Rioli - was the balance just right this year?

Remove this Banner Ad

sgbn77

Club Legend
Oct 18, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Liverpool FC
Folks, I was having a think about this last night, and I usually forget my ideas for threads, so I'm very happy to recall!

We are all on the same page that Rioli was an out-and-out star this year.

Rewatching a lot of matches, it's remarkable how much skill and composure he had. He could take contested grabs when needed too, and he tackled like a madman.

But he was remarkably unselfish with quick handpasses often being the credit for many Hawk forward goals.

My query is, was last year one of those times when the moons just aligned and we had a remarkable player who was new to the club, and therefore keen to dish off, and make himself vital to the forwardline?

As another year passes...does Rioli grow in confidence, and as such, we inherit a Milne or a Betts...someone who takes the shot at goal, regardless of where they are...to the detriment of the team?

Thoughts?

I found it remarkable that our need of a crumbing creative forward was met so perfectly in the draft last year.

We couldn't have asked for a more perfect player to add to our side given what we needed from the draft.

It just seems to good to be true that we nailed Rioli at pick 12.

I'm pretty glad in the end we kept our first rounder and didn't trade it away.

Rioli, Birchall, have shown the value of a late first round pick, and hopefully someone slides again and we grab another great talent to add to the list.

What he said. Rioli is a super star midfielder waiting to happen. with his balance, poise, decision making and unbeleivable quick feet and football brain, he's going to be a silkier Daniel Kerr on steroids - minus all the negative aspects of Kerr's game and personal life.

I think he is just a special player who had a better first year than Buddy Roughead Lewis shit i cant remember a better first year player in the last 10 years @ the HFC the scary thing is how good could this kid be???

I think his unselfishness is just his instinct he reads the play beautifully & has so much time & composure some footballers are just team orintated lets hope this is the case with Rioli still amazing he lasted to pick 12 last year Junior will add more size & strengh over the pre season & look out in 2009!:thumbsu:

I think he is just a special player who had a better first year than Buddy Roughead Lewis shit i cant remember a better first year player in the last 10 years @ the HFC the scary thing is how good could this kid be???

I think his unselfishness is just his instinct he reads the play beautifully & has so much time & composure some footballers are just team orintated lets hope this is the case with Rioli still amazing he lasted to pick 12 last year Junior will add more size & strengh over the pre season & look out in 2009!:thumbsu:

Yeah, that second paragraph is the direction I was seeking...nothing about him as a talent, rather...did his "first year" nerves position him with a willingness to give off handpasses, and do all the hard things?

I found it remarkable that our need of a crumbing creative forward was met so perfectly in the draft last year.

We couldn't have asked for a more perfect player to add to our side given what we needed from the draft.

It just seems to good to be true that we nailed Rioli at pick 12.

I'm pretty glad in the end we kept our first rounder and didn't trade it away.

Rioli, Birchall, have shown the value of a late first round pick, and hopefully someone slides again and we grab another great talent to add to the list.

^^^^ you say it so well Charlie :thumbsu:

However, I dont think you have actually answered the OP's excellent question.

My answer is: Quite frankly dont know. I can say however what I hope turns out NOT TO BE.

Not to be a: "Kevin Bartlett" or a "Brad Johnson" and hungry for that glory and goal all by himself.

I think in the end he will get more of the ball and more of the goals just as long as he remembers its a team game and flying for the mark when he should be staying down is his role. If the big boys mark it, so be it, if not, its his for the taking.

^^^^ you say it so well Charlie :thumbsu:

However, I dont think you have actually answered the OP's excellent question.

My answer is: Quite frankly dont know. I can say however what I hope turns out NOT TO BE.

Not to be a: "Kevin Bartlett" or a "Brad Johnson" and hungry for that glory and goal all by himself.

I think in the end he will get more of the ball and more of the goals just as long as he remembers its a team game and flying for the mark when he should be staying down is his role. If the big boys mark it, so be it, if not, its his for the taking.
Agree Rusty there is no i in team unless i am the speller LOL!:thumbsu:

Watching Rioli this year he always looked like a natural footballer, made the hard things to do on a footy field look easy, and rarely wasted an opportunity with the ball.

Look at his run down the ground in the first quarter of the GF, he was always looking for an option and waited till the right one presented itself, you cant coach that its the players instinct, thats why I have no doubts he wont blaze away unnecessarily next year.

As his confidence and fitness grows I can only see his decision making improve as well.

I just can't see him turning into a midfielder for several years. Will pinch hit, but like Hodge, doesn't seem to be genetically built for gut running.

Would think that the tackling etc is in his game, so won't go and just seems an unselfish player.

Average of 20 touches per game and two goals would be a nice step up in 2009 !!

Remove this Banner Ad

Rioli - was the balance just right this year?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back