Club Focus Richmond 2024

AFL Club Focus

Remove this Banner Ad

Jun 2, 2014
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
The Rebel Alliance

Data from footywire. To check the draft order see the thread here.

Footywire says: "While we make every effort to keep up to date with player contracts, it is likely that our data may at times be out of date, incomplete or inaccurate. If you find any player contracts that need updating, please let us know using our brand new contract submission form."

He may have more than 20 games in him, only time will tell, but I agree, no-one will trade us anything greater value than what we'd get keeping him. Training the young players, hopefully playing next year too. At best we'd get a mid 2nd rounder, which becomes mid 30's or something like that, there's just no way there is any value in that for us.
What if it's a pick in the 30s in next year's draft? That spreads it out a little more. It's easy enough to get a mature KPP out of the bargain bin like Taberner if the job description is just training younger players and playing in a bottom four side.

If Richmond don't end up with 5 first round picks this year with Baker, Bolton & Rioli leaving I'll call their trade period a failure.
Season 5 What GIF by The Office

At first glance the tigers are cutting too deep.
Second glance isn't much better.
I think some of these trade rumours are bs.
Gutting a wooden spoon team makes no sense.
I can see the uncontacted guys going Richmond don't really have a choice. But the guys they have signed up I can't see them moving. Obviously every has a price but it would want to be good.

I can see the uncontacted guys going Richmond don't really have a choice. But the guys they have signed up I can't see them moving. Obviously every has a price but it would want to be good.

Retire - Dusty, Grimes
Trade - Rioli, Bolton, Graham

Even if all of the above happens, they'll still have plenty of experience in 2025.

Vlastuin
Prestia
Taranto
Short
Lynch
Hopper
Balta
Nankervis
McIntosh
Broad
Pickett

It's aggressive for sure, but I don't think it's too deep.

Errr you should be gutting the team when you are spooner right as you can't get any worse.

You don't want to bottom out in 2028.

Retire - Dusty, Grimes
Trade - Rioli, Bolton, Graham

Even if all of the above happens, they'll still have plenty of experience in 2025.

Vlastuin
Prestia
Taranto
Short
Lynch
Hopper
Balta
Nankervis
McIntosh
Broad
Pickett

It's aggressive for sure, but I don't think it's too deep.

Lynch is hardly going to feature so he's nulled, prestia injury prone, taranto hopper are the only decent players.

The rest are not that impressive. Tigs need a massive injection of youth...all in one hit.

Bottom for 3 more years, hopefully by 2028, it's rising up the ladder.

Errr you should be gutting the team when you are spooner right as you can't get any worse.

You don't want to bottom out in 2028.
I think they realized they're heading to a Eagles like scenario if they don't try to bring in a lot of youth quick and get developing them. They already took a gamble 2 years ago to get back to finals and it failed. Now they need to look to rebuild as fast as possible or end up languishing near the bottom for years. This draft is a deep 1 so it's a good time to start a rebuild. While not ideal but Baker, Bolton, Graham & Rioli are their best currency for draft picks and opens up a huge war chest to bring in players next season.

Lynch is hardly going to feature so he's nulled, prestia injury prone, taranto hopper are the only decent players.

The rest are not that impressive. Tigs need a massive injection of youth...all in one hit.

I don't believe clubs look at this as simplistically as you do.

Lynch may not feature but can still play a role both on and off the field.

They can cut deep at the end of the year and still have a lot of adequate experience there next season, some of whom are better than you are suggesting.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I don't believe clubs look at this as simplistically as you do.

Lynch may not feature but can still play a role both on and off the field.

They can cut deep at the end of the year and still have a lot of adequate experience there next season, some of whom are better than you are suggesting.
Not to mention if all your planning was based on players being injured, you would end going around in circles.

wonder will we still hear Tom Green to richmond this trade window like for the past 5 years.

There is months in between grand final and trade/draft time. Think of a scenario, someone on trade radio will say it at some point.

So you think we should go the really successful North model then?

I was in favor of it before Rioli, Baker and Rioli looked like leaving. No need now. If all those guys leave we'll have a ridiculous draft hand.
The draft hand can always be more ridiculous though. Say pick 1 goes on the best midfielder, the more draft capital you have, the more likely you can get the best KPF and the best KPD too. And it's a deep draft so there will be plenty of good players available.

Yeah but you need some senior players too.
This is true, but Richmond are going to have Balta, Broad, Grimes, Hopper, Lynch, McIntosh, Nankervis, Prestia, Short, Taranto and Vlastuin all on the roster next year. Even if Grimes retires, are all 10 necessary, given next year's results don't matter?

And even if it's better to have 10 veterans, they don't have to be world beaters. Hopper, Lynch and Taranto would all bring something decent back in a trade and it isn't hard to acquire another veteran to replace them. If Lynch goes, get Tim Membrey or Matt Taberner for nothing as a free agent. If Hopper or Taranto go, get Will Setterfield or Will Brodie to replace them for a low value pick. If more experience is needed, get Rory Atkins, Jarryd Lyons, Brodie Smith or Seb Ross in. There are options.

This is true, but Richmond are going to have Balta, Broad, Grimes, Hopper, Lynch, McIntosh, Nankervis, Prestia, Short, Taranto and Vlastuin all on the roster next year. Even if Grimes retires, are all 10 necessary, given next year's results don't matter?

And even if it's better to have 10 veterans, they don't have to be world beaters. Hopper, Lynch and Taranto would all bring something decent back in a trade and it isn't hard to acquire another veteran to replace them. If Lynch goes, get Tim Membrey or Matt Taberner for nothing as a free agent. If Hopper or Taranto go, get Will Setterfield or Will Brodie to replace them for a low value pick. If more experience is needed, get Rory Atkins, Jarryd Lyons, Brodie Smith or Seb Ross in. There are options.
Yuck.

Remove this Banner Ad

Club Focus Richmond 2024

Remove this Banner Ad

Back