Preview RND 1 - Carlton v Richmond - 7:25PM Thursday 22nd March @ MCG - Team - post #1352

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I wouldn't even play McKay.

With all due respect, the blinkered view of having to play players in their best spot is terribly antiquated and inflexible.

Horses for Courses is my view.

Tactics often change by the week and during games.

The tigers have a fairly unique fwdline with only one true tall, it stands to reason mixing things up is a possibility. To bury one's head in the sand is a tad silly IMO.
What's the meaning behind 'horses for courses' and 'bury one's head in the sand'?

I agree that McKay needs games but we are already tall I don't think we should be playing another tall.

This is the first game he will get games during the year.

Teague has talked about McKay needing continuity, I can't see the point in having him play a VFL practice match this week (and possibly next week) and then plugging him in (regardless of form) to a side that will be just as tall as it would be if we played him this week somewhere down the track - play him from the start, give him confidence and get him used to playing with Casboult and Charlie - we will probably lose this week regardless we may as well get some benefit out of it.

Suggest replacements.

Who do we have that are better players than those mentioned, who are also strong, tough, smart and skillfull as well as being quick and nimble and have good postioning and can read thr play?

Would you prefer to 2nds players just because they are a bit shorter?

Other than McKay all of the players you mentioned pick themselves at this stage. Yes, it isn't the best balance but these are the best we have.

On [device_name] using BigFooty.com mobile app

I’ll wait till I see the team tomorrow before I suggest who I’d go with. But if we’re already resigned to the fact that the balance is not the best and we don’t have any depth to address this, we’re bottom 4 again.

I wouldn't even play McKay.

With all due respect, the blinkered view of having to play players in their best spot is terribly antiquated and inflexible.

Horses for Courses is my view.

Tactics often change by the week and during games.

The tigers have a fairly unique fwdline with only one true tall, it stands to reason mixing things up is a possibility. To bury one's head in the sand is a tad silly IMO.
I wouldn't play McKay either. Cas, Charlie and Jack are enough talls up forward, and we can rotate our smalls up there.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I wouldn't play McKay either. Cas, Charlie and Jack are enough talls up forward, and we can rotate our smalls up there.
So when do we play McKay?

I can't see Casboult Jack or Charlie going anywhere this year so does McKay simply play VFL all year or wait in an injury?

We need to think longer term

McKay needs to develop, I wasn’t overly impressed with what I saw during JLT (I know they don’t mean too much).

I would let him dominate in the VFL first before I picked him, he needs to be consistent

Dominating the VFL is harder than it looks. The ball movement is worse so your running patterns aren't rewarded, you don't have a Levi or Charlie around you so you get double teamed, you get a muddy turf pitch in the centre or a wind swept wasteland out at Casey and you can get into bad habits.

Let him develop at the top level, let him develop chemistry with the other forwards and just be patient.

McKay needs to develop, I wasn’t overly impressed with what I saw during JLT (I know they don’t mean too much).

I would let him dominate in the VFL first before I picked him, he needs to be consistent

Yep, his time will come.

Atm we’ve got a developing midfield and swingmen in JW, Jack & maybe Marchbank.

Would prefer another mid to somehow counter a Richmond team that grinds sides into the dirt.

Last edited:
Why are we so obsessed with the height (or lack of eg: Fisher) of our team?

We have talk, athletics players. Cripps is 195cm, taller than Reidwolt yet plays as a mid. Too tall?

Cripps is just too short..... To play as a ruckman .......

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back