Summer RIO 2016 - Athletics (Track & Road events) 12th to 20th Aug

Remove this Banner Ad

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Ella handled it so well and she is young! She could medal in Tokyo.

Unlikely. I don't think people realise how hard it is to improve much in the sprints after about age 21. The commentators wittering on about 'Oh, she's so young!' etc haven't done homework.

Nelson's 22. She's just run PB of 22.5. And a bloody brilliant run it was.

Felix ran 21.8 at age 22. Bowie ran 22.1. Schippers ran 22.03 - while still being primarily a heptathlete. Thomson ran 21.6 at age 23. LaLova, who beat Nelson in both the heat and semi, ran 22.5 at age 20, and her PB (in the next 14 years) is now 22.32. Raelene Boyle ran her best ever time as an 18-year old. This is the level of 'Olympic Medallists' we are talking about.

To medal in an olympic 200m final, you have to run under 22. Nelson has had a massive PB improvement in the last year - from 23.04 to 22.50. It's going to be hard to do that again - and then some more. And doubly hard after age 21-22.

Having said that, she's got a couple of tenths improvement in her start, for sure.

Unlikely. I don't think people realise how hard it is to improve much in the sprints after about age 21. The commentators wittering on about 'Oh, she's so young!' etc haven't done homework.

Felix ran 21.8 at age 22. Bowie ran 22.1. Schippers ran 22.03 - while still being primarily a heptathlete. Thomson ran 21.6 at age 23. LaLova, who beat Nelson in both the heat and semi, ran 22.5 at age 20, and her PB (in the next 14 years) is now 22.32. Raelene Boyle ran her best ever time as an 18-year old. This is the level of 'Olympic Medallists' we are talking about.

To medal in an olympic 200m final, you have to run under 22. Nelson has had a massive PB improvement in the last year - from 23.04 to 22.50. It's going to be hard to do that again - and then some more. And doubly hard after age 21-22.

Having said that, she's got a couple of tenths improvement in her start, for sure.

Still is a chance, her improvement has been massive. It is good we have someone who is at least competitive over the sprints though. It is a shame she had that hamstring injury. Did that cost her 0.2 seconds, I'm not sure. If she stays fit, no reason she can't improve to running 22 seconds or under.

I was going to make the same comment. Realistically she needs to improve by half to three quarters of a second to be a hope of a medal. And while that's not impossible, it's pretty unlikely. Particularly when she's already made a pretty big jump this season to get where she is now. And as you say, she's young, but not that young.

Getting the Gainsford-Taylor's Australian record of 22.23 is definitely reachable however, as is making finals at World Championship/Olympic level.

I was going to make the same comment. Realistically she needs to improve by half to three quarters of a second to be a hope of a medal. And while that's not impossible, it's pretty unlikely. Particularly when she's already made a pretty big jump this season to get where is now. And as you say, she's young, but not that young.

Getting the Gainsford-Taylor's Australian record of 22.23 is definitely reachable however, as is making finals at World Championship/Olympic level.

Is that the same case with Mitchell Morgan as she's lacking speed. Not sure how much she will improve?

Remove this Banner Ad

Summer RIO 2016 - Athletics (Track & Road events) 12th to 20th Aug

Remove this Banner Ad

Back