Review Winners and losers - trade week 2024

Remove this Banner Ad

Rory Atkins does not look match-fit. He looks like he's spent the last few months on an eating tour of America's fast food establishments. A bit round if you know what I mean.

I see what Hawthorn are doing as fairly risky. No good draft picks this year. Relying on Carlton failing next year. Trading out good picks for a 29yo with injury history. With a few injuries and a tougher draw they could easily finish bottom 4 again imo.

It's Carlton, I'd take that bet.

North was good this year.

We were one of the few teams that lost no players in trades/free agency.

Our best 23 improves substantially.

Sellers, Nyuon, Taylor and Free becomes Parker, Daniel, Darling and Konstanty.

The question of our 2025 captaincy will be a fascinating watch.

People complain about pick 25, but Daniel will contribute to our immediate competitiveness more than any draftee around that pick would do. Besides, once we split 2 into a couple first rounders, and take a f/s rookie (River Stevens) we'll be basically out of list spots.

So I'd put our trade season in the second tier.

Carlton, Hawthorn and Geelong in the top.

GWS, Sydney and WC bottom tier.

Adelaide clear winners. 3 ins and no outs. Sid Draper secured with Eagles out of the picture.

Rest are middle tier atm. Tigers lost 4 best 22 to claim their draft haul to consider them winners.

Eagles the clear losers so far.

North was good this year.

We were one of the few teams that lost no players in trades/free agency.

Our best 23 improves substantially.

Sellers, Nyuon, Taylor and Free becomes Parker, Daniel, Darling and Konstanty.

The question of our 2025 captaincy will be a fascinating watch.

People complain about pick 25, but Daniel will contribute to our immediate competitiveness more than any draftee around that pick would do. Besides, once we split 2 into a couple first rounders, and take a f/s rookie (River Stevens) we'll be basically out of list spots.

So I'd put our trade season in the second tier.

Carlton, Hawthorn and Geelong in the top.

GWS, Sydney and WC bottom tier.
I would be a bit nervous if I was a North fan with those imports.
On the positive - it provides some experience and maturity around a team that has a lot of talented youth.
On the negative - it can give a false dawn with a bunch of wins while still having a very underwhelming spine

Interesting to note that not 1 journo had WCE as a loser despite the reactions from the fans, me included.

I hope the Richmond fans are buckled in for some extreme pain over the next 3 years where I can see them not winning a game next year.

Gave up 3 of their best players for their 2024 draft hand while they'll continue to retire their previous premiership stars.

I have a feeling that the patience of their supporters will well and truly be tested by 2028.

Houston is very good player but if Collingwood doesn’t win a premiership in the next 2-3 years it’s a failure with compromised drafts and a ageing playing list. It’s a high risk high reward move be interesting to see how it plays out
IF Richmond not a Dynasty in about 4-5 Seasons then could they be Failure then with all the High Draft Picks they got?

I would be a bit nervous if I was a North fan with those imports.
On the positive - it provides some experience and maturity around a team that has a lot of talented youth.
On the negative - it can give a false dawn with a bunch of wins while still having a very underwhelming spine
A spine of Logue / Comben / Xerri / Larkey / Darling - with Will Dawson waiting in the wings - is not "very underwhelming" imo.

I'm assuming we split 2 and go for Tauru and the best available key forward in this draft. That will correct our list balance deficiency of good young talls, you'd hope. The idea being that Armstrong / Shanahan / Whitlock or even Maley push Darling out within a couple years.

Collingwood-yes they got Houston cheaper than he was worth but I really don't think he's a need for them and their tall stocks are poor. I can see them missing finals and no r1 again.
We looking adding a Tall in the DFA with most Likely Membery

Then Looking at Drafting KPP

We not Completely Ignoring that

Daicos was in effect the no1 draft pick

Ed Allan and DeMattia have looked very Promising in the VFL

yes I know that know Guarantee at AFL Level but gives Hope

Allan had a Great Final game vs Demons

Very happy to get Macrae for pick 45 and still keep a second round pick in 32.

Not a big trade period for us but we've made the most of our opportunities
Macrae is a good pick up. He's far better than some of the narrative on here suggests. Good trainer as well

IF Richmond not a Dynasty in about 4-5 Seasons then could they be Failure then with all the High Draft Picks they got?

It reminds me a bit of the 2004 draft. There were plenty of guns in that draft, and Richmond had pick 1, pick 4 and 5 picks in the top 20.

They ended up drafting Brett Deledio, Richard Tambling, Danny Meyer, Adam Pattinson and Dean Polo. Meanwhile the Hawks got Franklin, Roughead and Lewis.

All these picks mean nothing if you whiff the selections or don't have enough senior experience to develop the kids. High risk and high reward but the only guarantee is at least 1 more wooden spoon and years of on-field misery. It's a pyrrhic victory at the absolute best. B+

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Daicos was in effect the no1 draft pick
Agreed, so Collingwood essentially got the best player in the draft, without investing high end draft picks. We used a bunch of scraps on Daicos.

You could easily make the argument that Daicos is a unicorn and probably shouldnt be used as a case study for not needing top picks, I mean the bloke polled the seconds most brownlow votes ever this year, but it is what it is I guess.

Agreed, so Collingwood essentially got the best player in the draft, without investing high end draft picks. We used a bunch of scraps on Daicos.

You could easily make the argument that Daicos is a unicorn and probably shouldnt be used as a case study for not needing top picks, I mean the bloke polled the seconds most brownlow votes ever this year, but it is what it is I guess.
And the only reason you got to use lower end picks is because of father and son

Firstly :
These annual awards need an appropriate title going forward.
They can be named after none other than the Bradman of Trade Week himself !!

C2274AF3-2849-403F-B163-11E046EA389E-4643-00000B63AD1B826E.gif

Winners :

Geelong poleaxed Footscray for Smith.

Fremantle landed the player that could drive them into the 4.

Carlton walk away with pick 3.

Losers :

On top of everything else Port stuffed up, they just traded in the worst player in the competition.

West Coast somehow managed to assist in placing themselves in check mate and losing pick 3 for a handful of magic beans in the process.

Melbourne have an atomic bomb ticking away in their lounge room and they just swept it under the carpet.

* Special mention to the 2 irrelevant clubs in Essendon and St.Kilda who managed to come up with … you guessed it … nothing.

* Special mention to Richmond.
Yes they are armed with picks but they still have to be converted into AFL quality players.
In the meantime, winless seasons are very much on the cards in the coming years.

Port not a winner
Eagles also probably would have liked time again

Tigers with a huge haul to take to the draft even if it meant losing 3 of their better players
Richmond won the trade period easily.

We are used to Essendon and Adrian Dodoro winning each trade period. But even the legendary Dodoro bows down to richmond.

Apparently they chose our futures over Carlton's too. So that could be another thing to bite them. Blues arent magically stronger next year unless their pick 3 jumps out of the gate and gives Cripps and Walsh the help they need.

I would have chosen Hawthorn's F1 over Carlton's too. Lets not forget Carlton were top 4 before being decimated with injuries (in key areas too). As good as the Hawks were it's always harder for a young side (and it still is young in areas) to back up a good season, they get a harder draw too. Any future bet is a punt, I'd punt on Hawks before I punt on Carlton getting decimated again

Stoked with our result. Blair was a genius by acquiring all those late picks last year for Soldo and by trading back twice by live trades on draft night. All those points were crucial in helping bring in 6 extra first rounders. Was a perfect storm for us given GC and Freo were desperate for two of our contracted gun players and both clubs had plenty of draft capital to hand over.

Now to nail the picks....

I personally think Richmond has made a huge mistake trading out its older players. Having a team filled with very young and talented players but being pumped by 80+ points every week is not a good strategy, as proven by the early years of GWS and Gold Coast.

If a team is being smashed every week the young players just don't develop the way you would like.
Refusing to trade players that wanted out would have been a huge mistake.

Nick Haynes is my dark horse to have one of the best years out of the trade crop,

Richmond channelling Brando won the trade period to get top draft picks to rebuild before Tassie... but now monty for the spoon.

But probably more about the teams who are going to play finals who have strengthened their teams for next year.

Pies have brought in 2 quality players in Houston & Perryman which put them very much in flag mix.

Cats needed Smith to boost their midfield.

Hawks have brought in 2 key position defenders which they badly needed & allows Sicily to play forward more.

Freo happy to get Bolton, but paid overs.

No excuses for Crows missing finals strengthening midfield/flanks with Cumming, Peatling & ANB.
Richmond won the trade period hands down.

Adrian Dodoro always won trade week. Dodoro can only dream of half the good trades Richmond did in this trade period.

Richmond won't care about winning the spoon next season. they will pile up on picks in the 2025 and 2026 draft. Let tassie pile up in the 2027 draft.

I don't really see Carlton as an overall winner at all, aside from acquiring pick 3.

They already had the weakest best 22 depth out of all the contenders, and just moved on two of them in Kennedy and Owies.
If a couple of the their 'big 6' get injured again next season they'll struggle to make finals.

Remove this Banner Ad

Review Winners and losers - trade week 2024

Remove this Banner Ad

Back