Rioli shoulder injury

Remove this Banner Ad

Seems like I missed alot of fun this evening.

Lets say Rioli comes back in the last game of the season against WC, he would have missed 2 games (even though he will be able to run with a shoulder injury) and will be down on match fitness, which will limit his gametime in the middle.

More importantly, his key strength apart from his speed is his tackling ability, if he is not fully recovered he will be hurting when he tackles with a sore shoulder. I bloody hope Rioli recovers well, he as we all know is the core to all clearances, without him, we look slow and one dimensional. Will definately hurt our chances against Sydney.

If it actually is 2-3 weeks it's not auh a bad thing. Would prefer him playing but at least he'll be fresh for finals.
correct, he will be back first week of finals , I reckon he will miss 3 not 2. He wont lose any fitness this time of year and he is usually very good first up after a spell, we will beat Gc and the w***ers anyway, losing him for the Swans game is the worry. I copped the same injury during my time playing bush footy and missed 5 weeks but that was a decade ago and I didnt have any treatment just rest, so at the professional level where they get the best medical treatment and where they dont drink a mountian of piss after each game ( apologies D. Swan ) I think 3 weeks and he will be right. P.s. do we have a hyperbaric chamber at the Hawks.

We should be happy that Rioli hasn't done an AC joint or a season ending injury. It is what it is. He'll still be able to keep his fitness up with the sore shoulder. I'd rather he be ready for week one of the finals. Such is the nature of footy.

Franklin repeatedly was training with the full squad and I reckon the club has had a good heart to heart with him to be absolutely honest with how he feels he's pulled up after the last training session prior to the game. If he didn't feel absolutely cherry ripe he obviously told the club and wasn't played. Remember, Franklin also doesn't want to miss the entire finals series by coming back too early and pinging the hamstring.

He was training with the main group so there was obviously an attempt to get him right for the game. They
wouldn't let him participate in full training drills if there was either a risk or if there wasn't an attempt to get him up for the game. Like Clarko said, he's been frustrated too and in this case, I believe him. All the fans have been too. It's madness to take a risk with a hammy related injury so close to the finals. Probably give him another week off vs GC too because if he has a recurrence in this game, we will all go into meltdown, considering it's vs Gold Coast at home.

I'm very frustrated he isn't playing, but reading some of these posts is pretty depressing.

I guess the truth is not important anymore, and you can get stuffed.

Who are we to expect to get all of the information regarding injuries and updates. The club will do what is right by the club and playing team, both with recovery and information. We are on a need to know basis and that is the way it should be. Would you rather we knew everything about the club as it happens, and by default so do all of your competitors? I would not.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Disappointing that Cyril would be the one injured after a sh!tty, pointless game of football. Especially after he was clearly targeted by those second-class hacks from Port Adelaide. (Even if the injury was not a direct result of a snipe, who's to say the clash wasn't avoidable.)

Anyway, that's football. But I don't think we will be at our best come finals-time without Roughie, Cyril and Buddy (in whatever order you rank their importance.)

Here's hoping all three are playing and firing in September.

With Port openly targeting Rioli and Cyril ending up injured surely there is some duty of care breach by the coaching staff at Port?

I use as a precedent an amateur match many years ago when either a coach/captain or player instructed his team to " go out there and crack some skulls" or words to that effect. I can't recall if a player was seriously injured or died in the match that day. I do recall the incident ending up in court though.

The football field is also a workplace could this pre meditated assault on Rioli be considered workplace bullying?

The workplace comment is a joke, however i feel the first point has some substance.

Disappointing that Cyril would be the one injured after a sh!tty, pointless game of football. Especially after he was clearly targeted by those second-class hacks from Port Adelaide. (Even if the injury was not a direct result of a snipe, who's to say the clash wasn't avoidable.)

Anyway, that's football. But I don't think we will be at our best come finals-time without Roughie, Cyril and Buddy (in whatever order you rank their importance.)

Here's hoping all three are playing and firing in September.

Your post pretty much sums up my feeling about the Rioli injury. Second class hacks is what PFC are. They've targeted and taken out a really classy player and HFC should be pi**ed about it. What a shame. It is football and great players get targeted every week. We want to see the best out there playing not sitting on the sidelines hurt by hacks!

I think that everybody needs to take a deep breath, cease the baseless dispersions and look to next week. The sun will still rise tomorrow.

Yeah we still have the odd other small forward who can kick a couple. Poppy had a reasonable game on the weekend and Bruest can bob up every now and then for a sausage. Lewis has been known to bag the odd one here and there and then there's possibly Burgoyne, Hodge can drift forward and snag a few and if we're really desperate we can recall Ossie, Hill and even Whitey can fill that role if necessary. I think we can cover the great man for a few weeks....

With the way the ladders shaping we still need to win one of the Syd and WCE games to ensure top 4.

This injury has me more than a little worried now. More so than probably any other player, we rely on his spark/ pressure/ perceived pressure/ xfactor to get the team going, especially against the other top sides.

I hope the R23 WCE does not come down to a battle for top 4 without the little maestro.

Yeah we still have the odd other small forward who can kick a couple. Poppy had a reasonable game on the weekend and Bruest can bob up every now and then for a sausage. Lewis has been known to bag the odd one here and there and then there's possibly Burgoyne, Hodge can drift forward and snag a few and if we're really desperate we can recall Ossie, Hill and even Whitey can fill that role if necessary. I think we can cover the great man for a few weeks....
We would need to be really desperate to call on a guy with a season ending knee injury!

I think that everybody needs to take a deep breath, cease the baseless dispersions and look to next week. The sun will still rise tomorrow.
If you mean baseless aspersions, I don't agree there's no substance to the accusations; there have been more than a few mentions of a pre-meditated plan by Port to target Rioli. As you point out however, and as I thought I did, there is little or nothing we can do except look forward to a fit and firing Hawthorn in the coming weeks.

I am disappointed, like many here, that our injuries are starting to accumulate at the business end of the season. (And it doesn't help that the circumstances surrounding Bud and Cyril's injuries are not exactly clear cut.)

Remove this Banner Ad

Rioli shoulder injury

Remove this Banner Ad

Back