Richmond Leading The Race To Secure Hobart

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
How's Brayshaws form.

Remember when we put Hardwick as our front runner for the coaching job then he came out on the Footy Show proclaiming he will be Norths next coach.

Now we have been in talks for a while about games in Tassie and now Brayshaw comes out and wants his club to be a part of the action trying to squash what we have worked hard for.

Bloody North riding on Richmond's coat tails.

dude, at the end of the day if you were not a tiger head and you were the one making the decision on who to go for when it came to games in Hobart, who would you pick, knowing that you really wanted to pack the games out, knowing full well that you would get tigerheads flooding hobart from Melbourne and beyond for 4 weekends a year and knowing that the Loos would bring over 3 and a dog? So you can underrstand that whatever Brayshaw is srpuiking, whatever shit they are putting forward, it will be met with a polite "we will considered it" and then after the door is closed, put in the waste paper basket. ;)

Regardless of membership figures and on-field performances, we still are a Big 4 club in terms of actual supporter base....dormant and active...the crowds we can still pull even when we're shit and have been for so long testify to that, as does the media's obssession with keeping us down....but it's a moot point really... this is about regrouping, exapanding and coming back stronger than ever, then we will have the clout of the Collingwood's of this world...

This really is a no-brainer. Sure, we mightn't like the idea of Richmond playing interstate, but there's no danger of it leading to relocation. On the contrary, it will make us stronger and more secure than ever. Pay off the debt, increase memberships and sponsor dollars and build the club into a powerhouse on and off the field.

As for anyone complaining about 'lesser' games against the interstaters being played there, I ask you, were the recent Sydney and Freo matches 'lesser' games, or ball-tearers? We had 25,000 to the Freo game at Jihad and probably made a loss, so it makes sense to play those types of games in Hobart for a nice little earner.

Which games would we be interested in playing in Hobart?

Currently the Hawks "use" Aurora Stadium as a place to play the games they know will draw the least crowd in Melbourne. Whilst I don't ever imagine RFC playing the Pies in front of 20,000 at Bellerive using Tassie as a half way house is pretty poor IMO.

I would be happy for RFC to play the Hawks, Melbourne, Roos, Dogs, Saints etc before the usual Power, Eagles, Dockers etc that the Hawks prefer. With WS and GC both in the comp from the time any games would start to be played at Bellerive I imagine these games would also be on the agenda.

MCG home & away games against Essendon Carlton & Collingwood every year.

Rotating the other 4 games amongst Hawthorn Melbourne Geelong Saints Dogs Lions Swans & Crows over 3 years. Means we'd play 4 of these sides twice at home over that period. These teams would also provide the make up 'home' games, except for Geelong games at Skilled.

Hobart games against Freo WC Port Gold Coast & GWS rotated over 3 years.

Thats how I'd like to see the Hobart deal set up.

MCG home & away games against Essendon Carlton & Collingwood every year.

Rotating the other 4 games amongst Hawthorn Melbourne Geelong Saints Dogs Lions Swans & Crows over 3 years. Means we'd play 4 of these sides twice at home over that period. These teams would also provide the make up 'home' games, except for Geelong games at Skilled.

Hobart games against Freo WC Port Gold Coast & GWS rotated over 3 years.

Thats how I'd like to see the Hobart deal set up.

How wonderful :thumbsdown:

Crowd figures this year indicate the Hawks noevelty is starting to wear off. A few Hawks converts at work don't even bother going north anymore to see the Lions, Freo etc play. Why would it be any different in Hobart with RFC? Is this the supporter base you wan't to build?

If we really want to build a home away from the 'G' then Hobart is the perfect fit, but don't patronise the fans with the lowest supported clubs and expect them to fork out bucks for memberships etc. StKilda allready burnt there bridges down in Tassie with a lack of respect when a deal was on the table and they took the dollar offer to go back to melbourne. Whilst it might be working now but with the small supporter base they have they will be rattling tins by the end of the next decade. I don't want to see that happen to my beloved tiges.:(

If it's all about the $$$$ then sell the interstate games off to WA, SA etc

http://www.backpagelead.com.au/afl/2001-kangaroos-set-for-hobart-move

The AFL is believed to have given North Melbourne the go-ahead to play four matches in Hobart from next season, giving the league's pauper club a massive financial fillip.
The news could be announced by Kangaroos chairman James Brayshaw as early as tonight (Thursday).
The development, if confirmed, would give the AFL an eight-match presence in the Apple Isle.
It would also be a huge boon for the perenially hard-up Roos who currently lose money on many poor-drawing home games at Etihad Stadium. If the Tasmania move is given the green light by the AFL, the club could expect to make a healthy sum from each of its Hobart appearances.
While Richmond was also bidding for the chance to play two of its home games in Hobart - and Tigers chief executive Brendon Gale is Tasmanian and on the board of AFL Tasmania - it is understood the AFL favoured the Roos' bid because it gave the club the hope of some financial relief.
The AFL felt Richmond, with its large supporter base, could stand on its own two feet in Melbourne and the Hobart move would be of far greater benefit to a smaller club.
Any Hobart matches would be played at Bellerive, home of Cricket Tasmania and venue for the state's Test cricket matches. While the ground can only accommodate about 17,000 spectators, Cricket Tasmania has said there were plans to lift that capacity to about 20,000, the same as Launceston's Aurora Stadium.
Cricket Tasmania said that Bellerive would provide a low-cost stadium for modest crowds.
Hawthorn plays at Aurora Stadium in the north of the state four times a season in a lucrative deal with the Tasmanian government.

Can't say it's not too surprising. Was always going to be in the AFL's best interest to play North there because we can pull crowds in Melbourne, they can't. While I would've liked to have kept our games in Melbourne, we're in debt and could've used the money so I was for it.

Will be announced tonight north will infact play 4 home games in Hobart as early as 2011

Can't say it's not too surprising. Was always going to be in the AFL's best interest to play North there because we can pull crowds in Melbourne, they can't. While I would've liked to have kept our games in Melbourne, we're in debt and could've used the money so I was for it.
Oh well I guess we'll soon have a team called the Southern Kangaroos. Disappointing to lose out after appearing to do all the early work in getting the deal up and running. Why do I get a horrible feeling that we'll get shifted off to Etihad to help fill the breach for the Kangaroos games.

I'm with you Barnzy, would have liked the short term cash injection. The poor cousin syndrome has pissed me off a bit with North. If it was the Pies, would North have got the deal?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'm glad North got it. Instead of whingeing about our debt how about those 5-10,000 who refuse to show up to Etihad, turn up to those games instead. That will help our debt alot :cool:

I posed this on the main board but will repeat it here:

\
Why would the AFL send a two-bit half-arsed club down there? Their own supporters don't even turn up, so why expect another state to do the same? They have already whored themselves around once for a spectacular failure. Just another dumb move by Vlad and his cronies.

I posed this on the main board but will repeat it here:

\
Why would the AFL send a two-bit half-arsed club down there? Their own supporters don't even turn up, so why expect another state to do the same? They have already whored themselves around once for a spectacular failure. Just another dumb move by Vlad and his cronies.

Just look at the polls on our two respective boards.

We're in favor of the move but the North board have nearly a 4:1 ratio against the move.

phewwwwww, I NEVER thought we were considering 4 home games...**** that....our attendances would have taken a massive hit....4 x 17k Versus Minimum 4 x AVG 37k...do the math

The AFL are NO fools, this iconic club is worth far more to the health of AFL football than appeasing the Taswegians with a few lousy games a year.

Lets commit to playing our NAB cup games and signed Pics of JR8 to all Tassie members as a comprimise

I'm not sure why the AFL is saying who can and can't play games there. If Tassie wants Richmond and Richmond wants Tassie, surely the AFL is engaging in anti-competitive behaviour to deny us. If we were going to make a million or two a year from playing there and the AFL is interfering to prevent that, that's a declaration of ****ing war as far as I'm concerned, and they owe us that money.

****ing Demetriou. What a ****. ****ing North. They didn't want a bar of it because it hinted at relocation, now all of a sudden there's free money in it and Eddie-lite Brayshaw's all over it.

What a corrupt, shitful totalitarian state the AFL has become. Someone needs to remind these clowns that the clubs own the league, not the other way around.

phewwwwww, I NEVER thought we were considering 4 home games...**** that....our attendances would have taken a massive hit....4 x 17k Versus Minimum 4 x AVG 37k...do the math

The AFL are NO fools, this iconic club is worth far more to the health of AFL football than appeasing the Taswegians with a few lousy games a year.

Lets commit to playing our NAB cup games and signed Pics of JR8 to all Tassie members as a comprimise

Yeah thank ****! Thank you North Melbourne!! LOVE YOU!

I'm not sure why the AFL is saying who can and can't play games there. If Tassie wants Richmond and Richmond wants Tassie, surely the AFL is engaging in anti-competitive behaviour to deny us. If we were going to make a million or two a year from playing there and the AFL is interfering to prevent that, that's a declaration of ****ing war as far as I'm concerned, and they owe us that money.

****ing Demetriou. What a ****. ****ing North. They didn't want a bar of it because it hinted at relocation, now all of a sudden there's free money in it and Eddie-lite Brayshaw's all over it.

What a corrupt, shitful totalitarian state the AFL has become. Someone needs to remind these clowns that the clubs own the league, not the other way around.

not sure it's all that bad rad, the tas govt wont be replicating the Hawks deal, this has an whiff of afl conspiracy to potentially relocate Norf...I'm cool with that, with improved stadia deals the G will be all over us like a cheap suit to ensure we dont get any silly ideas to look elsewhere for fixtures

Totally agree, how pissed off would Brendan Gale be right now, not to mention how much time we spent to get this deal happening.

I know a few Victorian Tigers are over the moon tonight, but looking long term the AFL has just ****ed us over again and denied our club a massive opportunity to increase our brand, increase our revenue stream and impacted our goals of getting 75k members within 5 years.

If I didnt love Richmond as much as I do, I would tell the AFL they can go and get ****ed, buts thats not fair on Richmond if we all took that stance. :thumbsdown::mad:

not sure it's all that bad rad, the tas govt wont be replicating the Hawks deal, this has an whiff of afl conspiracy to potentially relocate Norf...I'm cool with that, with improved stadia deals the G will be all over us like a cheap suit to ensure we dont get any silly ideas to look elsewhere for fixtures
North will make money playing in Tassie. We would have made more. The AFL owes us big-time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back