Player Watch Riley Thilthorpe

Remove this Banner Ad

We’re you at the match on Saturday night?

In the first quarter St Kilda were rolling an extra man back in defence and we had an extra man at the stoppages.

From the second quarter we had equal numbers at the stoppages and both teams had a plus-one in defence. This seemed to work better for us. Was this mentioned on the tellie? It was obvious at the game.

Did your dear diary footy stats notepad get wet at the game on Saturday?

When +1 at stoppages is your gameplan, you are almost always outnumbered when you go forward.

On SM-A115F using BigFooty.com mobile app

Having a +1 in defence or midfield does not mean you can’t find one on ones or players in space inside 50.

When we were the best attack in the league in 2016/17 it involved almost always having a spare in defence.

But again, it requires intelligent ball movement and forward structure, and this is Nicks.

Did your dear diary footy stats notepad get wet at the game on Saturday?
No, I was sitting in the Western Grandstand and I thought it was a magnificent effort by the many Crows supporters who guts it out in the rain.

There is no doubt that as beartoo has stated, we often have a +1 at the stoppages leaving a +1 against our forwards. I thought it was unusual that we changed this on Saturday night in the second quarter. St Kilda only scored 2 goals in the last three quarters so it seemed to work well.

You didn’t need to be a footy nerd to see this. There were numerous stoppages between the D50 and the F50 and a quick glance before the ball was thrown up would show you if either/both sides were playing a +1.

Last edited:
We’re you at the match on Saturday night?

In the first quarter St Kilda were rolling an extra man back in defence and we had an extra man at the stoppages.

From the second quarter we had equal numbers at the stoppages and both teams had a plus-one in defence. This seemed to work better for us. Was this mentioned on the tellie? It was obvious at the game.
No, I wasn't there. Can't tell on screen. I was going by what I've seen at games this year and I've been to all bar the last 2.

On SM-A115F using BigFooty.com mobile app

Was looking forward to seeing Rankine Friday night live but Thilthorpe will do!

I was trying to swap an earlier finish at work until Rankine got suspended and I thought '**** it, not gonna be worth the trouble' so I didn't even up changing my shift

Now I'm thinking 'damn would have been nice to see Thilthorpe potentially carve up

Oh well the one Melbourne game I missed this year was Carlton so maybe good that I miss it

He was at the junior members night at AFL Max this evening. I saw that his hand was bandaged but he still interacted with the kids and was in good spirits, doubt its anything too serious.

If I was a coach, hands down I'd empty the 50 tell Thilthorpe to never roam further than the 50m arc. Just have him one out about 20 metres from goal.

100%.

He is a matchup nightmare. Absolute unit now with his size and has ridiculous reach.

The benefit of him getting 15-20 touches up the ground is nowhere near as valuable as getting 5-7 touches in the forward 50.

We absolutely need to use him like Carlton use McKay.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I wonder what he would have thought if we had an earlier injury or it kept raining in the last
Interesting when The Messiah goes against the BF herd mentality. Likely 'Crickets' going forward about this inventive winning move by Nicks...
'
BUT if Blight had been critical we know the BW would have been all over his comments and reposting for days (likely years or decades actually).

Surely you agree with this old mate?

What an amazing quarter. The Beast - love it. Not just the physicality of the mark and then free but his deft handballs and touch after not playing an AFL game for almost a year. Impressive for anyone let alone a 201 cm Beast

Hard not to think he could join Rankine - and hopefully Curtin - as our most elite players over the next decade

Interesting when The Messiah goes against the BF herd mentality. Likely 'Crickets' going forward about this inventive winning move by Nicks...
'
BUT if Blight had been critical we know the BW would have been all over his comments and reposting for days (likely years or decades actually).

I dont agree with Blight and have posted my thoughts in the match thread BEFORE the game

I didnt hear Blight agree with it BEFORE the game - is that how it works?

I dont agree with Blight and have posted my thoughts in the match thread BEFORE the game

I didnt hear Blight agree with it BEFORE the game - is that how it works?
not sure we are saying the same thing. I am pointing out any POSITIVE analysis of Nicks coaching moves by a club and league legend are likely largely ignored. This would NOT be the case in reverse if Blight was critical of the move.

I think Nicks has had an underwhelming year overall but try and at least be somewhat balanced and point out a potential positive move rather than the normal 'Nank got dropped for Smith' error a zillion times

'

If Blight has sound opinions yeah then I agree with him, when he’s talking out of his arse then I don’t. That’s pretty clear cut.

In this instance, we’ve got the coach saying they were concerned when it was raining. That’s an admission by the coach that their plan carried risk. Now given it had been raining and rain was forecast, if you’ve got concerns you don’t make that decision. Never mind had we copped an early injury.

Blight was critical of Nicks gameplan, has been called in by the club and has changed his tune, he’s left him alone since. Funny that.

not sure we are saying the same thing. I am pointing out any POSITIVE analysis of Nicks coaching moves by a club and league legend are likely largely ignored. This would NOT be the case in reverse if Blight was critical of the move.

I think Nicks has had an underwhelming year overall but try and at least be somewhat balanced and point out a potential positive move rather than the normal 'Nank got dropped for Smith' error a zillion times
If you listen to blighty on the whole he’s getting past it.
Wouldn’t put too much stock in what he says these days.

If Blight has sound opinions yeah then I agree with him, when he’s talking out of his arse then I don’t. That’s pretty clear cut.

In this instance, we’ve got the coach saying they were concerned when it was raining. That’s an admission by the coach that their plan carried risk. Now given it had been raining and rain was forecast, if you’ve got concerns you don’t make that decision. Never mind had we copped an early injury.

Blight was critical of Nicks gameplan, has been called in by the club and has changed his tune, he’s left him alone since. Funny that.
ok that seems fair but IMO you either rate a commentators overall opinions or not. You cant pick and choose with "If Blight has sound opinions yeah then I agree with him, when he’s talking out of his arse then I don’t." - otherwise its just your opinion isnt it? Using his (your) opinions when he agrees and vv. Anyway, I have made my point and will go back to watching TT's 4th qtr highlights again :)

But I am saying its not a positive

I would have read Blights negative and see if it fit with my view then made comment or not

ok that seems fair but IMO you either rate a commentators overall opinions or not. You cant pick and choose with "If Blight has sound opinions yeah then I agree with him, when he’s talking out of his arse then I don’t." - otherwise its just your opinion isnt it? Using his (your) opinions when he agrees and vv. Anyway, I have made my point and will go back to watching TT's 4th qtr highlights again :)
That’s what people say to those that always agree with the club, have an opinion (on a forum) instead of just defaulting to what they do and saying that’s best.

Remove this Banner Ad

Player Watch Riley Thilthorpe

Remove this Banner Ad

Back