Club Focus Richmond 2024

AFL Club Focus

Remove this Banner Ad

Jun 2, 2014
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
The Rebel Alliance

Data from footywire. To check the draft order see the thread here.

Footywire says: "While we make every effort to keep up to date with player contracts, it is likely that our data may at times be out of date, incomplete or inaccurate. If you find any player contracts that need updating, please let us know using our brand new contract submission form."

Oh for sure. But the drafting over the last few years has been pretty dreadful, so if that continues things could stay bad for a long time. Hopefully you have a few new faces in the scouting department.

I understand that someone just passed away in the recruiting team, so that would understandably make this busy time way more stressful. More important things than football though, RIP to the gent who passed.
Yes very sad and puts things into perspective. Saying that both Blair Hartley and Francis Jackson(the 2 main players in our list/recruitment) of our dynasty team have assumed more responsibility in the draft/recruiting side of things the last few months, so I think we are in good hands.
Terrible news though with him being only 42 with a young family.

I wont make it long but just point out a couple of things
Eagles would have taken Draper at #3 and there is a lot of talk Carlton are into Draper.
Langford is ranked #2 in Cal's last ranking and Reid at #5 Lalor #6 and Tauru at #10

Richmond could easily select Lalor #1 and Tauru at #6 and we would all be just as happy
North can have FOS / Jagga at pick #2

Langford will not go at #2 and Draper will not go above any of Lalor, Smith or FOS.

Harvey's preseason testing was diabolical and he's just tested the 4th slowest 20m time at the combine. He's hardly the size of Bontempelli either to offset it.

He's a natural footballer, but it's going to cap how high he goes.

I would be extremely happy with either of those at #2 personally.

I suggest Richmond would be at 6 & 18 and we will be one of those other options.

It really depends on how hot they are on FOS.

There's been plenty of rumors they have been all over him for months.

Carlton have done North a solid in all honesty. They have placed themselves as a certainty to get one of FOS or Smith.
6 & 18 is fair I think. If we do want FOS and Lalor which all the noise seems to confirm, only way to make it happen is trade for 2.

I wonder how much Richmond rates Finn. Would they prefer Finn to, say, Tauru + Hotton? Or Langford + Shanahan?
That's where it gets dicey for me. We need young talent all over the park and the gap between FOS and say 2 other players combined just isnt there in my eyes.

I wonder how much Richmond rates Finn. Would they prefer Finn to, say, Tauru + Hotton? Or Langford + Shanahan?
I actually think we'll take Smith with pick 1, and then trade up for pick 2 and take Lalor.

Smith dominated when he played for our VFL side, and that goes a long way because he would have dominated in our system and right under the eyes of our recruiters.

My preference would be FOS + Lalor if possible, but Smith seems a very safe pick in that his floor looks to be a very good player for a long time, even if perhaps not superstar potential.

With regards to trading up for pick 2, Richmond won't do it unless it's clearly in their best interests.

In a draft that's fantastically deep and even I don't see it happening unless North wants to get bent over CCJ trade-style again. Considering the Caleb Daniel trade though maybe we do.

With regards to trading up for pick 2, Richmond won't do it unless it's clearly in their best interests.

In a draft that's fantastically deep and even I don't see it happening unless North wants to get bent over CCJ trade-style again. Considering the Caleb Daniel trade though maybe we do.
Happy to bend you over Ocha 😘

Happy to bend you over Ocha 😘
In case you can't tell the CCJ trade still gives me ptsd. Fair to say you own us at the trade table so I fear the worst.

In case you can't tell the CCJ trade still gives me ptsd. Fair to say you own us at the trade table so I fear the worst.
Hopefully continues if we go for pick 2 and you hold no resentment when dealing 😂

FWIW we traded the pick for Taranto but don't think it's amounted to much wherever it ended up.

I suggest Richmond would be at 6 & 18 and we will be one of those other options.

It really depends on how hot they are on FOS.

There's been plenty of rumors they have been all over him for months.

Carlton have done North a solid in all honesty. They have placed themselves as a certainty to get one of FOS or Smith.
What have you heard? He's our guy @1??

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I actually think we'll take Smith with pick 1, and then trade up for pick 2 and take Lalor.

Smith dominated when he played for our VFL side, and that goes a long way because he would have dominated in our system and right under the eyes of our recruiters.

My preference would be FOS + Lalor if possible, but Smith seems a very safe pick in that his floor looks to be a very good player for a long time, even if perhaps not superstar potential.
I guess even if Smith is a bit of a one-note extractor like Tom Mitchell, that's still very useful if he does it to high quality. Mitchell did win a Brownlow and a premiership after all.

Hopefully continues if we go for pick 2 and you hold no resentment when dealing 😂
In a normal year pick 2 for 6 and 18 or 10 and 11 is fair according to the, albeit dodgy, points table (noting teams give up more pointsto move up) -

1729148435037.png

But this isn't a normal draft year with a standout couple of players so don't see Richmond going for it. There's way too many good options in the 10-25 range that you have almost a monopoly in.

FWIW we traded the pick for Taranto but don't think it's amounted to much wherever it ended up.
Whilst he's been disappointing so far, Taranto was highly sought after at the time and every other team would've done that deal in a heartbeat. Without 19 you might've given up a future first upgrade or even even straight up which would've been disastrous.

I guess even if Smith is a bit of a one-note extractor like Tom Mitchell, that's still very useful if he does it to high quality. Mitchell did win a Brownlow and a premiership after all.
He looks a lot quicker and more agile than Mitchell, but I think he is an accumulator and distributor type.

Word is that we are very happy with where we are at
Our picks are spaced out beautifully, that any sliders on our list will be swept up pronto
The hard work has been done

We could have traded for 2 and for 3 in the last week, and said, no thanks.
That will not change, unless Nth accepts 2, for 6 +24, something crazy like that
Everyone wants our picks, so I expect to get way overs
Reckon 11 might be traded for F1+F2, or slid down a bit for the GWS picks, 18 also will get bids for F1+F2

24 we could slide down and pick up F2s like we did last year
Might end up with 6 players taken this year, and 3 F1s. 4/5 F2s for 2025
Club expects these picks to be picks that keep on giving like an annuity lol

Dont think there will be any bending over with this deal and Blair has already had his way with Brasy and was not a fan

But if North's target is a player like Tauru , Armstrong or Trainor it makes sense for them to get the extra pick like #18
its a win win for both teams provided Richmond actually do want to move up.

But if Richmond dont trade #6 we will have options if the player we wanted at that pick is gone
Trade #6 to GWS for #15 , #16 and #21 then on trade them to other teams that will be looking to get back into the draft with F1's. GWS have never been into quantity but always pay overs to get high picks

Still alot to play out but all really depends if Richmond want #2 and if North want to trade back

That's why it is very unlikely to happen

tiger_tough THE_GUN Any idea how many list spots you’ll have free?

Ie it’s possible you go to the draft with 1, 6, 9, 10, 13, 17. Then there are two second rounders and three thirds that need to go somewhere?
They’ll be looking to acquire some future assets for sure. The other possibility is look to consolidate some of those picks to move further up the board to guarantee they get the guys they want. Pretty good spot to be in

Dont think there will be any bending over with this deal and Blair has already had his way with Brasy and was not a fan

But if North's target is a player like Tauru , Armstrong or Trainor it makes sense for them to get the extra pick like #18
its a win win for both teams provided Richmond actually do want to move up.

But if Richmond dont trade #6 we will have options if the player we wanted at that pick is gone
Trade #6 to GWS for #15 , #16 and #21 then on trade them to other teams that will be looking to get back into the draft with F1's. GWS have never been into quantity but always pay overs to get high picks

Still alot to play out but all really depends if Richmond want #2 and if North want to trade back

Why wouldn’t we simply do the GWS deal in that instance?

North has to take unders for 2?

But in every scenario Richmond get overs for 6?

In that example combing the trades we could hypothetically trade 2 for 11/18, 15, 16, 21.

Remove this Banner Ad

Club Focus Richmond 2024

Remove this Banner Ad

Back