at this club. Always hearing about what a great mentor and friend he is to the younger kids, great leader and all-round clubman. And he has been a bloody handy footy player too (even if he does make us want to pull our hair out occasionally).

Here's hoping we finish the year, and his career, off on a note he deserves. A Premiership would be ideal, but just getting back to the footy we know we can play would be great, however far we go into finals. He deserves it.

Remove this Banner Ad

Rhyce Shaw announces retirement

Remove this Banner Ad

Back