RIP 2011-2012 NBA Season

Remove this Banner Ad

302633_10150460382525446_541615445_10997497_727440614_n.jpg

Can someone shed some light or point me to a reasonably comprehensive rundown of how we have come to this situation? All I can kinda gather is that the players are greedy and the owners are mostly losing money from the bits and pieces that I've read but I'd like my opinion to be based on a bit more than hearsay (though that may well be all there is to go on, I don't know).

Basically:
- Players 'won' the last two CBAs
- System is inefficient, needs re-setting; owners agree on this, players kind of agree
- They got down to a 50-50 revenue split (players got 57% under old deals, they think they've given up heaps in going down to 50%)
- Disputes over other systems issues regarding contracts, exceptions, trades, luxury tax, etc. Players want those to go in their favour because "they've given up 7% of BRI", owners want a system which is profitable and helps to balance teams.
- Latest proposal from owners would've taken from middle class players to some extent (teams wouldn't have as much capacity to over-pay them)
- Stern gave them the latest proposal and said it'd be the best they'd get, players rejected that, and have filed a letter of disclaimer (meaning they're no longer represented by the union) and have now filed antitrust suits. So they're seeking damages for the lockout, as they believe the owners have stopped collective bargaining by proposing that "final" offer and have not acted in good faith.

All a bunch of BS, really. The union doesn't seem to have been acting in the best interests of the players, while Stern has supposedly lost some control of the owners.

That's about the only good thing to come out of the lockout.
You forgot about the best thing about the lockout. No chance of LeBum actually winning a ring. :D
Ever heard of streams?

Stance has always been that if they are so greedy as to cancel the season, i'll be done with it. So won't be spending money or watching any games, no matter what channel/stream they're on.
**** streams they are horrible quality and always cut out. It's very hard to consistently get good streams. League Pass is way better. And it's pretty cheap if you ask me.

You forgot about the best thing about the lockout. No chance of LeBum actually winning a ring. :D

**** streams they are horrible quality and always cut out. It's very hard to consistently get good streams. League Pass is way better. And it's pretty cheap if you ask me.

I agree. League pass is a great product and easily the best 150 bucks i spend a year. They can jam it now though.

If you fully blaming the players for this then you are deluded, the players were giving up a heap and then the owners wanted more, i mean in labour negotiations the labour rarely gets a worse deal. The owners saw the players concede some ground and thought the could get more and the players just said no.

That being said i could see negotiations recommencing before the desertification process is in full swing.

I do believe there is a fair few players who are not happy with them not getting a vote on a the final offer.

I heard Boston's owners were very willing to end the lockout and negotiate with the players, but Orlando's have been total dicks.
Will serve them right losing Dwight to free agency.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If you fully blaming the players for this then you are deluded, the players were giving up a heap and then the owners wanted more, i mean in labour negotiations the labour rarely gets a worse deal. The owners saw the players concede some ground and thought the could get more and the players just said no.

That being said i could see negotiations recommencing before the desertification process is in full swing.

I do believe there is a fair few players who are not happy with them not getting a vote on a the final offer.

Yes, damn those pesky owners for trying to scratch out a deal where they might actually make some money rather than just breaking even.

And those poor over-worked and under-loved players, why should they get 2mil instead of 3, 5mil instead of 8, 10mil instead of 15 just for playing the game they love.

Cry me a river, this is all on the players

Yes, damn those pesky owners for trying to scratch out a deal where they might actually make some money rather than just breaking even.

And those poor over-worked and under-loved players, why should they get 2mil instead of 3, 5mil instead of 8, 10mil instead of 15 just for playing the game they love.

So instead you side with the owners who are the wealthiest of all the people in play here? They can sell the team if they don't feel like they can make it profitable, im sure there are other billionaires out there willing to buy teams. The NBA outbid an offer of $350mil for the Hornets when it was last up for sale. So it's not like there's a shortage of old white guys with money wanting to run a team.

Yes of course, millionaire players are being so greedy while the poor old billionaire owners are only after what is fair and reasonable.

Many of the owners aren't billionaires. However, they are of course still filthy rich. Moot point really because it would only take just over two seasons for someone on the absolute minimum salary to earn a million dollars. This shouldn't be about individual income.

If the players were to settle the **** down, NBA basketball would resume on December 15. That's the key thing that everyone sees right now.

Many of the owners aren't billionaires. However, they are of course still filthy rich. Moot point really because it would only take just over two seasons for someone on the absolute minimum salary to earn a million dollars. This shouldn't be about individual income.

If the players were to settle the **** down, NBA basketball would resume on December 15. That's the key thing that everyone sees right now.

Well my point is more that I find it really absurd when people start flailing there arms around in their posts and say stuff like "OH BUT YOU GUYS ARE ALREADY MILLIUONAIES DFGDF WHATS ANOTHER COUPLE LESS MILLION DERP DERP DERP JUST SIGN THE DEAL DERP, WHAT ABOUT US BLUE COLLARED GUYS WITH NO TALENT, GIVE ME A CONTRACT AND I'LL PLAY FOR 10% OF WHAT THEY'RE ON DERP!!!!!".

Well my point is more that I find it really absurd when people start flailing there arms around in their posts and say stuff like "OH BUT YOU GUYS ARE ALREADY MILLIUONAIES DFGDF WHATS ANOTHER COUPLE LESS MILLION DERP DERP DERP JUST SIGN THE DEAL DERP, WHAT ABOUT US BLUE COLLARED GUYS WITH NO TALENT, GIVE ME A CONTRACT AND I'LL PLAY FOR 10% OF WHAT THEY'RE ON DERP!!!!!".
The stupid part is, they're not even going to make less money... Average salaries would be set to increase over the length of the proposal, the only significant "loss" of salary would be a) paycheques missed through the lockout, and b) tax-paying teams having to spend less on the MLE and Bird players being able to sign for more with their existing team over a new team... And of course the potential for teams spending less with harsher taxes. The players' perception is somewhat misconceived in that they think less BRI share = less money for them.

Agreed, even the players on the minimum make a heap of money in the eyes of 'Johnny Lunchpail' and 'Billy Punchclock' (thx Mr Burns), so it's understandable that his reaction to the lockout would be "damn greedy players just want another $million$ or five". However, the players are the reason we watch the NBA, so when it comes to divvying up the income pie I have no issue whatsoever with them getting their fair cut (whatever that figure actually is). From what I've seen/heard/read, they're essentially looking to keep the deal they had.

To paraphrase Bill Simmons of ESPN, the owners have been spending outrageous sums on ridiculous contracts, and now they're looking at Stern and co. to save them from themselves.

I recall an article a while back which posed the question "should sports-team owners be in the business of making a profit or winning championships?". I guess most of the NBA ones would argue for the former.

Remove this Banner Ad

RIP 2011-2012 NBA Season

Remove this Banner Ad

Back