Rioli or Selwood?

Remove this Banner Ad

hp how can you honestly say he will be better then Selwood when you cant watch Selwood play coz your heads to far up Rioli"s Bum???:confused:

I'm a Selwood fan as well as a Rioli fan.

I think Selwood plays very fairly and has a great attitude on and off the field. He's a gun.

Having said that, there are levels he won't be able to reach. And these are the same levels that will one day be within Cyril Rioli's grasp, should he want to reach them.

well for one thing selwood has a lot more courage then Rioli and thats something your born with!!! Rioli cant pop down to the 2 dollar shop and pick that up!!

well for one thing selwood has a lot more courage then Rioli and thats something your born with!!! Rioli cant pop down to the 2 dollar shop and pick that up!!

Don't undersell Rioli's courage; here's a kid who went back with the flight of the ball to try and get in the way of Matthew Lloyd just a couple of weeks back.

He's also only 10 contested possessions behind Selwood, despite the gap in total possessions, and gets a lot of centre clearances too.

Also way ahead in tackles.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

i am not saying Rioli doesnt have courage all i am saying is that Selwood has a lot more!! to which Rioli will NEVER get to that level!! Clear eunf for ya brains??

i am not saying Rioli doesnt have courage all i am saying is that Selwood has a lot more!! to which Rioli will NEVER get to that level!! Clear eunf for ya brains??

Who knows if that's even true. I'd probably put Selwood ahead in the hard nut category though.

Another interesting point, 2ndyearSelwood isn't very far ahead of 2ndyearRioli in terms of raw stats . . . and we all know that 2ndyearRioli's game includes a lot of features like a higher contested possession ratio, higher kick/handball ratio, breaking tackles, beating 2 opponents, defensive pressure, etc, that don't go on the stat sheet.
For 2ndyearSelwood to be the better player he would have to be a lot further in front on the stat sheet.

I think 2ndyearRioli is a better player than 2ndyearSelwood. So far anyway.

Don't undersell Rioli's courage; here's a kid who went back with the flight of the ball to try and get in the way of Matthew Lloyd just a couple of weeks back.

He's also only 10 contested possessions behind Selwood, despite the gap in total possessions, and gets a lot of centre clearances too.

Also way ahead in tackles.

It would be fair to say the Joel has shown alot more courage than Cyril so far. Of course thats not to say that Cyril isnt a courageous player.

Of course Cyril is going to have more tackles with the way the 2 play. Laying more tackles doesnt mean your a better player. Its funny how you selectively choose stats to support you arguement then ignore or try to devalue other stats.

Your thread has turned from a whos better atm and who will end up better poll into a who has more upside debate. Of which you seem to be losing aswell.

I would say that Selwood is much better than Rioli right now. So much so that even if Rioli has more supossed "upside" it probably wont be enough to ever reach the level Selwood will achieve.

I would say that Selwood is much better than Rioli right now. So much so that even if Rioli has more supossed "upside" it probably wont be enough to ever reach the level Selwood will achieve.

Rioli's been better in every year.

He had the better debut season, and the better follow-up season so far too.

Says who? you and other Hawks supporters?

Your right just because you think he did it must be true...

Rioli played every game in his debut, was 5th or 6th in the BnF and played well in the finals, (6th BOG). Selwood was ok in the finals.

And so far in Year 2, Rioli's stats are better, 8 less possessions a game, 1 more goal a game, 2.3 more tackles a game.

Rioli played every game in his debut, was 5th or 6th in the BnF and played well in the finals, (6th BOG). Selwood was ok in the finals.

And so far in Year 2, Rioli's stats are better, 8 less possessions a game, 1 more goal a game, 2.3 more tackles a game.

You can argue all you want but the majority of people agree Selwood is the better footballer. It's not underselling Rioli at all, it's just you're comparing him to someone better than him. No biggie.

You can argue all you want but the majority of people agree Selwood is the better footballer. It's not underselling Rioli at all, it's just you're comparing him to someone better than him. No biggie.

Selwood is the better footballer at the moment, but he's also a year ahead.

At the same stages in their careers, Rioli has been ahead both times.

I love watching Selwood and I would have him ahead at this point but Rioli is closing the gap. I've been really surprised at how much he has developed

Your Selectively choosing a few stats again to support your arguement.

Let me give it a shot. Selwood won the rising star by a landslide beating Pendles who i rate as a better player atm than Rioli and Palmer. Selwood was good in the finals and Cyril was just ok.

Selwood gets more possesions and hard ball gets than Cyril. He lays less tackles probably due to the fact he is under packs with his head over the ball and wants the footy more than others. Also the fact that the Cats genrally have alot more possesions and have the ball alot more than thier opponents therefore reducing the amount of opportunities he gets to tackle.

And wow a small forward/part time midfielder has kicked more goals in his second year than a midfielder did!!!! He must be the superior player........

When Selwood played his 50th game 4 or 5 weeks ago it was commented on that he had the best stats for a 50 game player ever (well since they started taking stats).

Now please go cherry pick some more stats to try and convince everyone your right.

Remove this Banner Ad

Rioli or Selwood?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back