Richmond's PSD & Rookie Draft Selections

Remove this Banner Ad

Disapointed with Addam Maric. Thought he looked pretty ordinary at Melbourne.
Was only a rookie selection so a decent risk to take. Was a gun junior, end of 1st round priority pick, amazing conversion rate in front of goals. Tiger supporter too so hopefully the change of environment will do him good as he has the chance to play for the team he loved. There are a few highly rated juniors at Melbourne who haven't come on that well so lets hope we can light a fire under his ass and get a good player out of it.

Congrads Richmond on your rookie draft selections. you guys done well. thought i would add something here. Steve Verrier comes from my area saw him play way back in oz kick days. Has been impressive all the way thru his Junior career. He is a great pic up for you guys and should do well with your club.

Looks like the plan of decent sized guys with good footy brains and kicking is still being adhered to. Well done. All sound like good picks for the PSD/rookie draft.
2 hits out of that and we win big time.

Whenever we have meetings after events like trade week or draft, a footy person always gets up and gives a brief wrap of what happened. Francis spoke today seemed pretty happy with how things went, and each kid has their own story.

It's really interesting hearing about them. We went a bit multi-cultural today so Verrier has already been nicknamed The Frenchman.

I get the feeling these boys might not get the same luxury as what has previously been given to our rookies with the "Super Draft" happening next year. I think all these guys would want to have a spot cemented in the Coburg Seniors come the end of year if they want to be on the list in 2013.

I like the look of them though. A good mixed bag. The two taller boys are probably a bit undersized, but that guy we took with our last pick looks pretty comfortable against taller opponents

(Log in to remove this ad.)

As I count it, we've drafted:

Ellis - HB/Mid
Elton - KPP
Arnot - Mid/HB

Rookie/PSD
2 forwards and 4 defenders.
We brought in Maric and Morris, a HBF.

1 genuine mid, 3 forwards, 1 ruck and 6 predominantly defenders.

I thought we needed to take more mids, interesting mix of players we've chosen, we'l see how it pans out.

I think the club intended to clean out the rookies that werent going to make it this year and re do it and then next year hope to clean out the remainding dead wood on the main list. Then after next year's draft i believe the club will hope to be fighting for a top 4 spot and a premiership and if not that will lead to the sacking of hardwick which i dont think will happen as we should be firmly in the 8 and fighting for a top 4 spot by then.

Im very happy about how the rookie draft panded out this year in contrast to last year where i think hardwick had a bit more say and had the belief of having mature aged players on the rookie list. But this time round we have gone for youth and gone for youth that is well known compared to players in the past like contin and jakobi. Im happy with all the players we got though im not sure on the pace of both dourou and wright but like everything else in their games. I like how we got 2 crumbers and a half foward flanker which if they do work out that would finish our foward line thats also if elton and griffiths come on too. That would be one lethal forward line. I also like the addition of the 2 defenders though i would like to know what positon they will be able to play in afl as both are that 190cm mark and are well built so hopefully they can both develop into the josh gibson mold because beside their height and maybe lack of pace they have everything else you need to make a solid footballer. The marric one im not overly happy about but i do believe he can make it as a footballer he just needs to be stuck with for a long enough period of time where he feels not a lot of pressure about getting dropped if he doesnt perform.If he could string a few games togeather and hopefully becomes a consistent footabller a he has the skills you need to play afl only lacks height and consistnecy. Is verrier a midfielder or backmen? He looks good a hopefully he can make it.

I probably need to keep a lid on it as these kids didnt go in the rookie draft for no reason but i cant help and feel that they are all going to be guns and add a lot of depth to our team.

PS hopefully Ohanlan can continue the trend set by houli and grimes in picking up a gun out of the PSD.

the interesting thing now will be to see who if any gets the senior list elevation b4 rd1?
no twigs! very happy about that!

Yep, we are one short as we passed
I would have thought that we'd nominate some training squad rookies like we did last year, but we didn't so we will keep that spot free until next year
Given pretty much every club passed and left a spot open and none took training squad rookies, it must have been for a reason

Remove this Banner Ad

Richmond's PSD & Rookie Draft Selections

Remove this Banner Ad

Back