richmond quick fix e.g carlton of the 90s

Remove this Banner Ad

Originally posted by bogan_blue
He is soft and inconsistent, not worth a first round draft pick.
We'll take our luck with Nick Stevens in the PSD thanks, cost us nothing and we got a young gun in Walker.

Are you still here? Thought you would be on the streets celebrating.

Soft??????? The last time Nick Stevens got his kness dirty was after his Under 10 pie night when EVERY kid jumps in the mud for fun.

Nathan Brown is Glenn Archer compared to Nick Stevens

Now think about this, Every thread that evr concerns richmond points out that we only have so many talented players. which is fair enuf we don't exactly have stars oozing from everywhere but if u consider the players who everyone always points out they actually cover most divisions, but we definately need to acquire more talent in both the midfield (which was 2 years ago considered our weakest point) and our forward line, which is exactly what brown is available to do. he can attempt to cover both problems while we attempt one last crack with established players, once this lot move through then i am sure we will rebuild but why would we do it too early and waist a possible crack at glory. Trust me in no way am i saying we are premiership favourites but as we consistenly prove in bursts, we can play excellent football. hopefully this year is will be consistent. My only problem with trading pick 6 is that we missed out on Tenace, i thought he would have gone by then, and he was what we needed more than any other player in the draft.

Originally posted by Penetrator
Tiger supporters are you going to buy memberships this year and get back on the BANDWAGON or go missing like last year ????
We finished 16th last year but at least we had 34000 members.

How many finals have you been in the last 20 years ??? hahahahaha

yawn - this is type of response is so boring - but then again you are new here.

Originally posted by mightybaggers
Don't know who your sources are mate, but Brown actually approached Carlton and we didn't see him as a priority, or did we ever make an attempt to make him a navy blue.

Now tell me why Nathan Brown would wanna go from a team that only won 3 games to a club that is full of rejects? I think your sources are bit dodgey son. He stated from day one that Richmond was his choice. You recruited Harford cause Brown wasnt a priority!!!

Originally posted by itsintheblood
Now tell me why Nathan Brown would wanna go from a team that only won 3 games to a club that is full of rejects? I think your sources are bit dodgey son. He stated from day one that Richmond was his choice. You recruited Harford cause Brown wasnt a priority!!!

Harford was traded as part of a package. Pagan was after Brett Johnson. Harford came as an extra with the Hawks paying half his wage.

Brown was never a true priority. We were after Harvey, Power and Stevens. We got Stevens.

Richmond have a great club song.

Nonsence, Brown was as much a priority for Carlton as Harvey, Stevens et al..

Brown told the blues thanks but no thanks after he realised that the blues had nothing to offer in a trade with the bullies.

Same for Harvey, Power and Stevens. The only reason the Blues got Stevens was the Pies wouldn't offer up anything decent in trade.

However, well done Blues for getting Stevens for nothing..

Nonsence, Brown was as much a priority for Carlton as Harvey, Stevens et al..

why don't you just observe what was said by orangewhip regarding Brown, power, harvey, stevo........ as that is exactly spot on from what orangewhip said and will save a pointless argument.

What??

Orange Whip wrote that Brown was never a true priority for the blues, and that they were into Stevens, Harvey.....

My point was that Brown was a big priority for the blues but they couldn't get him.

You even wrote that Brown approached Carlton.....what crap..

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Mighty, I am reading but not understanding what you are saying.

If you can provide me with a better explanation so I can get my fried tiger mind around your point I will reload and respond.

As it is Xmas, I am in a cheery mood and want to have a frutifull discussion with my fellow man
Cheers
Tivva:D

haha............ ok

what i was saying was that Orangewhip is spot on regarding Carlton's priorities leading upto trade week. Stevens, Harvey, Power were all huge priorities, but Nathan Brown was not considered amongst that elite group. Yes that is what Orangewhip said and i told you too take note of his post into fact because that was the true scenario. Brown would of been great for the blues, but we showed little interest and if he was too become a blue it would only be via the Pre-season draft where Stevens was available.........

The reason why Brown wasn't chased by Carlton is because Pagan didn't think he was committed enough, and he wouldn't address our needs where Stevens would.

Originally posted by mightybaggers
haha............ ok

what i was saying was that Orangewhip is spot on regarding Carlton's priorities leading upto trade week. Stevens, Harvey, Power were all huge priorities, but Nathan Brown was not considered amongst that elite group. Yes that is what Orangewhip said and i told you too take note of his post into fact because that was the true scenario. Brown would of been great for the blues, but we showed little interest and if he was too become a blue it would only be via the Pre-season draft where Stevens was available.........

The reason why Brown wasn't chased by Carlton is because Pagan didn't think he was committed enough, and he wouldn't address our needs where Stevens would.

Also Brown is more of a "Larrikan" sort of person while Nick Stevens takes a more "professional" approach to things like dealing with the media and stuff like that (this is my impression at least)

All things considered equal I know which type of player Denis "Rules with an Iron First" Pagan would want

Fair enuff Mighty....

My understanding of things was that the blues had discussions with Brown early on but were out of the race as Brown didn't want to go into the PSD, where as you pointed out was the only chance of getting Brown.

As to the value of Brown v Stevens, will get back to you in Ocotober 2004.

Merry Xmas
Tivva

When evaluating players like Brown v Stevens, I would only base it on their onfield exploits.

To take into account what the club gave up for him etc.... IMO becomes a pointless argument as it unfairly judges a player on areas which are out of their control.

Steven's and Brown's value will come through helping their teams win games of footy. Come Rd 1 noone will give a s**t what a particular player cost and what was possibly given up for him.

it seems like richmond are going the quick fix

Greg Miller initially said that he wanted a ballanced list. We have a balance of Young Draftees, Middle age and veterens now and along with that a mix of talls and smalls. If we didnt pick up Morrison and fletcher etc we wouldnt have a ballanced list and they would have no afl experience. We wouldnt want kids coming to play whenever we have an injury. Although it is tempting that we could have 7 guns out on the feild in a few years but greg miller has brought balance to the Richmond List. Nathan Brown is the most valueble out of Rawlings and Stephens as he can play Back Flank,Midfield or Forward Quite well. Rawlings is overrated

Interesting to look back on each club early draft pick histories.
Had a look yesterday and started on this but add to more in a day or two.

Start of drafting in expansion era

4 Richard Anderson Richmond Norwood 1986

17 Trent Nichols Richmond Sandy Bay 1986

1 Richard Lounder Richmond Central District 1987

14 Wayne Peters Richmond Morwell 1987

5 Chris Naish Richmond Wangaratta 1988

19 Matthew Francis Richmond Ballan 1988

1 Anthony Banik Richmond Won Wron Woodside 1989

13 Allister Scott Richmond Inverloch-Kongwak 1989

15 Nathan Bower Richmond Mildura 1989

4 of 1990 traded away to Collingwood for Terry Keays

16 Todd Menegola Richmond Swan Districts 1990

Transitional period of under 19's and old zones going

3 of 1991 traded away to Melbourne as part of a deal that saw Steven O'Dwyer goto Richmond and Michael Pickering goto Melbourne.

16 & 29 of 1991 traded away to West Coast for Steven Jackson

7 Wayne Hernaman Richmond South Fremantle 1992

22 Mark Jones Richmond Norwood 1992

3 Justin Murphy Richmond Central U18 1993

6 of 1993 traded away to Fitzroy for Paul Broderick, Michael Gale and Matthew Dundas

11 Damien Ryan Richmond Eastern U18 1994

16 & 32 of 1995 traded away to Fitzroy for Ben Holland

16 clubs and full on draft era with rookie lists in place now

16 Paddy Steinfort Richmond Oakleigh U18 1996

2 Brad Ottens Richmond Glenelg 1997

21 of 1997 and Chris Bond traded away to Fremantle for pick 2

8 of 1998 traded away to Geelong for Craig Biddiscombe

24 of 1998 traded away to Brisbane for Rory Hilton

3 Aaron Fiora Richmond Port Adelaide (SANFL) 1999

7 of 1999 traded away with Steve McKee to Collingwood for pick 3 and Clinton King

22 Ezra Poyas Richmond Prahran U18 1999

9 Kayne Pettifer Richmond Murray U18 2000

25 Mark Coughlan Richmond Perth 2000

17 of 2001 traded away with Nick Daffy to Sydney for Greg Stafford

12 Jay Schulz Richmond Woodville-West Torrens 2002

18 & 32 of 2002 traded away with Jason Torney to Adelaide for pick 12, Kane Johnson, pick 28 & 41

6 & 20 of 2003 traded away to Western Bulldogs for Nathan Brown

21 Alex Gilmour Richmond Tasmania U18 2003

The draft picks bonanza from rock bottom

1 Brett Deledio Richmond Murray U18 2004

4 Richard Tambling Richmond Southern Districts 2004

12 Danny Meyer Richmond Glenelg 2004

16 Adam Pattison Richmond Northern U18 2004

20 Dean Polo Richmond Gippsland U18 2004

8 Jarrad Oakley-Nicholls Richmond East Perth 2005

24 Cleve Hughes Richmond Norwood 2005

8 of 2006 traded away to Fremantle as part of deal that secured Graham Polack and pick 13

13 Jack Riewoldt Richmond Tasmania U18 2006

Re-load after another wooden spoon to make finals

2 Trent Cotchin Richmond Northern U18 2007

18 Alex Rance Richmond Swan Districts 2007

19 of 2007 traded away to Bulldogs for Jordan McMahon

8 Ty Vickery Richmond Sandringham U18 2008

3 Dustin Martin Richmond Bendigo U18 2009

19 Ben Griffiths Richmond Eastern U18 2009

6 Reece Conca Richmond Perth 2010

The current Hardwick era next hope

15 Brandon Ellis Richmond Calder U18 2011

9 Nick Vlastuin Richmond Northern U18 2012

12 Ben Lennon Richmond Northern U18 2013

12 Corey Ellis Richmond Western U18 2014

15 Daniel Rioli Richmond North Ballarat U18 2015

23 of 2015 traded onto Carlton for Chris Yarran

Last edited:
Interesting to look back on each club early draft pick histories.
Had a look yesterday and started on this but add to more in a day or two.

Start of drafting in expansion era

4 Richard Anderson Richmond Norwood 1986

17 Trent Nichols Richmond Sandy Bay 1986

1 Richard Lounder Richmond Central District 1987

14 Wayne Peters Richmond Morwell 1987

5 Chris Naish Richmond Wangaratta 1988

19 Matthew Francis Richmond Ballan 1988

1 Anthony Banik Richmond Won Wron Woodside 1989

13 Allister Scott Richmond Inverloch-Kongwak 1989

15 Nathan Bower Richmond Mildura 1989

4 of 1990 traded away to Collingwood for Terry Keays

16 Todd Menegola Richmond Swan Districts 1990

Transitional period of under 19's and old zones going

3 of 1991 traded away to Melbourne as part of a deal that saw Steven O'Dwyer goto Richmond and Michael Pickering goto Melbourne.

16 & 29 of 1991 traded away to West Coast for Steven Jackson

7 Wayne Hernaman Richmond South Fremantle 1992

22 Mark Jones Richmond Norwood 1992

3 Justin Murphy Richmond Central U18 1993

6 of 1993 traded away to Fitzroy for Paul Broderick, Michael Gale and Matthew Dundas

11 Damien Ryan Richmond Eastern U18 1994

16 & 32 of 1995 traded away to Fitzroy for Ben Holland

16 clubs and full on draft era with rookie lists in place now

16 Paddy Steinfort Richmond Oakleigh U18 1996

2 Brad Ottens Richmond Glenelg 1997

21 of 1997 and Chris Bond traded away to Fremantle for pick 2

8 of 1998 traded away to Geelong for Craig Biddiscombe

24 of 1998 traded away to Brisbane for Rory Hilton

3 Aaron Fiora Richmond Port Adelaide (SANFL) 1999

7 of 1999 traded away with Steve McKee to Collingwood for pick 3 and Clinton King

22 Ezra Poyas Richmond Prahran U18 1999

9 Kayne Pettifer Richmond Murray U18 2000

25 Mark Coughlan Richmond Perth 2000

17 of 2001 traded away with Nick Daffy to Sydney for Greg Stafford

12 Jay Schulz Richmond Woodville-West Torrens 2002

18 & 32 of 2002 traded away with Jason Torney to Adelaide for pick 12, Kane Johnson, pick 28 & 41

6 & 20 of 2003 traded away to Western Bulldogs for Nathan Brown

21 Alex Gilmour Richmond Tasmania U18 2003

The draft picks bonanza from rock bottom

1 Brett Deledio Richmond Murray U18 2004

4 Richard Tambling Richmond Southern Districts 2004

12 Danny Meyer Richmond Glenelg 2004

16 Adam Pattison Richmond Northern U18 2004

20 Dean Polo Richmond Gippsland U18 2004

8 Jarrad Oakley-Nicholls Richmond East Perth 2005

24 Cleve Hughes Richmond Norwood 2005

8 of 2006 traded away to Fremantle as part of deal that secured Graham Polack and pick 13

13 Jack Riewoldt Richmond Tasmania U18 2006

Re-load after another wooden spoon to make finals

2 Trent Cotchin Richmond Northern U18 2007

18 Alex Rance Richmond Swan Districts 2007

19 of 2007 traded away to Bulldogs for Jordan McMahon

8 Ty Vickery Richmond Sandringham U18 2008

3 Dustin Martin Richmond Bendigo U18 2009

19 Ben Griffiths Richmond Eastern U18 2009

6 Reece Conca Richmond Perth 2010

The current Hardwick era next hope

15 Brandon Ellis Richmond Calder U18 2011

9 Nick Vlastuin Richmond Northern U18 2012

12 Ben Lennon Richmond Northern U18 2013

12 Corey Ellis Richmond Western U18 2014

15 Daniel Rioli Richmond North Ballarat U18 2015

23 of 2015 traded onto Carlton for Chris Yarran

It reads like a Dean Koontz novella.

It's kind of a horror story, but it's also so badly written you simply can't look away ....

Weep for the tiger faithful and the recruiters who condemned them to the 9th circle footy abyss for all eternity...

Remove this Banner Ad

richmond quick fix e.g carlton of the 90s

Remove this Banner Ad

Back