Richmond & Melbourne fans - a win or a loss?

Remove this Banner Ad

E Shed

Fremantle Obsessive
Sep 10, 2006
Perth WA
AFL Club
Fremantle
Forgive my incomplete understanding of this but in the compromised draft I've read on our board that the results of tomorrow's games could mean the difference between pick 16 or 12 for Freo. Obviously given that fact I'll be cheering like mad for The Dees & Tigers tomorrow. How do fans of those clubs feel? Would you prefer a win to finish the year on a good note or stay where you are on the ladder?

Would rather win for sure. Don't really care about the whole finishing 9th thing this year, the jokes will come no doubt, but i can definately see the light with cotchin, martin, deledio, riewoldt, vickery etc. So we get a draft pick around pick 16 or 18 instead of 12, big deal, it shouldn't mean the difference between winning a flag and not. Win and go into the off season with 4 wins in a row and finish on a high.

We will try and win, no doubt, Hardwick has made this clear.

I am going to the match and wanting to see a Victory. While I think Winning mentality for next season is a myth, I think getting a young group to have winning cultures is vital. You can see the youngsters gain more confidence the last three weeks with the way we have played.

Richmond will win, we won't win because we're bad and not because of tanking.

Richmond are flying though and it will be good for them to finish on a high.

Winning culture and pick 16>Losing, weak, mediocre culture and pick 12

This.

I'm confident Richmond will be trying to win. If we cared that much about a pick here or there, we wouldn't have tried to win the past few weeks.

I do kind of hope Melbourne win, by a big enough margin that they beat us to 9th though.

To be honest I believe that a loss will serve the footy club better logn term. Due to the shallow draft I think the mids we could get at 12 at this stage look alot better than the prospects at 18. While I can't help myself and barrack for a win I think if we could get one more real quality mid at 12 like Hoskin-Elliot or Kavanagh then it will complete our midfield.

Although I really think Deledio deserves a win in his 150th and I am glad that we have finished well because it can only uplift the spirits of the group going into the pre season.

It's a win/win game for me because obviously always happy to win but the reward for losing isn't bad either.

its a hard one, the recruiting staff are hoping for pick 12 as the difference between that pick and one at 18 is apparently quite a bit. They say the draft runs to about a dozen quality picks and then thins out after that however they say the same thing every year and you still get amazed that player x lasts till such and such pick...

I'm hoping we win to continue finishing the season well, one thing you can't accuse the richmond football club of over the years is tanking.

I also put a multi with saints, port and tiges getting up into the favourites from yesterdays game, got nearly 19/1 so either i get the bikkies and see my team win or we lose and get a better pick...

I did the same thing in regards to a multi but stupidly went Carlton.....never had to barrack for them before but what a frustrating team to watch. Never seen so many players afraid of taking a set shot from 10m out......

Richmond will destroy North, but i dont know about Melbourne.
Ps. Has anyone seen the North fans after the St Kilda smashing? Seem to have gone missing.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Question also applies to Port fans. Do we want to win and get off the bottom, or do we want to be able to take Tyson at 4? Definitely the win, we need one badly.

9th jokes aside, I would rather a win. IMO Richmond's destiny on moving up the ladder next year sits at the upcoming trade table. So a pick a few spots higher really won't matter that much.

Richmond will destroy North, but i dont know about Melbourne.
Ps. Has anyone seen the North fans after the St Kilda smashing? Seem to have gone missing.

There are no threads about north on the main forum, and most comments are mouth-breathing ones like yours that are usually not worth responding to. ;)

I said after our first loss to the Saints we wouldn't make the finals so things have pretty much gone as expected.

Season is pretty much over now, just getting into the swing of avoiding BF as much as possible during the silly part of the season where there is more crap written than posts worth reading.

Not too fussed, this game is likely to be forgotten in a year or two. Have tipped North but will get into it if I can see my team is having a crack.

Wrote this on our thread on the matter, where we could of been anywhere from pick 10 to 18 if we won or lost. I personally think unless you're in a position where losing gets you a pick 1 over a pick 5 then I would prefer to get a winning culture.

Interesting though looking at previous drafts. After about the top 5 the 6-20 range normally is a lot less obvious in the better players at the highest picks. A look back at the 5 drafts prior to last years.

Pick 10's:
J.Melksham
P.Davis
P.Dangerfield
N.Brown
M.Drum

Pick 18's:
L.Tapscott
L.Shuey
A.Rance
L.Jetta
M.Baily

Personally, I find little difference in those two groups of players and if given the option would probably take the 18's. So certainly would prefer to get players used to winning and not accepting of losses because it helps with draft order.

Remove this Banner Ad

Richmond & Melbourne fans - a win or a loss?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back