Preview Rnd 1 - Carlton v Richmond Thursday 14th March 7.30PM @ MCG - Team Stickied

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Team is in ....

Only 1 change!

IN: Durdin

OUT: Doc :'(

EMG: Moir, Binns, Pittonet

Team.jpg

Last edited:
Thought Ollie was fumbly. But his defensive efforts were amongst the best in the team. His offensive game will get going, but when it wasn't, he was as strong as ive ever seen him defensively

Sort of agree thought he’s down over the game not his usual running self.

Got pushed off the ball quite often still developing I know.Only one game.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Disagree. Even with a poor offensive game he contributed with his workrate and defensive work. He’s quickly becoming a vital player

His combination with Acres is one of our great strengths
He didn't get dropped last year due to a lack of workrate. That's the minimum requirement, if there's someone that can provide that plus be a better offensive option then they should get picked.

I don't think it'll come to that though, I think he'll come out next week and get 20+ and set up a few goals.

Struggled with being one touch, but his defensive work ethic was sublime

I'd back him in, but I agree Cottrell easily slides into that role if Ollie has a pool or patch

Elijah then slots into the Cottrell role at HF

Personally, at this early stage, with Doc going out, Carroll comes in, Elijah for Cuners

But, by the end of the Tigers games, everything will likely change again

Agreed - 1 good game next week and he's away. Comparing Ollie to Acres / Cotters he just hasn't filled out physically yet. This does hurt us on occasion. He took on Dunkley on the half back flank and tried to burst through the tackle near the boundary and dunkley just rag-dolled him. Again - nothing against Ollie but with the competition for spots it's going to come down to fine margins.

Walsh will push someone out. Motlop has to push someone out of the forward line which again could be Cotters further up the ground. Then Elijah has to also squeeze someone out.

I can't see Cunners getting dropped on that performance. He was outstanding and we just don't have enough players with that burst speed. Would have been handy if his 1.2 was 3 goals but hopefully he kicks a couple against the tigs.

Disagree. Even with a poor offensive game he contributed with his workrate and defensive work. He’s quickly becoming a vital player

I think Ollie is an outstanding prospect for the future. Such a huge talent. I just think there will be some very unlucky players in the VFL in a couple of weeks. Someone has to go out for Walsh, Weiters, Marchbank, Martin, etc.

Sort of agree thought he’s down over the game not his usual running self.

Got pushed off the ball quite often still developing I know.Only one game.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Ollie's always a bit fumbley to be honest. Not a one touch player and a bit slow with his decision making. Will need to tidy this up if he's ever going to be an inside mid. A bigger body will probably help him too.

Right now offensively he's much better when he has a bit of space. One of the reasons wing is the right spot for him. Defensively he's great both inside and outside the contest.

Love H as back up ruck! He’s like an extra mid ruck/rover and u can’t underestimate having someone like that in the middle at times.(so is tdk for that matter)

Absolute nightmare for opposition to try and combat the mobility of our ruck duo now!

Love big pitto but imo he doesn’t get a look now unless required for reasons(im not saying the word)

Cottrell wasn’t any better than Hollands Friday night and is nowhere near as good a player

Hollands will just get better and batter

Names like Cottrell & Cuningham don’t do enough to play wing

If Hollands or Acres miss any games during the year it will be Binns or even Wilson that will replace them

Interesting view on it. Cotters had 14 and a goal from the half forward flank. 14 and 1 goal on a hff is actually very good based on the way we play. For context Jack Martin had 15 disposals twice in a game last year. Those were his biggest disposal games. Cotters 17 disposals and 2 goals in the elim final was elite.

Interesting view on it. Cotters had 14 and a goal from the half forward flank. 14 and 1 goal on a hff is actually very good based on the way we play. For context Jack Martin had 15 disposals twice in a game last year. Those were his biggest disposal games. Cotters 17 disposals and 2 goals in the elim final was elite.

I didn’t say Cottrell was bad. Hollands had 8 tackles and 29 pressure acts. To many people look at kicks and marks and not role and what get did to help win game

He didn't get dropped last year due to a lack of workrate. That's the minimum requirement, if there's someone that can provide that plus be a better offensive option then they should get picked.

I don't think it'll come to that though, I think he'll come out next week and get 20+ and set up a few goals.
Voss has made it pretty ****ing clear it's defense first. Not offense. Offense can be built off a strong defense.

Id go the other way.

Only interchange at goals and QTR/half time break.

Me too, coaching is so good nowadays fatigue is absolutely needed to open up the game. Kev Bartlett was absolutely right and proven over the last couple of years.
I’d go further and have 5 on the bench and 60 interchanges max

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

I didn’t say Cottrell was bad. Hollands had 8 tackles and 29 pressure acts. To many people look at kicks and marks and not role and what get did to help win game
Spot on Soap....it's an absolute sign of maturity from Ollie that even if your not getting the pill, you can still make a huge contribution to the game. Similar to Fog - if you looked at his stats in isolation, you'd say he had a quiet game - but his influence particularly in the 2nd half was massive.

Either way, those of us who headed to the open training sessions saw Ollie prominent out on the track. I have zero doubt we'll see him blossom even more as the season rolls on.

Sorry - you said: Cottrell wasn’t any better than Hollands Friday night and is nowhere near as good a player

I do agree that long term Ollie will be better but I was also pointing out that I thought Cotters was quite a bit better against Bris.

Again - not trying to be overly negative about Ollie but he was poor the other night and he'll have to play much better to stay in the team. Defensive workrate will only get him so far in my opinion. Especially given his light weight means his pressure acts don't actually make much of a difference sometimes. He just gets brushed off.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He was so fumbly, was giving me the shits, but then he goes and gives repeat efforts to make up for it

He has the work ethic and courage to be a full blown midfielder but he just has to get better with his ballhandling

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Spot on Soap....it's an absolute sign of maturity from Ollie that even if your not getting the pill, you can still make a huge contribution to the game. Similar to Fog - if you looked at his stats in isolation, you'd say he had a quiet game - but his influence particularly in the 2nd half was massive.

Either way, those of us who headed to the open training sessions saw Ollie prominent out on the track. I have zero doubt we'll see him blossom even more as the season rolls on.
Love Ollie’s endeavour. But having watched the Brisbane game now 27 times, he really struggled to add value beyond his willingness to compete.

I also think he has huge upside. Just not sure a team aiming at a premiership this year can carry a player too easily taken off the ball.

Love Ollie’s endeavour. But having watched the Brisbane game now 27 times, he really struggled to add value beyond his willingness to compete.

I also think he has huge upside. Just not sure a team aiming at a premiership this year can carry a player too easily taken off the ball.
this is just............really odd...........carry? taken off the ball?

this is just............really odd...........carry? taken off the ball?
No it’s ….really not.

Maybe it’s just something you don’t agree with…

Watch the game again … he had a poor game . Tried very hard , competed, but was taken off the ball constantly.

He struggled to halve contests.

He couldn’t get to the outside, when he did, he struggled to find the pace of the game.

He added very little value in the Brisbane game.

All emotion aside - if he has a similar game against Richmond - he could well make way for his bro.

Agreed. He played better in the practice match against the dees though so will be interesting to see how he bounces back this week. Kicked a nice goal against Geelong. If he does enough damage with the ball he'll stay in the team. Getting 3 pos for the whole first 3 quarters of the game puts him at risk though.

Tigs will put Kamdyn tiprat on him so he'll be in for a very physical game.

No it’s ….really not.

Maybe it’s just something you don’t agree with…

Watch the game again … he had a poor game . Tried very hard , competed, but was taken off the ball constantly.

He struggled to halve contests.

He couldn’t get to the outside, when he did, he struggled to find the pace of the game.

He added very little value in the Brisbane game.

All emotion aside - if he has a similar game against Richmond - he could well make way for his bro.
one game..........bloody hell.........

There is some decent quality returning over the coming weeks, which we all know will strengthen our side

Right now based on consistency, I have more faith in Cottrell than Cuners or Owi

Agreed. He played better in the practice match against the dees though so will be interesting to see how he bounces back this week. Kicked a nice goal against Geelong. If he does enough damage with the ball he'll stay in the team. Getting 3 pos for the whole first 3 quarters of the game puts him at risk though.

Tigs will put Kamdyn tiprat on him so he'll be in for a very physical game.
If he can’t get to the outside, against the stronger teams he’s a liability on the inside.

It’s just time for Ollie - he has to learn to position himself to advantage until his body is strong enough to compete in close.

one game..........bloody hell.........
You’re missing the point.

This isn’t about whether he’s going to be a 250 gamer and loved by us all forever more. He will be.

Watch the game again

He can not complete around the ball in dispute. He just not strong enough yet.

It’s also not the first time - not just one game.

He’s got to get to the outside and use his run & disposal to add value.

We are a premiership team in the simmering - I can’t imagine Voss isn’t watching the tape thinking he need to
Keep a watch on young OH.

Last edited:
Your missing the point.

This isn’t about whether he’s going to be a 250 gamer and loved by us all forever more. He will be.

Watch the game again

He can not complete around the ball in dispute. He just not strong enough yet.

It’s also not the first time - not just one game.

He’s got to get to the outside and use his run & disposal to add value.

We are a premiership team in the simmering - I can’t imagine Voss isn’t watching the tape thinking he need to
Keep a watch on young OH.
fair call, appreciate your explanation - don't ever tell me to watch a game again............again.........

fair call, appreciate your explanation - don't ever tell me to watch a game again............again.........
But this is ok?

“this is just............really odd...........carry? taken off the ball?”

If you call my opinion ( that’s all you and I offer after all ) … “really odd”, the chance of the reply coming back a little defensive is high.

I love what Ollie has done so far - his courage and tenacity.

But this last game & others prior have exposed something that is a clear weakness for Ollie.

It’s a weakness for us - the ball got past him too many times.

He has to get body on the ball - a worry against much bigger bodies.

it’s not a knock on him, it’s just trying to acknowledge weaknesses & improve - something I hope Ollie and Voss are thinking about.

But this is ok?

“this is just............really odd...........carry? taken off the ball?”

If you call my opinion ( that’s all you and I offer after all ) … “really odd”, the chance of the reply coming back a little defensive is high.

I love what Ollie has done so far - his courage and tenacity.

But this last game & others prior have exposed something that is a clear weakness for Ollie.

It’s a weakness for us - the ball got past him too many times.

He has to get body on the ball - a worry against much bigger bodies.

it’s not a knock on him, it’s just trying to acknowledge weaknesses & improve - something I hope Ollie and Voss are thinking about.
no need to back over an organic conclusion.....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back