Club Focus Richmond 2024

AFL Club Focus

Remove this Banner Ad

Jun 2, 2014
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
The Rebel Alliance

Data from footywire. To check the draft order see the thread here.

Footywire says: "While we make every effort to keep up to date with player contracts, it is likely that our data may at times be out of date, incomplete or inaccurate. If you find any player contracts that need updating, please let us know using our brand new contract submission form."

No idea what you're on about mate.

Most neutrals would agree 6 and 18 for 2 is more than fair.

If your team agrees its not worth it, they'll just say "thanks, but no thanks" and take your current picks to the draft. ¯\(ツ)
In a normal draft I might agree with you. But this is really the first draft where there are 6 or more guys who are being touted as possible #1 pick. We get one of those straight up. Wait five more picks and we get another one regardless, and still keep 18.

Many of my fellow supporters disagree, but if all other options for trading with your mob were exhausted, I would go as low as 6 and 18 for 2.

On paper its not a great return for us, but it means we get:
either Tauru or Armstrong and
either Whitlock, Shanahan or Faull,
which is the lowest return I would be prepared to slide down for.

Pick 24 doesn't get us that.

If that was Richmond's highest offer, I'd just take FOS or Draper and curse the footy gods once again.
Yeah, I think it'll be 6 & 18.

I do not believe Richmond will trade for pick 2
I will be surprised if we don't.

We have a top 2: FOS and Lalor. We can only get both if we trade for pick 2. We have the picks.

1, 2, 10, 11, 20, 23, 24 is still a monster hand. Especially when we'll almost certainly do what we did with pick 35 last year with our last pick or two: trade down while gaining a future pick. Only it'll be F1s and F2s, not F3s, we're collecting.

With our salary cap space, we will look at Free Agency using no picks in the future.
Will be competing with an extra-cashed up Tassie club by 2028 and few players will want to come while you're on the bottom in 2025 and 2026.

That's why 2027 is so important. If it's not done by then, it'll be a tough slog.

Or, you might do what Hawthorn did, ace a few drafts before the new club and then no other clubs can catch up because Tassie are soaking up all the talent.

In a normal draft I might agree with you. But this is really the first draft where there are 6 or more guys who are being touted as possible #1 pick. We get one of those straight up. Wait five more picks and we get another one regardless, and still keep 18.

There isn't really.

There's very much a perceived gap with most clubs now between Lalor, Smith and FOS from a Victorian POV.

Ashcroft isn't in the open pool, Draper is not a #1 consideration.

Langford has some serious athletic question marks (and has all year) even with his improved endurance numbers and Smillie has AFL suitability questions. I wouldn't be shocked if one of them lasts outside the top 10.

Any of Tauru, Armstrong, Travaglia, Lombard and Kako going ahead of them wouldn't be a shock. None of those 5 are #1 considerations like you would be intimating claiming the top 6 is.

It's even, more even than most years for sure, but saying you can throw a blanket over the top 6-7 isn't what is viewed by clubs. Carlton didn't trade up for Pick 6. Pick 6 wont get FOS.

You may not rate that difference but that's your personal opinion only. Clubs certainly view the opportunity of FOS/Smith far higher than Langford/Smillie atm imo.

What will be interesting is whether Richmond would have their head turned for a Pick 2 and F1 package from North for a larger portion of picks.

Last edited:
No idea what you're on about mate.

Most neutrals would agree 6 and 18 for 2 is more than fair.

If your team agrees its not worth it, they'll just say "thanks, but no thanks" and take your current picks to the draft. ¯\(ツ)

Rather we just kept all our picks, let North keep pick 2 or trade it to some other team. I've seen a few 6 & 18 suggestions but also a lot of 6 & 10 or 11 suggestions with future pick and those can get in the bin.

Rather we just kept all our picks, let North keep pick 2 or trade it to some other team. I've seen a few 6 & 18 suggestions but also a lot of 6 & 10 or 11 suggestions with future pick and those can get in the bin.

I suggest Richmond would be at 6 & 18 and we will be one of those other options.

It really depends on how hot they are on FOS.

There's been plenty of rumors they have been all over him for months.

Carlton have done North a solid in all honesty. They have placed themselves as a certainty to get one of FOS or Smith.

Many of my fellow supporters disagree, but if all other options for trading with your mob were exhausted, I would go as low as 6 and 18 for 2.

On paper its not a great return for us, but it means we get:
either Tauru or Armstrong and
either Whitlock, Shanahan or Faull,
which is the lowest return I would be prepared to slide down for.

Pick 24 doesn't get us that.

If that was Richmond's highest offer, I'd just take FOS or Draper and curse the footy gods once again.
That would be my expected trade

North will want #6 & #11
Richmond will offer #6 & #23 .................. Then #20
#6 & #18 will most likely be the trade imo

Dont think we would be interested in your F1 unless its with a later pick and was mentioned North wanted to trade F1 for the GC #13 last week

That would be my expected trade

North will want #6 & #11
Richmond will offer #6 & #23 .................. Then #20
#6 & #18 will most likely be the trade imo

Dont think we would be interested in your F1 unless its with a later pick and was mentioned North wanted to trade F1 for the GC #13 last week

A later pick :tearsofjoy:

#13 was a part of it, we never saw the full extent of that trade.

I suggest Richmond would be at 6 & 18 and we will be one of those other options.

Carlton have done North a solid in all honesty.

We have a couple of very vocal FOS supporters on our board, so whenever its mentioned we overlook him they always feel the need to add their 2 cents.

Personal take is there are 6 players who seem to stand out or named a lot, so if we get 2 of those and done our homework then I'd be in favour to go down that path. It seems odd to me that FOS was named as their main target for the Blues in the media, i seriously doubt it, think they are wanting Lalor or Draper personally.

Carlton have done North a solid in all honesty. They have placed themselves as a certainty to get one of FOS or Smith.
Richmond hold pick #1 and will take the player they are 'Hot' for with that pick
you can throw a blanket over 7/8 kids in the top 8 and to be perfect hones i think Richmond is the only club that would offer a pick as high as 6 for north to slide back that have the extra pick to give

Its 2 of FOS/Jagga/Lalor/Draper/Langford/Smillie/Tauru/Reid/Armstrong so im not too fussed which 2 we end up with if no trade

We have a couple of very vocal FOS supporters on our board, so whenever its mentioned we overlook him they always feel the need to add their 2 cents.

Personal take is there are 6 players who seem to stand out or named a lot, so if we get 2 of those and done our homework then I'd be in favour to go down that path. It seems odd to me that FOS was named as their main target for the Blues in the media, i seriously doubt it, think they are wanting Lalor or Draper personally.

The FOS rumors didn't generate in the media.

It's been around well before the trade period, as early as June and the first 6-10 rounds of the CTL/APS season.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Richmond hold pick #1 and will take the player they are 'Hot' for with that pick
you can throw a blanket over 7/8 kids in the top 8 and to be perfect hones i think Richmond is the only club that would offer a pick as high as 6 for north to slide back that have the extra pick to give

Its 2 of FOS/Jagga/Lalor/Draper/Langford/Smillie/Tauru/Reid/Armstrong so im not too fussed which 2 we end up with if no trade

No you can't.

Most boards would have the first 3-4 names in virtually similar orders. Meaning that is simply incorrect.

You will have absolutely no hope of getting Jagga at Pick 8.

Which means you can't throw a blanket over the top 8. That is your opinion.

The same can be said for FOS, the same can now be said for Lalor, likely Draper.

There's then a gap to Langford, Smillie and the others.

No you can't.

Most boards would have the first 3-4 names in virtually similar orders. Meaning that is simply incorrect.

Cool North can take Jagga :thumbsu:

also most boards had smillie at #1

There isn't really.

There's very much a perceived gap with most clubs now between Lalor, Smith and FOS from a Victorian POV.

Ashcroft isn't in the open pool, Draper is not a #1 consideration.

Langford has some serious athletic question marks (and has all year) even with his improved endurance numbers and Smillie has AFL suitability questions. I wouldn't be shocked if one of them lasts outside the top 10.

Any of Tauru, Armstrong, Travaglia, Lombard and Kako going ahead of them wouldn't be a shock. None of those 5 are #1 considerations like you would be intimating claiming the top 6 is.

It's even, more even than most years for sure, but saying you can throw a blanket over the top 6-7 isn't what is viewed by clubs. Carlton didn't trade up for Pick 6. Pick 6 wont get FOS.

You may not rate that difference but that's your personal opinion only. Clubs certainly view the opportunity of FOS/Smith far higher than Langford/Smillie atm imo.

What will be interesting is whether Richmond would have their head turned for a Pick 2 and F1 package from North for a larger portion of picks.
I wont make it long but just point out a couple of things
Eagles would have taken Draper at #3 and there is a lot of talk Carlton are into Draper.
Langford is ranked #2 in Cal's last ranking and Reid at #5 Lalor #6 and Tauru at #10

Richmond could easily select Lalor #1 and Tauru at #6 and we would all be just as happy
North can have FOS / Jagga at pick #2

That is acceptable

No you can't.

The same can be said for FOS, the same can now be said for Lalor, likely Draper.

There's then a gap to Langford, Smillie and the others.

Do you see a reasonable way in which we could get pick 2 and not give up pick 6 in the process? Probably not worth it for us, and maybe not even you guys, but I wouldnt be suprised if we are desperate to keep 6 also.

If Richmond do actually want FOS, they definitely now have to trade up for 2.
If Richmond really wanted the Carlton pick #3
We would have just done Baker +#10 for pick #3 and the eagles would now be holding #10 instead of #12 and Richmond would have #1 , #3 , #6 , #11 , #18

clearly #3 was not really that important to worry about

I wont make it long but just point out a couple of things
Eagles would have taken Draper at #3 and there is a lot of talk Carlton are into Draper.
Langford is ranked #2 in Cal's last ranking and Reid at #5 Lalor #6 and Tauru at #10

Richmond could easily select Lalor #1 and Tauru at #6 and we would all be just as happy
North can have FOS / Jagga at pick #2

Yep, it's not a bad thing if we don't pick FOS, there is still another 3 or 4 names worth reading out at pick 6. They all can't be taken at 2 or 3.

If the club honestly thinks FOS is the pick, then we take him at 1.

Do you see a reasonable way in which we could get pick 2 and not give up pick 6 in the process? Probably not worth it for us, and maybe not even you guys, but I wouldnt be suprised if we are desperate to keep 6 also.
If we did want to trade out GWS would jump at it with #15 , #16 + F1
they dont mind paying up picks to move up

Remove this Banner Ad

Club Focus Richmond 2024

Remove this Banner Ad

Back