Preview RND 1 - Carlton v Richmond - 7:25PM Thursday 22nd March @ MCG - Team - post #1352

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
D
Yeah Mullet is the big surprise there to me as well, I can see that they like his foot skills and that they play into the over all strategy but not sure how he gets squeezed in. I unfortunately already had Cuningham out because of Byrnes form in the last JLT.

I would be very disappointed if the didn't go with Harry but with Mullett in it looks the most likely.
Dont see how Mullett being in the side would have anything to do with Mckay's selection or not?

Yeah Mullet is the big surprise there to me as well, I can see that they like his foot skills and that they play into the over all strategy but not sure how he gets squeezed in. I unfortunately already had Cuningham out because of Byrnes form in the last JLT.

I would be very disappointed if the didn't go with Harry
but with Mullett in it looks the most likely.

Bolton has already said he's not playing.

Bolton: Paddy Dow, Matt Kennedy, Aaron Mullett and Jarrod Garlett will make their Carlton debuts tomorrow night.

Good luck to ALL of them, but especially excited to see Dow and Kennedy debut for Carlton.

....And Garlett.....;)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Of the 'new' players on the list in JLT Bolton tried out : O'Shea/Mullett/LOB/Garlett/Dow and Kennedy - Lang wasn't available . Against Saints he got a good look at Garlett and Pickett as small forwards. Garlett bruised his shoulder making a really strong tackle on Stevens who was trying to run the boundary. Pickett somehow broke a bone in his wrist at training. So Bolton's JLT1 small forward preference combination is off the table.

I am assuming both Kennedy and Dow are locks to play in round 1.

Q#1 - is Garlett fit and does Bolton want him on the field against Richmond?
In JLT#2 Pickett played really well - sans Garlett - but is now unavailable till after the bye...
The other formation up front included Thomas/Lamb/Wright/McKay/Casboult/SOJ and Charlie- with Casboult playing most of the game as a ruck when Kreuzer went off.Harry rotated through the ruck at times. The forward line and forward entry strategies had to be rejigged (obviously) - Kicks to contested situations looked a bit scrappy when two talls were jumping at the same time - is this part of Teague's preferred plan? McKay was mobile, good below the knees but dropped a few regulation marks when he got first hands to ball, didn't do much wrong or much right...
Q#2 - is Harry now a permanent part of Bolton's go forward set-up?
In the backs - O'Shea featured for a relatively small amount of time - but did ok. Mullett played decent game times in both JLT games was better in JLT2 where he bobbed up and scored in front of open goal - showed foot speed and managed to be in some good positions in attack. Did he perform better than Cuningham?
Q#3 who is better value to Bolton off the bench as a rotating smaller defender Mullett or Cuningham - is O'Shea really an option?
LOB played both JLT matches and has been mentioned as a bloke who will play plenty of games in 2018 by his own team mates....
Q#4 - is Bolton going to fast track LOB and play him on a wing as of round 1?

Players yet to play in 2018: how likely is it that Lang will be started in round one - with no JLT 'form' - is he fit enough to play - at least off the bench? Kerridge is probably the only other non-player capable of playing a rotating mid role.

Last edited:
Of the 'new' players on the list in JLT Bolton tried out : O'Shea/Mullett/LOB/Garlett/Dow and Kennedy - Lang wasn't available . Against Saints he got a good look at Garlett and Pickett as small forwards. Garlett bruised his shoulder making a really strong tackle on Stevens who was trying to run the boundary. Pickett somehow broke a bone in his wrist at training. So Bolton's JLT1 small forward preference combination is off the table.

I am assuming both Kennedy and Dow are locks to play in round 1.

Q#1 - is Garlett fit and does Bolton want him on the field against Richmond?
In JLT#2 Pickett played really well - sans Garlett - but is now unavailable till after the bye...
The other formation up front included Thomas/Lamb/Wright/McKay/Casboult/SOJ and Charlie- with Casboult playing most of the game as a ruck when Kreuzer went off.Harry rotated through the ruck at times. The forward line and forward entry strategies had to be rejigged (obviously) - Kicks to contested situations looked a bit scrappy when two talls were jumping at the same time - is this part of Teague's preferred plan? McKay was mobile, good below the knees but dropped a few regulation marks when he got first hands to ball, didn't do much wrong or much right...
Q#2 - is Harry now a permanent part of Bolton's go forward set-up?
In the backs - O'Shea featured for a relatively small amount of time - but did ok. Mullett played decent game times in both JLT games was better in JLT2 where he bobbed up and scored in front of open goal - showed foot speed and managed to be in some good positions in attack. Did he perform better than Cuningham?
Q#3 who is better value to Bolton off the bench as a rotating smaller defender Mullett or Cuningham - is O'Shea really an option?
LOB played both JLT matches and has been mentioned as a bloke who will play plenty of games in 2018 by his own team mates....
Q#4 - is Bolton going to fast track LOB and play him on a wing as of round 1?

Players yet to play in 2018: how likely is it that Lang will be started in round one - with no JLT 'form' - is he fit enough to play - at least off the bench? Kerridge is probably the only other non-player capable of playing a rotating mid role.

Think your post is a bit late ;)

So by my calculations, 1 of Wright, Lamb or Cunningham misses out

Unfortunately I think it is going to be Cuningham, I really like the kid and really want him to have a big year but I can't see Wright missing after being top 2 in the goal kicking for the last 2 years and I think Bolts really likes what Lamb brings.

Posted this in a different thread, but should probably put it in here too.

This is the team I think we'll see next Thursday night against the Tigers.

B: Byrne - Jones - Plowman
HB: Simpson - Weitering - Marchbank
C: E Curnow - Kennedy - Mullett
HF: Lamb - C Curnow - Fisher
F: Silvagni - Casboult - Wright
R: Kreuzer - Cripps - Murphy
Int: Dow - SPS - Cuningham - Thomas
Emer: LOB - McKay - O'Shea - Lobbe

Not considered (injury) - Pickett, Docherty, Rowe, Lang, Williamson

A few notes...

1) Harry - Don't think he did enough through the preseason games to warrant selection, but there is an argument to be made that he'll be better off developing at senior level regardless. I think we'll look far more dangerous across the ground with an extra small so I've given his spot to Lamb in the above side.

2) Mullett - I've gone for him over Garlett for the last spot in our side, but only just and it won't surprise should we go the other way. Garlett well and truly on the cusp but the shoulder injury in JLT1 may just work against him here.

3) Lang/Williamson - I have both in our best 22 but I think we can play it safe rather than rush either or both into the side on the back of interrupted preseasons.

Looks like this will be pretty close to the mark.

Harry confirmed as missing out, which is no real surprise given his preseason performances which weren't anything great. I think they've done the right thing here.

I had Mullett there at the expense of Garlett, good to see Jarrod has recovered from the shoulder injury and both have been named. Very interesting now to see who misses out - surely has to be one of Lamb or Cuningham. I'd like to think it is the former, but my gut tells me the latter.

Would like to know how close Lang was. Glad they've gone conservative there, there's no need to rush him in but he'll be in there soon enough.

Looking at the changes from Round 23 side (as this is how the format will look when teams are named tonight)

Predicted changes:

Richmond
OUT: Prestia Broad Houli Rioli
IN: Ellis Conca Short Bolton

Carlton
OUT: Docherty Gibbs Williamson Boekhorst Graham Armfield Kerridge Pickett Smedts
IN: Kennedy Dow Garlett Cripps Curnow Marchbank Mullett Plowman Silvangi

9 changes (mostly injury related) , 10 changes if we go with Cunningham over Lamb.

Looking at the changes from Round 23 side (as this is how the format will look when teams are named tonight)

Predicted changes:

Richmond

Carlton
OUT: Docherty Gibbs Williamson Boekhorst Graham Armfield Kerridge Pickett Smedts

9 changes (mostly injury related) , 10 changes if we go with Cunningham over Lamb.

You would have to say it is a much stronger team.

Things will become very interesting when Williamson, Pickett & Lang regain full fitness.

Predicted changes:

Richmond

Carlton

Just saw this on Twitter. :p

Matthew Kennedy could be one of the recruits of the year. He will fit in nicely in Carlton’s midfield. He’s like a younger version of Ed Curnow but with better skills.

With so many pundits tipping Richmond there doesn’t seem to be anyone giving Carlton a chance, but with a new look line-up I have a feeling the Blues will cause the upset of Round 1.

Carlton by 2 points

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back