Player Watch Riley Thilthorpe - Signed to End of 2028

Remove this Banner Ad

That game plan still fails though. Teams simply don’t take that many contested marks to make a game plan reliant on them successful. Since 2021 we’ve played that way and it never worked. And as far back as 2021 we played fast and overlapping at times and looked good. The only problem was sustaining it for long enough. And instead of being brave and wearing the bad as we developed, we retreated to the attacking plan that is designed yo make defending easier.

Yes, I've always wondered why our side seems to think "just keep kicking it to contests and then win all the contests" is a strategy that can possibly win.

Other sides seem to make an effort to generate loose players. We just assume we'll take contested marks all the way down the ground.

Yes, I've always wondered why our side seems to think "just keep kicking it to contests and then win all the contests" is a strategy that can possibly win.

Other sides seem to make an effort to generate loose players. We just assume we'll take contested marks all the way down the ground.
Your 2nd last sentence is what made us a good side last year

If he still has his mobility with that extra weight (and assuming strength), then he is going to be a very hard guy to match up on IF he really looks to impose himself in marking contests and then also being able to push up the ground
Assuming he’s learned to use his size, which he hasn’t to date.

Actually suspect he was somewhat important to the game plan they were intending. A lot of their long kicks to contests up the wing work a lot better with a beast contested marker in the line up.

Hate being that guy, but I said a lot last year that Thilthorpe was playing really well, and that his ability to take a contested mark between the arcs and quickly roll and find a target (particularly a 20m kick inside) was hugely valuable.

More and more it looks like we’ve held him and us back by focussing on Tex inside 50 too much.

112kg our big Filthy
Are we allowed to guess this?

Given he was 100 plus at 17/18 years of age, he was always going to top out over 110kg.

Could nudge 115kg at full maturity. And should keep the agility.

Be like Max Gawn type build

On SM-A325F using BigFooty.com mobile app

Last edited:
When Fraser Gehrig was at west coast everyone thought his size and athletic abilities would make him a great tall wingman. He never quite hit the hype there.

Then he went to St Kilda and they put him in the weights room and said put on a heap of weight, especially upper body and stay in the forward line and shrug off pesky little defenders and kick goals. He went a lot better. I feel like this is what we are doing with TT, early days he was WC Gehrig, but now he's more working towards StK Gehrig.

Assuming he’s learned to use his size, which he hasn’t to date.
That problem seems to be related to ball movement. He's not a stand still in a pack and take a mark guy, but when he's moving and can get momentum, that's when he takes his best contested marks. Unfortunately a lot of our entries are just bombing it in and hoping for the best. Like we don't even try to drag defenders out to make space for guys, it's all about trying to overload a contest.

That problem seems to be related to ball movement. He's not a stand still in a pack and take a mark guy, but when he's moving and can get momentum, that's when he takes his best contested marks. Unfortunately a lot of our entries are just bombing it in and hoping for the best. Like we don't even try to drag defenders out to make space for guys, it's all about trying to overload a contest.

How many forwards actually thrive on having the ball on their head and wrestling?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Wow we had 3 in the top 20. This year we seem to have stunk at contested marking. Add a ruck who can also mark and it with Filthy back perhaps it turns.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Watching the replay of the last quarter, I noticed a number of occasions where he clearly ran back to the square to set up as the deepest forward. Hopefully this is a sign of how he’ll be used the remainder of the year.
Josh Jenkins Likes This

Watching the replay of the last quarter, I noticed a number of occasions where he clearly ran back to the square to set up as the deepest forward. Hopefully this is a sign of how he’ll be used the remainder of the year.
Despite my initial funny dig I do agree and I also think its a strong tactic

1. Gives him less wear and tear running up and down - save that for next year
1. He is just so strong
3. It gives our midfielders - if directed properly - to alternate short kicks or long kicks depending on the numbers

Played in ruck for a bit too & went ok.

Remove this Banner Ad

Player Watch Riley Thilthorpe - Signed to End of 2028

Remove this Banner Ad

Back