RIP: Obituaries, memorials and things like that

Remove this Banner Ad

Stynes and Flower. The only two out and out champs they've had in the last 30 years. It just gets worse and worse for Melbourne.
I agree. Using the like button doesn't do either Flower or Stynes justice.

There haven't been many, if any, Australian politicians that have been as charismatic as him.

As a visionary & a statesman he is rightly regarded. As a Prime Minister he tried to do too much in a short space of time & some of his "supporters" were certainly dodgy.

A chapter of our history is now closed.

RIP.

Sad day in Australian politics, never again will we have charismatic, eloquent, idealistic and visionary statesmen. Gough was one of them, whether you agreed with his policies he certainly tried his best to shake the status quo in Australian society.

According to my dad 'Whitlam' as he would call him was the 'messiah' who would bring Australia and its citizens out of their sleepy hollow existence. Till this day, my dad talks about 'Whitlam' and his policies. I will be making a phone call to my dad about the sad news if he does not know already again my dad will reminisce and say Australia has never had a better politician.

RIP: Gough Whitlam.

Indeed Jack Bruce RIP: One of the pioneer multi talented musicians especially electric bass, i wasn't around at the time but i discovered 'Bruce and Cream' in my teens, they were ahead of their time.
Very much ahead of their time. I saw Bruce and McLaughlin in a group in England in 1971 -fantastic.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Indeed Jack Bruce RIP: One of the pioneer multi talented musicians especially electric bass, i wasn't around at the time but i discovered 'Bruce and Cream' in my teens, they were ahead of their time.

Did Jack Bruce fall on hard times later in life? I have a wonderful documentary, a 2 disc DVD simply titled "Cream". In interviews with Jack Bruce, he is wearing a blue pin stripe jacket that is horribly stained, it looked like something a homeless person would wear to keep warm.

A bit late, but Donald Metcalf. Has saved millions of lives (literally) with his cancer research. Most will have only heard (a long time ago) that Jose Carreras visited him personally and sang for him because he is only alive thanks to Don's work.

A bit late, but Donald Metcalf. Has saved millions of lives (literally) with his cancer research. Most will have only heard (a long time ago) that Jose Carreras visited him personally and sang for him because he is only alive thanks to Don's work.

I googled him and he has a bloody impressive resume.

Joe Cocker, RIP,

He took songs that were average in the hands of their creators and showed them what wonderful songs they'd actually written.

And he - inadvertently - highlighted the sheer conservatism of Australian back in the day.

This is kinda late, but was chatting to a few expats here when Acker Bilk's name came up. One guy said he used to drink with him, a great bloke, even after he shot to fame in the 60s, he still had a few with his mates in the local. Died a couple of months ago. Strangers on the Shore is a clarinet classic. R.I.P. Acker.

Remove this Banner Ad

RIP: Obituaries, memorials and things like that

Remove this Banner Ad

Back