Preview RND 1 - Carlton v Richmond - 7:25PM Thursday 22nd March @ MCG - Team - post #1352

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Harry needs to be a more consistent player.

And he needs to compete for his spot in the team.

He doesn't offer more than Levi, and until he can get to that level, he isn't ready for regular AFL.

This talk of him not developing in the VFL is hogwash. The majority of development happens in training not on the field at Preston. Harry needs to take his lessons and demonstrate in training and at VFL that he is ready. If he does that, I am all for his elevation.

But arguing to fast-track a player because of some notion that he will learn more in the firsts makes no sense to me.

Who said it had to either/or withMcKay and Levi?

You can't learn how to play with AFL team mates against AFL opponents in the VFL

Tall sides have to play perfect football.

Hasn’t happened since ‘85.

Would be super impressed if we did it.

Adelaide played tall last year. Yes they got countered by a small side in the final....BUT, what if another top 4 side knocked out the Tigers earlier leaving Adelaide vs anyone else. Probably see their tall structure win the day and everyone going in with 3 talls in 2018 or at least talking about it.

Rock , paper, scissors and luck.

Think you are saying we are even taller than Adelaide? Still think we progress with our assets and might need to tinker one smaller defender.

Who said it had to either/or withMcKay and Levi?

You can't learn how to play with AFL team mates against AFL opponents in the VFL

I think the point is, he showed nothing in the JLT that warrants selection. It is as simple as that. The VFL/AFL debate though interesting is beside the point.

He was... "just not very good".

Adelaide played tall last year. Yes they got countered by a small side in the final....BUT, what if another top 4 side knocked out the Tigers earlier leaving Adelaide vs anyone else. Probably see their tall structure win the day and everyone going in with 3 talls in 2018 or at least talking about it.

Rock , paper, scissors and luck.

Think you are saying we are even taller than Adelaide? Still think we progress with our assets and might need to tinker one smaller defender.

Buddy,Roughy, Hale with Gunston from the bench wasn't lacking height either. It's more about mobility and quality than centimetre derived formulas.

Tall sides have to play perfect football.

Hasn’t happened since ‘85.

Would be super impressed if we did it.

Not so sure Stig, the Hawks and Cats did well with a strong spine and 3rd talls

Cats
Lonergan
Scarlett
Taylor
Mackie
Hawkins
Pods
West
Ottens

Hawks
Lake
Frawley
Gibson
Birchall
Hale
Roughy
Schoenmakers
McEvoy
Gunston

I don't buy into this smaller side stuff of the last 2 years. Dogs and Tigers smashed sides in contested ball, that is what set them apart in finals

So when do we play McKay?

I can't see Casboult Jack or Charlie going anywhere this year so does McKay simply play VFL all year or wait in an injury?

We need to think longer term
I see McKay as a replacement to Cas. We have to remember that he missed a large chunk of his first season due to his back injury, and needs to get more footy under his belt imo.

Apart from the obvious Rance. Grimes and Astbury are very good tall defenders who can hurt us going the other way. Im happy for Mckay to play, but he must get dangerous. Give Rich defenders something to think about.

I see McKay as a replacement to Cas. We have to remember that he missed a large chunk of his first season due to his back injury, and needs to get more footy under his belt imo.
But if we don't play him now he won't be ready when we need him

Not so sure Stig, the Hawks and Cats did well with a strong spine and 3rd talls

Cats
Lonergan
Scarlett
Taylor
Mackie
Hawkins
Pods
West
Ottens

Hawks
Lake
Frawley
Gibson
Birchall
Hale
Roughy
Schoenmakers
McEvoy
Gunston

I don't buy into this smaller side stuff of the last 2 years. Dogs and Tigers smashed sides in contested ball, that is what set them apart in finals

It’s a healthy enough set of figures.

Almost be standard.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He needs to be played to get better,

So does Polson, Lebois, Lachie O Brien and ten others.

Like those other names, he hasn't show enough in JLT to warrant a spot. We cant fit them all in based on ''he needs to get better'. All of the players not in the round 1 team need to play to get better. Are you saying to play all of those players as your point is valid for all of them.

Bolton needs to balance selection of all these players who all must be played who all need to be developed and pick a 22. He does that based on form. Mckay like the others showed none.

So does Polson, Lebois, Lachie O Brien and ten others.

Like those other names, he hasn't show enough in JLT to warrant a spot. We cant fit them all in based on ''he needs to get better'. All of the players not in the round 1 team need to play to get better. Are you saying to play all of those players as your point is valid for all of them.

Bolton needs to balance selection of all these players who all must be played who all need to be developed and pick a 22. He does that based on form. Mckay like the others showed none.
Tall forwards are different and McKay has been on the list longer.

He won't become an AFL key forward playing in the CFL with s hoody ball movement and weaker opponents.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back