richmond quick fix e.g carlton of the 90s

Remove this Banner Ad

blueboyyoung

Debutant
Oct 19, 2003
it seems like richmond are going the quick fix they get nathan brown he will play for 5 years you could of got a good 10 year player then they get simon fletcher.
i just think there going the quick fix it want work im putting my money on them for the wooden spoon
thoughts

I don't think you've delved too deeply in those thoughts, blueboy.

Gilmore, Roach, Jackson, Morrison, Hartigan, Tuck, Raines AND Archibald were also drafted by the Tigers, and with the exception of Morrison and Tuck, they're all pretty much raw 17 year-olds.

In fact, our first pick - Alex Gilmore - was eligible for the draft BY ONE DAY.

For the first time in quite a few years, it appears the Tigers have AVOIDED the "quick-fix".

Originally posted by Borgsta
yeah but the majority of these picks were after teams had stopped picking up players. Realistically how many of them can you expect to be good?

Richmond have no control over what other clubs decide to do with their picks.

And anyway, my rationale still stands, especially given that the Tigers first three picks were all 17 year-olds ... when every club was still in the game.

Originally posted by blueboyyoung
it seems like richmond are going the quick fix they get nathan brown he will play for 5 years you could of got a good 10 year player then they get simon fletcher.
i just think there going the quick fix it want work im putting my money on them for the wooden spoon
thoughts
Carlton used their first 3 picks after their priority pick on recycled players, taking the total number of players they have obtained from other clubs to around 10. Seems a bit rich to then criticise Richmond for picking up two or three from other clubs.

Originally posted by GhostofJimJess
Richmond have no control over what other clubs decide to do with their picks.

And anyway, my rationale still stands, especially given that the Tigers first three picks were all 17 year-olds ... when every club was still in the game.

They also took 6 players after round 5.

The first pick was at 21, next 37 F/S and then 52 in the 4th round when only 10 (not 16) clubs partipated. I would be very surprised if more than 3 players become useful for Richmond.

Although Crumden is right, Carlton really cant talk about quick fixes.

No point argueing! we all know carlton are and will always be better than the tiges!:D We picked up players at an average of 22 eyars old! thats not quick fix and they still have hope! Where as you guys nad the great Wayne Brittain take the dud Fletcher and last year FLeming. They have no hope! So any way good luck to the Tiges and just as an added note, Browny said he wanted to go to a club that will win a premiership while he is playing! Why would he choose the Tiges???????

What a crock....

Richmond drafted very young, I think we assessed the position we were in and with the later picks we had, drafted players that still had another go in the U18's competition next year, who if left in that competition would be more talked about next year.

Overall Im happy, with only Morrison and Fletcher the disgarded players picked up by the club, and Morrison left Brisbane for more opportunities.

Alex Gilmour
Thomas Roach
Daniel Jackson
Brent Hartigan
Andrew Raines
Kyle Archibald

These players are all 17/18 years of age, hardly picking up rejects!!

Shane Morrison
Shane Tuck
Simon Fletcher

These are the mature age recruits, with Tuck being 21, Morrison 23 and Fletcher 25....

Next time research what your critisising, before looking stupid blueboytooyounggobacktobed.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

They also took 6 players after round 5.

The first pick was at 21, next 37 F/S and then 52 in the 4th round when only 10 (not 16) clubs partipated.

Fair enough, but only one pick had actually been passed on up until that stage, and that was by Melbourne the very previous pick (51). If you want to split hairs on this, I'll call you on saying the Tigers "took 6 players after round 5", when it was actually after Round 4 ?

I would be very surprised if more than 3 players become useful for Richmond.

So now you're saying that what Richmond has done will not be a "quick fix" ?! I'm confused.

Anyway, I would be very surprised if more than 3 players become useful to any club out of one single draft.

David Clarke (Geelong),
Daniel Harford (Hawthorn),
Brett Johnson (Hawthorn),
Jon McCormick (rookie),
Cory McGrath (Essendon),
Digby Morrell (Kangaroos),
Heath Scotland (Collingwood),
David Teague (Kangaroos)
Andrew Walker (Bendigo Pioneers)
Ricky Mott (Fremantle rookie)
Glen Bowyer (Hawthorn)
Jordon Bannister (Essendon)
Adrian DeLuca (Port Melbourne)
Stephen Kenna (Box Hill Hawks)
Nick Stevens(Collingwood...urr Port)

Yeah Blueboyyoung, your club really cleaned up the under 18 talent pool didn't they ? No quick fixes there. A real investment in Carltons future this mob.

The wooden spoon will be Navy Blue. Be proud.

:D

Bear in mind Rodan, that we have had no low draft picks for two years apart fro mthe Priority Pick we used to pick up Andrew Walker. We could not trade into the first two rounds either so what other methods do you propose we use to changeover our poop list ????

It's not the way I'd like to see the club go but given the penalties we had to get through, I think the club has done pretty well to improve the list overall and reduce the average age dramatically.

Fair go Rodan#18 Apart from Harford who is only 26yr the rest of the players are relatively young. It would be fair to say that most of that list haven’t be given a real go at their previous clubs. For most of the players this will be their final chance at AFL and with a bit of luck 50% of them will still be there in 3-5 years. I think Melbourne is a monty for the spoon.

yeah but the majority of these picks were after teams had stopped picking up players. Realistically how many of them can you expect to be good?

Ever hear of a player by the name of James Hird who was picked up in the draft one year arrounf the number 70? And the list is endless. Just because you go in the top 20 doesn't auutomaticcally mean the rest are duds, unlike yourself.

Originally posted by bogan_blue
The reason why Carlton picked up Mott, Bowyer, Bannisster etc was we had no early draft picks anyway to draft quality young players in a fairly weak draft anyway besides Andrew Walker is going to be a star.

Bogan, you are the biggest knob posting on Bigfooty. How many times do you contradict yourself.
Get off or shut up.

Originally posted by Captain Blood
Ever hear of a player by the name of James Hird who was picked up in the draft one year arrounf the number 70? And the list is endless. Just because you go in the top 20 doesn't auutomaticcally mean the rest are duds, unlike yourself.

Your spot on, but teams which have an established core of senior players can take that risk and pick a couple of kids late. Carlton is still building its core list and can't afford to speculate with to many young kids at the moment. I would have loved for the blues to pick a couple of extra young 17-18 year old, but it was never going to happen.

Melbourne for the spoon

Richmond and Carlton would be lucky to finish in the top 8. Richmond, for all their aggressive recruiting, only really gained Brown. Carlton gained a whole heap of decent players and they may be a match for a few teams, but i'd be suprised if they finished above 12th. Mind you, Carlton needed a major list improvement and that's what they got. They had plently of dud players who have now been flushed out, and while you could argue that they have brought in a lot of duds to replace them, its an improvement. What more can you do in an off season than improve your list? Richmond, however, gave up on a great player at pick 6, just for someone who is going to give them 5 more years and will never spearhead them towards a premiership.

In a few years, clubs like St Kilda, Geelong, Fremantle, and the doggies, who invested in youth for long-term gain, will be walking over Carlton and Richmond. Carlton did the best thing, Frawley wanted to save his arse.

Originally posted by bogan_blue
Right now I would have Carlton's list over Richmond's.
Rodan's an overrated hack (too fat, too slow) Gassy's got a crook knee, Richo's a whiny b!tch and most of their young players (Nicholls, Newman, etc) are unco.

And picking up Simon Fletcher ...
pfft.

You carlton supporters are truely insane. You call David Rodan too slow? Is your brain in slow motion when you watch footy? You call him fat? I'd say whitnall is definately on the side of the titanic with his yearly visits to the fat farm. Rodan is one of the most electrifying youngsters in the AFL when he goes on one of his runs. Whitnall on the other hand is spent just flying up for a mark. Sorry did I say flying for a mark? I forgot elephants don't fly.

Admittedly Billy Nichols and Simon Fletcher won't be my two favourite players on the list but every team (apart from Brisbane) has players which could be put in the "ordinary" basket. We could put the whole carlton team in the "average" basket aside from Nick Stevens. I can see a replica collingwood team here from a few years ago when Buckley stood out amongst a team of duds. Make some room in your cutley draw mate. A few more spoons on the way for you!!.

Remove this Banner Ad

richmond quick fix e.g carlton of the 90s

Remove this Banner Ad

Back