Injury Richmond or Collingwood: Whose injury list is worse?

Remove this Banner Ad

Apr 22, 2007
Bentleigh
AFL Club
Geelong
Who has worst injury list- Richmond or Collingwood?

Collingwood

NameInjuryReturn
Aiden BeggKneeSeason
Jack BytelConcussionTest
Josh CarmichaelConcussionTBA
Mason CoxLeg/concussion6 weeks
Jordan De GoeyAbdomen3-4 weeks
Jamie ElliottVascularTBA
Josh EyreHamstring1 week
Will Hoskin-ElliottHamstring1 week
Jeremy HoweGroinTest
Reef McInnesConcussion1-2 weeks
Daniel McStayKneeTBA
Brody MihocekHamstring2-4 weeks
Tom MitchellFoot1-4 weeks
Joe RichardsFoot5-6 weeks
Oscar SteeneToe8+ weeks

Latest Update: May 29

Richmond

NameInjuryReturn
Jacob BauerQuadTest
Shai BoltonConcussion1 week
Judson ClarkeACLSeason
Mate ColinaBackLong term
Liam FawcettBackLong term
Josh GibcusACLSeason
Jack GrahamHamstringTest
Dylan GrimesBackTBA
Jacob HopperHamstring3-4 weeks
Tom LynchHamstring2-3 weeks
Rhyan MansellConcussionTest
Sam NaismithACLSeason
Maurice RioliAnkle6-8 weeks
Jack RossFoot6-8 weeks
Tim TarantoWrist1-2 weeks
Tylar YoungACLSeason

Latest Update: May 29

Last edited by a moderator:

I would say Richmond.

Both are missing 8-9 of their best 22 probably but Richmond's all seem to be longer-term.

This game simply brings injuries.

Not sure how adding more players to the bench or shortening the game will help.

Players will just run harder in short bursts - still the same number contact injuries and likely just as many soft tissue.

It’s terrible when it happens - mostly dumb luck.

Timing of them is important - many at once brings teams to a tipping point. Injuries over a longer time are more easily covered & recovered from.

This game simply brings injuries.

Not sure how adding more players to the bench or shortening the game will help.

Players will just run harder in short bursts - still the same number contact injuries and likely just as many soft tissue.

It’s terrible when it happens - mostly dumb luck.

Timing of them is important - many at once brings teams to a tipping point. Injuries over a longer time are more easily covered & recovered from.
Indeed the very nature of the game is brutal, have to do risky stuff to succeed, none of us would bother watching if there were no injuries

On SM-A225F using BigFooty.com mobile app

(Log in to remove this ad.)

One of our issues is lack of depth, so the injuries have hit us hard.

Also, Tom Lynch is probably tied to his clubs fortunes more than any other player in the comp. I'm not saying he's the best or most valuable in the comp at all, but I would argue he would be in the top few, if not the most important single player to his clubs fortunes and importance on an AFL teams list.

Even if we had only him freed up from the injury list at his best, we'd be a lot more competitive.

Also, Tom Lynch is probably tied to his clubs fortunes more than any other player in the comp. I'm not saying he's the best or most valuable in the comp at all, but I would argue he would be in the top few, if not the most important single player to his clubs fortunes and importance on an AFL teams list.

Even if we had only him freed up from the injury list at his best, we'd be a lot more competitive.
Agreed, and N Daicos is just as important as Lynch, our injury list would look 100 times worse if he was on it

I'd argue Him, Taranto and IMO Gibcus are the 3. Balta would play permanent forward if Gibcus was available. Which is where you look the most dangerous even though he's a great Backman.

What sort of hogwash is that list?

Richmond so far this season games missed by best 22 players:

9 Gibcus 9
8 Lynch Hopper 25
7 Graham 32
6 Taranto, Ross, Prestia, Grimes 56
4 Balta 60
3 Baker 63
2 Martin, Mansell, M Rioli 69
1 Young, Nankervis, Short, Broad 73

So 73 games have been missed by best 22 players. This is to say nothing of fringe types who would likely have been selected in more matches bar injury or suspension:

Sonsie, Campbell, Banks, Naismith, Clarke, Trezise.

Your best player is your best player regardless of position, we'd be screwed without Daics atm, not sure you read my comment properly

I read your comment right, but Naicos and Lynch are nowhere near equivalent in terms of overall team structure.

If Naicos sits out a year and a half (which is basically what has happened to Lynch), you still have a bunch of other mids that can cover his role (Pendlebury, Sidebottom, Jaicos, Crisp, De Goey, Mitchell). It's not ideal, but you'll be fine unless a bunch of the others go down (which is what happened to Richmond this year with Taranto, Hopper, Prestia, Ross all missing considerable time).

No-one covers Lynch's role. In his last mostly completed season in 2022, he had the highest average goals per game of any player, miles ahead in contested marks of any player. So not only does he provide a contest down the line and marks plenty, he also does the same thing in the forward line and kicks goals. It's been even worse this year when Balta got injured and our forward line is led by Lefau who hasn't played a dozen games yet.

I read your comment right, but Naicos and Lynch are nowhere near equivalent in terms of overall team structure.

If Naicos sits out a year and a half (which is basically what has happened to Lynch), you still have a bunch of other mids that can cover his role (Pendlebury, Sidebottom, Jaicos, Crisp, De Goey, Mitchell). It's not ideal, but you'll be fine unless a bunch of the others go down (which is what happened to Richmond this year with Taranto, Hopper, Prestia, Ross all missing considerable time).

No-one covers Lynch's role. In his last mostly completed season in 2022, he had the highest average goals per game of any player, miles ahead in contested marks of any player. So not only does he provide a contest down the line and marks plenty, he also does the same thing in the forward line and kicks goals. It's been even worse this year when Balta got injured and our forward line is led by Lefau who hasn't played a dozen games yet.

Daics doesn't have a "role", he's Daics and he's the reason why we're good, we'd be bottom 4 without him, like you are without Lynch

Remove this Banner Ad

Back