Player Watch Riley Thilthorpe

Remove this Banner Ad

That’s what people say to those that always agree with the club, have an opinion (on a forum) instead of just defaulting to what they do and saying that’s best.
and the occasional posters who aren't as black and white and see the nuanced middle ground, or pros and cons for different issues for the same person. I have already stated earlier today Nicks has had an underwhelming year and try, as best as I can, to be balanced but its all subjective isnt it..

and the occasional posters who aren't as black and white and see the nuanced middle ground, or pros and cons for different issues for the same person. I have already stated earlier today Nicks has had an underwhelming year and try, as best as I can, to be balanced but its all subjective isnt it..
I’d say its been worse than underwhelming.

I dont agree with Blight and have posted my thoughts in the match thread BEFORE the game

I didnt hear Blight agree with it BEFORE the game - is that how it works?
Blight also thinks Nicks is a good coach...

Overwhelming evidence suggests otherwise.

Blight also thinks Nicks is a good coach...

Overwhelming evidence suggests otherwise.
Kane, serious question mate as I rate your opinion, but I dont recall you being anti-Nicks before the start of this year (unlike many others who have been very negative for years). Is my memory completely off here or has your view completely flipped based on our clubs (and Nicks coaching) effort from this year?

ok that seems fair but IMO you either rate a commentators overall opinions or not. You cant pick and choose with "If Blight has sound opinions yeah then I agree with him, when he’s talking out of his arse then I don’t." - otherwise its just your opinion isnt it? Using his (your) opinions when he agrees and vv. Anyway, I have made my point and will go back to watching TT's 4th qtr highlights again :)
That’s nonsense. Someone can have good and bad opinions. You just don’t have some blanket rule if some commentator says it it must be true. That just makes you a mindless sheep.

Kane, serious question mate as I rate your opinion, but I dont recall you being anti-Nicks before the start of this year (unlike many others who have been very negative for years). Is my memory completely off here or has your view completely flipped based on our clubs (and Nicks coaching) effort from this year?
I was on record pre-season that I was sitting on the fence with Nicks & needed to see more... that he could take the next step to make us a regular finals contender.

Was also on record I didn't want him extended until was clear we were making finals this season. There was no good reason to rush an extension. I also said extending him when we did would only add pressure.

I have seen enough to realise that Nicks is not smart enough strategically to be a successful head coach. Stuffing up our successful & attractive game plan over the preseason cooked our season within the qsr month. He is regularly outcosched match day, doing little to quell the influence of an opposition's dominant player (usually a loose defender).

As someone who has attended since the 1st game against the Hawks, I'm seriously considering giving up my memberships if there is no significant change. We don't really have any proven successful quality football people at AFC, which is a huge problem.

I was on record pre-season that I was sitting on the fence with Nicks & needed to see more... that he could take the next step to make us a regular finals contender.

Was also on record I didn't want him extended until was clear we were making finals this season. There was no good reason to rush an extension. I also said extending him when we did would only add pressure.

I have seen enough to realise that Nicks is not smart enough strategically to be a successful head coach. Stuffing up our successful & attractive game plan over the preseason cooked our season within the qsr month. He is regularly outcosched match day, doing little to quell the influence of an opposition's dominant player (usually a loose defender).

As someone who has attended since the 1st game against the Hawks, I'm seriously considering giving up my memberships if there is no significant change. We don't really have any proven successful quality football people at AFC, which is a huge problem.
nailed it!

Ok thanks for the detailed explanation. And seems reasonable IMO for what’s that’s worth (if anything!) esp re his bad mistakes this year (early game plan, some dubious selections and also still losing close games) AND the premature re-signing by the Board.

IF next year we had an easier draw (as will finish bottom 6), less crucial player injuries, a natural progression of our many potential elite youngsters (TT, Max, Curtin, Rachele, Soli and even our early draft pick upcoming, an improved Pedlar, fit Murray etc along with Dawson and Rankine remaining elite), ended up winning most of the close games, rather than again not winning 4 close games under a goal, and say finished 13-10 (14-9), do you think Nicks could win you back with an improved performance?

That’s probably a question for all those that don’t rate Nicks. Just interested in how fixed these views are and could they be turned..

Ps re “quality” people within he footy dept I would think Burgess would certainly qualify. The ex Horks guy (Marco Bello) in development was there for the Horks 3 peat wasn’t he? After seeing Bond on the weekend most posters seemed to have flipped from delist (dud) to keep as showed excellent promise - poise, courage and endurance we already knew about. Perhaps sometimes as supporters we don’t fully see the development as early as hoped and there are certainly a number of failures in recent years (Jones, Mc H etc).

Lastly, when Nicks was hired as many posters IIRC wanted Burns as Snr coach and he was deemed to be a great get as Snr Assistant. That view has clearly flipped over the last year (or longer) but it could also be reasonably argued our well performing VERY young and inexperienced backline this year would be a decent amount to do with Burns work with them in recent years IMO.

Last edited:
Ok thanks for the detailed explanation. And seems reasonable IMO for what’s that’s worth (if anything!) esp re his bad mistakes this year (early game plan, some dubious selections and also still losing close games) AND the premature re-signing by the Board.

IF next year we had an easier draw (as will finish bottom 6), less crucial player injuries, a natural progression of our many potential elite youngsters (TT, Max, Curtin, Rachele, Soli and even our early draft pick upcoming, an improved Pedlar, fit Murray etc along with Dawson and Rankine remaining elite), ended up winning most of the close games, rather than again not winning 4 close games under a goal, and say finished 13-10 (14-9), do you think Nicks could win you back with an improved performance?

That’s probably a question for all those that don’t rate Nicks. Just interested in how fixed these views are and could they be turned..

Ps re “quality” people within he footy dept I would think Burgess would certainly qualify. The ex Horks guy (Marco Bello) in development was there for the Horks 3 peat wasn’t he? After seeing Bond on the weekend most posters seemed to have flipped from delist (dud) to keep as showed excellent promise - poise, courage and endurance we already knew about. Perhaps sometimes as supporters we don’t fully see the development as early as hoped and there are certainly a number of failures in recent years (Jones, Mc H etc).

Lastly, when Nicks was hired as many posters IIRC wanted Burns as Snr coach and he was deemed to be a great get as Snr Assistant. That view has clearly flipped over the last year (or longer) but it could also be reasonably argued our well performing VERY young and inexperienced backline this year would be a decent amount to do with Burns work with them in recent years IMO.
You really are a glutton for punishment...

You really are a glutton for punishment...
Look that’s probably true mate

ps well done for maintaining faith in Bonds ability. Not many others besides yourself. A real pleasant surprise and would love to see Ryan and Curtin play multiple games over coming weeks (even Edwards at a stretch for one game to let him see the level required leading into pre season)

My thoughts too. Long-time member, supporter from before 1st game, will relinquish membership if no moves to replace Nicks. Need to replace more than just him to get this under-performing club moving in the right direction. But Nicks would be a good start.

On SM-A115F using BigFooty.com mobile app

Well I for one am shocked to hear that!!
Yeah, unusual for me, but didn't have enough information to make a decision as we had been in rebuild mode & didn't know whether he was capable of taking us to the next level.

He has provided us mountains of evidence this year to make a decision... which makes me even more concerned about the club's decision makers!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

No, I don't think Nicks can win me back as I just don't believe he has the necessary IQ to be successful.

Not only is he poor strategically, he makes the same mistakes over & over... so he doesn't learn from his errors.

No, I don't think Nicks can win me back as I just don't believe he has the necessary IQ to be successful.

Not only is he poor strategically, he makes the same mistakes over & over... so he doesn't learn from his errors.
Doesn't even realise taylor would help him win games over murphy. Completely cooked.

Last edited:

If Nicks gets us into the finals without making the same errors and poor judgement then you’d have to, however if we make the finals but could have finished higher except for his same stupid decisions then it’s still a no.

The chances of him actually producing limited errors is very remote given what we’ve seen for 5 years.

Even if he gets us into the finals again, he'll only do something stupid like Massie on Franklin.

If he's still making rookie mistakes in year five, he's never going to learn.

I’d say its been worse than underwhelming.

This is to all - not aimed at you. How does yet another thread and up with a “we hate Nicks debate”
There is a Nicks thread - go and argue and bitch and moan over there
It’s bloody boring every time you click on a thread and it’s the same drivel

Nicks will be with us for another 11 months at the minimum ( personally I think a decent off season will see us make finals next year which means he will see out his contract)

So let’s try and talk about the topics the threads are setup for and not endure another year rehashing how much we don’t rate the bloke

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

This is to all - not aimed at you. How does yet another thread and up with a “we hate Nicks debate”

Nicks will be with us for another 11 months at the minimum ( personally I think a decent off season will see us make finals next year which means he will see out his contract)

So let’s try and talk about the topics the threads are setup for and not endure another year rehashing how much we don’t rate the bloke

It’s impossible for threads to stay on topic, for example say someone posts “I think EH is comparable to Riley”and then the follow up answer is then posted in the EH thread, how does that make any sense?
Things get off track due to most things interlinking, for example Nicks mistakes can be easily linked to Riley playing as sub.
It just happens, people need to get over it.

Someone asked him a question in this thread

Who is Riley Thilthorpe's senior coach?

This is clearly on the clappers who posted Blights comments on justifying Thilthorpes selection and then there were follow up questions on Nicks. So perhaps you should take it up with your brothers

Personal I don’t really care where people post, if it’s worth reading ill work thru it if not I switch off and move to the next post

Personal I don’t really care where people post, if it’s worth reading ill work thru it if not I switch off and move to the next post

I get it comes up (Nicks) but I think it need to be accepted on here he isn’t going anywhere, certainly under no pressure until the bye next year. And personal I think we will make finals next year, which then would lock him for the following year.
So I just think it’s overdone being in every thread.
But as mentioned , have a look and then flick on by to another thread

I get it comes up (Nicks) but I think it need to be accepted on here he isn’t going anywhere, certainly under no pressure until the bye next year. And personal I think we will make finals next year, which then would lock him for the following year.
So I just think it’s overdone being in every thread.
But as mentioned , have a look and then flick on by to another thread

Hard to remember but I don’t think anyone saw sando going?

Remove this Banner Ad

Player Watch Riley Thilthorpe

Remove this Banner Ad

Back