Preview Richmond Tigers vs. Greater Western Sydney Giants - 4:45pm @ The MCG

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think we'll win, but my reasoning is a bit different.
  • Problem - GWS best footy is better than Richmond's best footy. In fact, GWS best football is the best in the competition.
  • Solution - don't let them play their best football. Turn it into a heavily contested game played in our half of the ground.
  • Risk - if we keep it a contested game, then it's low risk. We did it against Geelong and we did it for 3 quarters at the MCG against GWS during the season. If we let them get the ball on the outside, we're going to have to win a shootout because they will score 12+ goals.
  • Opportunity - smash them early, get the crowd into the game, force lots of mistakes and win the territory battle. We can go on a 5 goal run and win this game in the first quarter, but we probably can't lose it because they will tighten up if they get a lead.
Fingers crossed. No injuries, no reports and another huge effort when we don't have the footy. I think we might see a bit of Rioli magic on Saturday night :)

Cheers.

Dave P.

Hope you're right.

Prior to last week GWS have been out of form. It could be argued that West Coast were nothing to measure how well GWS went.

GWS played really well against Melbourne half way through the year, other than that their form has been inconsistent all year so it's hard to believe they will suddenly be on fire for 4 quarters.

Our defence don't leak goals. If GWS kick 12 goals I'd be very surprised. Cats kicked 5 against us 2 weeks ago.

It's probably another game like so many this year that 80 points is a winning score for us.

Agree a good start is crucial.

Hope you're right.

Prior to last week GWS have been out of form. It could be argued that West Coast were nothing to measure how well GWS went.

GWS played really well against Melbourne half way through the year, other than that their form has been inconsistent all year so it's hard to believe they will suddenly be on fire for 4 quarters.

Our defence don't leak goals. If GWS kick 12 goals I'd be very surprised. Cats kicked 5 against us 2 weeks ago.

It's probably another game like so many this year that 80 points is a winning score for us.

Agree a good start is crucial.

Im pretty confident that if GWS arent 4 goals up at quarter time well grind out a win

if we give them the head start they may be able to hold on

I attended the open training session today. I drove down from Sydney on Wednesday and just wanted to soak it up. The atmosphere around Richmond is infectious and unbelievable. Even hopping on the train, you're bombarded with fellow Richmond supporters and well wishers. Had chats with Towner, Lambert and Graham. They're all brimming with excitement, you can tell Townsend in particular is really relishing it, from being on the scrap heap a month ago to the chance to play in a GF. Deadset nothing compares to this, I've lived in Sydney for a while now and no team, whether NRL or AFL aligned has this sort of excitement of buzz around it. I can't wait for tomorrow, I plan to get into Swan St early on and just soak it in even further.

The more I think about this game, the more I think that Johnson is going to be a late out. His 2 returns against Richmond this year:

11 disposals, 0 goal assists, 0G 0B
9 disposals, 1 goal assist, 0G 0B

Club should be planning for Smith, not Johnson.

Only way he goes out is fitness. Not form.
He kicked 6 last game and was BOG. He will no get dropped on form. If Cameron drops him and Smith has a stinker people will talk about it for a century. Leon Cameron, the man who dropped Stevie J after he had a 6 goal game and cost the Giants. Fitness or he is in mate.
All the football world knows that SJ kicked his 6 under questionable pressure, but in this game it is better the devil you know, hence no changes.
It is akin to us dropping Towno after the freo game. Way too bold at this time of year.
I for one hope he stays in! Think he gets a bath from Grimes!

I can't take a four-hour lunch break - so I might just name one of the few people who doesn't fit that mental image - Hoos - whom I always imagine brunching in tasseled loafers
Even on a 40° day.

I for one hope he stays in! Think he gets a bath from Grimes!
I actually think Broad will take him. Grimes will shut down Greene.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

On the bus from the airport then train from spencer st to Richmond. Quick stop to drop off bags at hotel and then back to punt road to spend some $$$ and get my tickets, pumped!!!!
Transport whore checking in

That's because it is complete and utter garbage. The only way it can be - possibly - saved, is by a total overhaul. Trim it down to 90 minutes, remove all current players, remove Rebecca whoever she is, tell Sam he can stay on but only if he talks about the game, and have a panel of former players/coaches, etc...to just discuss the previous weeks games, and then preview the upcoming round.

That I would watch.
Lost me at Sam Newman, he is the most self absorbed person in the media.
His use by date expired in the 90s

Lost me at Sam Newman, he is the most self absorbed person in the media.
His use by date expired in the 90s
Oh, he's not a deal breaker. I'd happily see him disappear off the screen forever. He was once a very good comments man on the radio. That was before he turned into the embarrassment he is now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back