Club Focus Richmond 2024

AFL Club Focus

Remove this Banner Ad

Jun 2, 2014
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
The Rebel Alliance

Data from footywire. To check the draft order see the thread here.

Footywire says: "While we make every effort to keep up to date with player contracts, it is likely that our data may at times be out of date, incomplete or inaccurate. If you find any player contracts that need updating, please let us know using our brand new contract submission form."

I posted this in another thread but it reminds me a bit of the 2004 draft. There were plenty of guns in that draft, and Richmond had pick 1, pick 4 and 5 picks in the top 20.

They ended up drafting Brett Deledio, Richard Tambling, Danny Meyer, Adam Pattinson and Dean Polo. Meanwhile the Hawks got Franklin, Roughead and Lewis.

All these picks mean nothing if you whiff the selections or don't have enough senior experience to develop the kids. High risk and high reward but the only guarantee is at least 1 more wooden spoon and years of on-field misery. It's a pyrrhic victory at the absolute best. B+
That was 20 years ago but i get your point.
More darts at the dart board the better IMO.

Can’t remember a draft not getting talked up a month out.

Us Roos have been paying close attention for a lot of years now - you guys are rookies.

IMO it looks like it has good depth but lacking the star power of previous years. I don’t see a Reid, JHF or Sheezel.

A fair summary that appears to be backed up by actions of other clubs. WC splitting their pick 3, North open to splitting pick 2 if the deals right, but at the same time other clubs desperate to get within the top 20 odd picks (except for clubs needing talent for a shot at the flag or needing points for FS/academy bids).

What about something like

2 / 11 / 24 for pick 2 and North's F2
I'm guessing you meant 6/11/24?

I personally wouldn't be happy with that deal. By reports the top 6 players are very even. Pick 24 (Richmond's second) is likely to be stronger than a mid 20's (Norths second) next year.

Though it depends how desperate Blair is to get the Lalor FOS combo.

I would be happy with the deal if pick 24 was not a part of it. (Pick 6 and 11 for Norths pick 2 and F2). Though I don't think you would be happy with that or North would do that deal.

You might want to add North to that list as well
Brady is one of the easiest list managers to get your way with these days
Daniel #25 and we cant forget the CCj fiasco
CCJ & Paul Curtis for Tarrent and a future 2nd a fiasco? Wasn't that used on the shocking 7 year Tim Taranto deal?

That was 20 years ago but i get your point.
More darts at the dart board the better IMO.

Yeah, had to go back a while as it's pretty rare to get a draft hand of this size. I agree with you on the darts analogy, more throws the better in your situation, just want to acknowledge that they won't all be bullseyes.

I'm guessing you meant 6/11/24?

I personally wouldn't be happy with that deal. By reports the top 6 players are very even. Pick 24 (Richmond's second) is likely to be stronger than a mid 20's (Norths second) next year.

Though it depends how desperate Blair is to get the Lalor FOS combo.

I would be happy with the deal if pick 24 was not a part of it. (Pick 6 and 11 for Norths pick 2 and F2). Though I don't think you would be happy with that or North would do that deal.
Yes, typo, meant 6, sorry.

My dream scenario for North this draft period is

One of Tauru / Armstrong
One of Hannaford / Berry
One of Whitlock / Gerreyn / Faull

If that's not possible, just one of the first two, and one of the latter 5 would be fine.

I posted this in another thread but it reminds me a bit of the 2004 draft. There were plenty of guns in that draft, and Richmond had pick 1, pick 4 and 5 picks in the top 20.

They ended up drafting Brett Deledio, Richard Tambling, Danny Meyer, Adam Pattinson and Dean Polo. Meanwhile the Hawks got Franklin, Roughead and Lewis.

All these picks mean nothing if you whiff the selections or don't have enough senior experience to develop the kids. High risk and high reward but the only guarantee is at least 1 more wooden spoon and years of on-field misery. It's a pyrrhic victory at the absolute best. B+
Richmond of 2004 is not in the same universe as Richmond of 2024. Struggling club with crippling debt, minimum recruiting staff and terrible development. Only thing the same now to 20 years ago is our name and colours.

As someone posted elsewhere

Richmond have as many 1st round draft picks this year as Eagles have had in total in the last 10 years

Very well done. No wonder they sacked that oxygen thief in Matt Clarke
Don't think we had the balls to sack him. You guys just took one for the our team. Good lord imagine him with 8 top 24 picks. 7 hbf's and a crappy fwd/ruck that isn't really any good at either.

Apologies if its already been answered, but what's the deal with Richmond's list spots. How many vacancies & OOC do you have left?
10 & 4 I'm pretty sure. Kamdyn, Cumberland, Dow & Coulthard were told to wait. Coulthard & Cumbo will likely get delisted and we will promote 1 to senior list as we have 8 rookies including Coulthard currently.

Think Kamdyn & Dow survive and that leaves 8.

10 & 4 I'm pretty sure. Kamdyn, Cumberland, Dow & Coulthard were told to wait. Coulthard & Cumbo will likely get delisted and we will promote 1 to senior list as we have 8 rookies including Coulthard currently.

Think Kamdyn & Dow survive and that leaves 8.
Thanks. So I guess negotiations with North around pick 2 would commence from a position where its technically possible Richmond could take all its first rounders and pick 24 to the draft.

(Though I suspect there may be an openness to diversifying your hand by swapping at least one of your later picks to get further into the 2025 draft, if possible?)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Richmond of 2004 is not in the same universe as Richmond of 2024. Struggling club with crippling debt, minimum recruiting staff and terrible development. Only thing the same now to 20 years ago is our name and colours.

Oh for sure. But the drafting over the last few years has been pretty dreadful, so if that continues things could stay bad for a long time. Hopefully you have a few new faces in the scouting department.

I understand that someone just passed away in the recruiting team, so that would understandably make this busy time way more stressful. More important things than football though, RIP to the gent who passed.

Thanks. So I guess negotiations with North around pick 2 would commence from a position where its technically possible Richmond could take all its first rounders and pick 24 to the draft.

(Though I suspect there may be an openness to diversifying your hand by swapping at least one of your later picks to get further into the 2025 draft, if possible?)
Correct. We can definitely take all 8. We'd probably look to do what we did last year and slide back spots for futures depending how desperate a team is but think we ultimately take 8 picks. Could promote an extra player and take pick 1 in rookie draft if we did decide to trade up or out.

2004 was 20 years ago when Richmond had 1 part time recruiter and selected kids by watching snippets
Drafting has changed massively now and teams have 4-5 people in the recuiting team with 10-15 scouts in all states as well as recordings of every game kids play the last 2 years.

Its a different world now
Welcome to 2024

The biggest part of the gamble is getting these young players up to AFL standard over the next 3-4 years with only a handful of senior players continuing with them.

Hopper, Prestia, Short and Taranto will be shouldering a lot of the burden in driving this team forward. Nank, Lynch and Vlaustin have about 2 years left each, max.

If they're not back being competitive by 2027 when Vlaustin, Lynch and Nank depart or decline, it'll be a tough slog.

They finished bottom with a % of 63 and lost:

Martin, Grimes, Baker, Bolton, Graham, Pickett and Rioli. Some of these had limited output in 2024, but they were around the club

They had a bad run with injuries this year, but they'll still almost certainly get worse, lucky to win 1 game and have a % worse than 63.

Nobody hates on the tigers like tigers fans when they're not doing well.

2004 was 20 years ago when Richmond had 1 part time recruiter and selected kids by watching snippets
Drafting has changed massively now and teams have 4-5 people in the recuiting team with 10-15 scouts in all states as well as recordings of every game kids play the last 2 years.

Its a different world now
Welcome to 2024

And in 2024 you've had several years of poor draft picks...

Welcome to reality

What about 6 and 24 for 2 and you keep your F2
Many of my fellow supporters disagree, but if all other options for trading with your mob were exhausted, I would go as low as 6 and 18 for 2.

On paper its not a great return for us, but it means we get:
either Tauru or Armstrong and
either Whitlock, Shanahan or Faull,
which is the lowest return I would be prepared to slide down for.

Pick 24 doesn't get us that.

If that was Richmond's highest offer, I'd just take FOS or Draper and curse the footy gods once again.

The biggest part of the gamble is getting these young players up to AFL standard over the next 3-4 years with only a handful of senior players continuing with them.

Hopper, Prestia, Short and Taranto will be shouldering a lot of the burden in driving this team forward. Nank, Lynch and Vlaustin have about 2 years left each, max.

If they're not back being competitive by 2027 when Vlaustin, Lynch and Nank depart or decline, it'll be a tough slog.

They finished bottom with a % of 63 and lost:

Martin, Grimes, Baker, Bolton, Graham, Pickett and Rioli. Some of these had limited output in 2024, but they were around the club

They had a bad run with injuries this year, but they'll still almost certainly get worse, lucky to win 1 game and have a % worse than 63.

Nobody hates on the tigers like tigers fans when they're not doing well.

With our salary cap space, we will look at Free Agency using no picks in the future.

Last edited:
I do not believe Richmond will trade for pick 2

The hard work has been done and both pick 2 and pick 3 where available to us and we did not do the deal on either

This puts nth in a tough spot , reckon gws may be the best option for them

Many of my fellow supporters disagree, but if all other options for trading with your mob were exhausted, I would go as low as 6 and 18 for 2.

On paper its not a great return for us, but it means we get:
either Tauru or Armstrong and
either Whitlock, Shanahan or Faull,
which is the lowest return I would be prepared to slide down for.

Pick 24 doesn't get us that.

If that was Richmond's highest offer, I'd just take FOS or Draper and curse the footy gods once again.
I'd rather we didn't even bother but i have no say in it so you're lucky.

Very frustrating that North fans see us as some kind of lolly machine that can spit out good picks because we are well stocked. If you guys want so much for pick 2 then you should keep it.

I'd rather we didn't even bother but i have no say in it so you're lucky.

Very frustrating that North fans see us as some kind of lolly machine that can spit out good picks because we are well stocked. If you guys want so much for pick 2 then you should keep it.
No idea what you're on about mate.

Most neutrals would agree 6 and 18 for 2 is more than fair.

If your team agrees its not worth it, they'll just say "thanks, but no thanks" and take your current picks to the draft. ¯\(ツ)

Remove this Banner Ad

Club Focus Richmond 2024

Remove this Banner Ad

Back