4. Justin Westhoff (Port Adelaide) 10
5. Shannon Hurn (West Coast ) 9
6. Jess Smith (Kangaroos) 7
7. Bryce Gibbs (Carlton)
8. Tom Williams (Western Bulldogs) 2
8. Patrick Ryder (Essendon) 2
10. Martin Clarke (Collingwood) 1

Pretty fair placing for Napoleon IMO.

To come fourth having played just over half a season is a credit to him.

Selwood wins 8 x 5 votes + 1 x 4 = 44 out of 45 (Mainwairing gave him 4)
Pendelbury second 8 x 4 + 1 x 5 = 37.
Jones 5 x 3 + 1 x 2 = 17

The Hoff received,
3 from Bickley
2 from Kevin Sheehan and Adrian Anderson
1 from Rod Austin, Bartlett, Mainwairing
Total 10 votes.
No votes from Andy D, Healey and Walls.

Hurn 2 x 3 + 1 x 2 + 1 x 1 = 9 votes
Jesse Smith 1 x 3 + 2 x 2 = 7 votes

What happened to that superstar and greatest ever junior footballer Byrce Gibbs? 4 x 1 vote + 1 x 2 = 6 votes.

Gibbs is a bloody good player but the hype surronding him this time last year was ridiculous. The kid should never have been placed under so much pressure.

1. Joel Selwood (Geelong) 44
2. Scott Pendlebury (Collingwood) 37
3. Nathan Jones (Melbourne) 17
4. Justin Westhoff (Port Adelaide) 10
5. Shannon Hurn (West Coast ) 9
6. Jess Smith (Kangaroos) 7
7. Bryce Gibbs (Carlton)
8. Tom Williams (Western Bulldogs) 2
8. Patrick Ryder (Essendon) 2
10. Martin Clarke (Collingwood) 1

Pretty fair placing for Napoleon IMO.

To come fourth having played just over half a season is a credit to him.

but to say that Selwood has had twice as good a season as Hoff is a bit of a stretch if you ask me. Fair enough he played most of the season v Hoffs 13 games but 44 vs 10 is a fair bit out of whack. Then again I am not 100% sure of the voting criteria so maybe you are right Toots.

You have 9 judges giving votes on a 5-4-3-2-1 basis. So getting 3 or 4 times what another guy gets doesn't mean your 3 times better.

It's no different to Brownlow votes. There might be 3, 4, 5 or 6 outstanding players in a match. But it doesn't mean the guy who gets 3 votes is 3 times better than the bloke who gets 1 vote.

Gibbs is a bloody good player but the hype surronding him this time last year was ridiculous. The kid should never have been placed under so much pressure.
Yes, I think he'll turn out a fine player and will have a great career at Carlton.

I reckon a fair part of the hoohaa surrounding him was Damir Gibb's push to try and get him to the Crows. I think there's a very strong likelihood that sometime in the next few weeks we'll be hearing from Mr Gibbs justifying why his son didn't get the award. He finds it very hard to stay out of the spotlight.

Then there was all the noise from James Fantasia about how the Crows wouldn't rest until they'd secured him.

What happened to that superstar and greatest ever junior footballer Bryce Gibbs?

Bottom age (a year younger than Selwood) and at a dud club.

His numbers are actually quite solid given Pagan stuck him in a back pocket for a fair whack there - I still reckon he'll be the pick of this year's crop along with Tom Hawkins.

Why in the flying f#ck does Adrian Anderson get a vote?

Because for some reason he is also an All Australian selector.

Probably a hang over from when Alan Schwabb was 2IC to Oakley that the GM Football Operations got a vote. At least when it was Jackson and Demetriou running the comp, Andy D was justified in getting a vote as he had played 100+ games.

The voting panel was the 8 AA selectors plus Kevin Sheehan, the National Talent Manager and in charge of all the AFL's under age comps AIS-AFL scholarship etc.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Bottom age (a year younger than Selwood) and at a dud club.

His numbers are actually quite solid given Pagan stuck him in a back pocket for a fair whack there - I still reckon he'll be the pick of this year's crop along with Tom Hawkins.

I don't mean to bag Gibbs, but I just though there was too much hysteria around him before last years draft. The kid has had a solid season and I expect his career to take off.

It does beg the question though about WAFL and SANFL recruits vs TAC U-18 kids. The theory is that a kid is better of developing in a state league playing against men than a U-18 league. Selwood, Pendulbury and Jones have shown that the very best kids can handle the jump from playing against boys to men pretty smoothly.

It does beg the question though about WAFL and SANFL recruits vs TAC U-18 kids. The theory is that a kid is better of developing in a state league playing against men than a U-18 league. Selwood, Pendulbury and Jones have shown that the very best kids can handle the jump from playing against boys to men pretty smoothly.

There'd be other factors though of course.

Other heavily hyped kids who've taken awhile to get on their bikes where injury hasn't been a factor (see Luke Hodge) - the likes of Cooney, Wells and Gibbs - have had to relocate their lives to another city, whereas the three Vic kids mentioned have stayed 'home' as thus have been able to make a far smoother transition in familiar circumstances.

There'd be exceptions to this rule obviously - Nick Stevens, Chris Judd, etc - but I reckon if Wells had've been drafted to WCE or Cooney drafted to Adelaide they'd have had a massive first year impact rather than take a good 2-3 years to finally start pedalling.

I wouldnt worry too much, the Hoff is the type of player that is capable of winning a Norm Smith given his freakish ability to take a mark and kick goals. If we make a GF who knows what may happen?

I would be interested to see how the RS nominees fare in the Brownlow count, probably a better indication as there mixing it up with the big boys so to speak.

There'd be other factors though of course.

Other heavily hyped kids who've taken awhile to get on their bikes where injury hasn't been a factor (see Luke Hodge) - the likes of Cooney, Wells and Gibbs - have had to relocate their lives to another city, whereas the three Vic kids mentioned have stayed 'home' as thus have been able to make a far smoother transition in familiar circumstances.

There'd be exceptions to this rule obviously - Nick Stevens, Chris Judd, etc - but I reckon if Wells had've been drafted to WCE or Cooney drafted to Adelaide they'd have had a massive first year impact rather than take a good 2-3 years to finally start pedalling.

Fair Call!

Just checked and saw that Pendlebury and Jones were 2005 draftees. Selwood efforts this year to crack the Geelong mid field group and match it with the best of them has been outstanding. If Port did take him before Boak it would have been interesting how much the leaving home factor would have effected his game.

Fair Call!

Just checked and saw that Pendlebury and Jones were 2005 draftees. Selwood efforts this year to crack the Geelong mid field group and match it with the best of them has been outstanding. If Port did take him before Boak it would have been interesting how much the leaving home factor would have effected his game.
You could never tell though.

Heisenberg's Uncertainty Principle would come into play. :)

alot of people have been giving gibbs a hard time, its very hard as a young block to play well in a bottom team. he did play every game this year which was a good effort. In two or three years time we will know how good he will be.

Also Adrian anderson did play alot of footy in melbourne, ok not league footy but at a very good level. Probably should not have a vote but i would think he knows his football just as much as we all think we do.

You could never tell though.

Heisenberg's Uncertainty Principle would come into play. :)

Ah quantum physics and Aussie Rules. What a great mix. Did you ever see the play called Copenhagen by Michael Frayn. It was about a series of secret meetings between Heisenberg and Niels Bohr in 1941 in Copenhagen. Denmark was occupied by the Nazis at the time. Bohr had been Heisenberg's mentor and professor earlier on in their professional lifes. Both were Nobel lauretates. Heisenberg is working on the Nazi atomic bomb and the play revolves around whether he is trying to warn Bohr's about the building of the bomb or trying to recruit him. Old professional jealousies are brought up during the play.

Brilliant, intelligent writing by Frayn. You have to concentate fully because a lot of physics is discussed. The play involves the 2 principle characters and Bohr's wife. It takes a special effort by the actors to deliver belivable performances which occured the night I saw it.

His numbers are actually quite solid given Pagan stuck him in a back pocket for a fair whack there
Reality to DT - loose back pocket is the best place on the field to inflate stats.

Reality to DT - loose back pocket is the best place on the field to inflate stats.

He wasn't playing loose back there though, it was teeth marks on the toilet door-style rear action. ;)

Whilst they should have an influence, games played should not count as much as they do. It is not a baby Brownlow.
No probs with the winner etc but one would think he deserved at least a vote from all judges. Just goes to show they are voting on players they have not seen, or hardly seen.

EIDIT: On goals alone he has the better of players like Lloyd, Tredrea, Brown, Hall, Neitz, Lynch from WCE etc. They all took at least 3 seasons to take off. That is not just on number of goals scored but also on consistency of goals scored per game as well.

Remove this Banner Ad

Rising Star on Radio

Remove this Banner Ad

Back