Autopsy Rnd 17 v Bulldogs Autopsy Thread *Merged*

Remove this Banner Ad

Was great to see Yazz back himself regardless of the state of the game. In the first half he just kept trying to break the lines... Yeah so he gets caught a couple of times, the excitement he creates when he goes for a run is spine tingling.
Bell was a breath of fresh air and did a Robbo tonight in his absence. Loved the contest he gave us. Rapt for Casboult as he had probably the most daunting of tasks for a debutant and some of his pack marks were bloody fantastic.
Was so proud of the guys tonight. Went to the game with an odd mindset of thinking that with the side we had on the park, my expectations were...well... I wasn't going to get too disappointed with a loss. Almost resigned myself to it.
Scotto was clean, busted his guts to keep running. Saw guys with limited opportunity stand up when they were needed. Thornton again did what was required, McLean was a much needed hard nut at the contests. Two maligned players showing a bit. Gibbs lifted in the second half. Russell lifted. Bower though... Son you'll look back at that contest and want to hide. (we have a lot of maligned players I have realised)
Andy Collins. I hope this is considered his 'break out' game. A pleasure to watch. As others have mentioned, very 'Hoops' like.
Murph was good, Murph was great and he can win a toss.
Finally to see Jeffy take the ball cleanly and also work up the ground a little, he needed this game so badly and his confidence would had lifted immensely. Eddie Betts for the icing with two supreme goals and an assist in the last.
A lot to like from tonight's game. Easily the weakest Carlton side in the last five years (more?) but had we been playing a side with a little more disposal efficiency it could have got ugly.

Few obs. Jamo looks down to me, got ragdolled a couple of times in the first half (shepherded out in the goal square and not able to touch balls rolling into goals) fit Jamo would not be so out - muscled. Fought it out in the second half so his game overall was ok, but his first half he looked well down.

Bell did look pretty good for a first gamer. (every now and then I saw Kouta). Needs another go next week to ensure he progresses, I remember Twomey looked to be a big body player and did ok (not as good a Bell) in his first game and only played 2 in total before being shipped.

Seeing the Carrots goal where Yazz was surrounded by 3 bulldogs for about 10 paces but kept that distance takes some nerve, he just knew they could not catch him, and he doesnt blaze away and just delivers, would accept him being caught every second run if that is going to be the outcome, but he only got caught once last night. Love watching it.

Casboult gave it everything he had, was great to see him crash packs and clunk some marks, shame he didnt get on the goal kickers list, would have topped off a fine debut.

McInnes and Watson continue to impress with their development at top level, Macca in particular looks calm under pressure.

Thornton and JR did well enough to think they could go again next year but they are petering into depth rather than regular first graders, cant say the same for Bower sadly, cant imagine he would get another contract.

No talk about how bad our recruiting has been this week. One week is a long time in footy.

So now that we have depth again, and presuming Waite(big?), Kruze, Hendo, Robbo, 206 could come in next week who goes out for them. You cant keep all the kids in if you want to put any of these players back in.

Great win against poor competition, but given the number of outs we had, as meritorious as any wins except the Collingwood wins.

Have so much love for Eddie. Brilliant season. Won't win it because of the position he plays but should finish top3 in our B&F for consistency in the hardest position to play consistently. 36 goals in a side that's struggled to score. :thumbsu:

Eddie is the only Carlton player I would have in line for the all-australian squad selection this year...i guess he will just miss out on being selected for the squad though as he isn't considered consistent enough, but yeah he has been good in a tough position on the ground.

re- Bell - one has to wonder what is going on with the match committee. Why has it taken so long for Bell to debut? They kept Hampson & or Kreuzer in mid-season for about 6 games when it clearly wasn't working either due to injury or lack of form - when clearly Bell would have at least provided a better option in those matches than that 2/3 ruckman scenario they went with. Bell would have been much better in terms of him really impacting contests in the air AND at ground level ie added mobility.

Same thing with Watson. Why have Bower in front of Watson for all of those losing matches mid-season when Watson is clearly a far better kick than Bower and can impact a contest at a higher level. Watson had a big 2nd half of this match and it largely went unnoticed. Team selection this year has been puzzling. Of the fringe players, I thought Thornton was reasonably good tonight.

p.s I have said it before and I will say it again. The 50 metre penalty has to be eliminated from the game. There are moments of high-farce in the game and none come more farcical than when a 50 metre penalty is applied by a trigger happy umpire. 25 metres in the SANFL...that is the way to go. The 50 will cost a team a finals match and then there will be all hell to pay.

LOL'd at Bell running in and missing.

Does anyone know if Bell has run a good beep test?

How heavy is Bell?

:confused:

Bell done a 15.1 beep test which is considered Elite, and he is 95kgs.
How much does Bell look like Kouta?
Great Game by Andy Collins, well done..
Levi could be the power forward we have been looking for..
One thing i hated, was Brian Taylor calling the game, how many times does he have to say Geelong falcon Football Factory with Micky Turner, is it only me or does it annoy the crap out of others as well?

I remember Twomey looked to be a big body player and did ok (not as good a Bell) in his first game and only played 2 in total before being shipped.

:( Vale Twomey.

However I think Bell will be a different story. Twomey was a mature aged guy with a solid body yes, but I don't think he had any particular special physical attributes.

Tommy on the other hand is, what, the size of Fev? :eek: it's a bit confusing, he's listed as 187cm in some places but I've also heard him mentioned as 191cm...

Nevertheless, he's a huge lad, especially for a midfielder, and runs like the clappers. We've needed such a big unit midfielder for so long, I don't know why we haven't tried him earlier (unless he was injured)

eddy's dribble goal - lip read the guy in the brown coat behind him in the crowd !
"that was f* unbelievable". classic replay.

ctacp
curlier than a catoggio pube
Did that goal eventuate from a terrific effort from Murph to force a spillage when he was 1 against 2 bigger opponents, remember thinking at the time it was a great effort to create an opportunity for our small forwards but may be thinking of a different goal, need to rewatch.

:( Vale Twomey.

However I think Bell will be a different story. Twomey was a mature aged guy with a solid body yes, but I don't think he had any particular special physical attributes.

Tommy on the other hand is, what, the size of Fev? :eek: it's a bit confusing, he's listed as 187cm in some places but I've also heard him mentioned as 191cm...

Nevertheless, he's a huge lad, especially for a midfielder, and runs like the clappers. We've needed such a big unit midfielder for so long, I don't know why we haven't tried him earlier (unless he was injured)
He might be 191 from shoulder to shoulder....

I think the delay with his debut was they couldn't decide which player to put on long term injury list, only had about 6 to choose from...

Smurph is just elite... and he is starting to develop a hard side to himself... when that wannabe hard man Picken (a thug like his dad) tried to test out his shoulder, he gave it back to him just as tough.

Smurph went up another level last night in my eyes. We know what a player he can be but I've never been totally sure what sort of leader he would be. His media speaking is certainly nothing special :p but there's nothing wrong with that. He showed when it comes to leading on the field, he can do it. Will be our next skipper after Judd I reckon.

And yeah it was good to see him give it back to that scumbag in Picken. Bit of a pity the rest of our boys didn't really help him out but it was still good to see Murphy stand up for himself and safe to say Marc had the last laugh in the last.

It was just so refreshing to see a big bloke clunking pack marks in young Mr. Casboult. Stick him at full forward for the next couple of games. Is a real presence.

Bell looked impressive too.

How refreshing was it to see a forward who could stand up in a pack mark, outnumbered in the contest and just go at the ball like its an uncontested mark. .. He wiped out a couple of doggies packs late when the game was in the balance. .. and Bell was solid, loved his tackling (if only he'd scored that first shot). ..

Anyone got a video of Bell's spear tackle ? :)

More a coat hanger wasn't it. ..or was there another one? Great tackling from the lads, like a bull dog. ..

re- Bell - one has to wonder what is going on with the match committee. Why has it taken so long for Bell to debut? They kept Hampson & or Kreuzer in mid-season for about 6 games when it clearly wasn't working either due to injury or lack of form - when clearly Bell would have at least provided a better option in those matches than that 2/3 ruckman scenario they went with. Bell would have been much better in terms of him really impacting contests in the air AND at ground level ie added mobility.

We played the three ruckman because we didn't have a fit tall. .. How would bring Bell in have helped with that situation? Besides the Northern Blues schedule has made it hard for the MC to get a gauge on the players and Bell has really came into form in the latter part of the season, could have crucified him, if we brought him in during that streak of losses. ..

What I would have gave to have Unlucky Luke or Casbah fit earlier in the season. ..

(Log in to remove this ad.)

. .. and Bell was solid, loved his tackling (if only he'd scored that first shot). ..

More a coat hanger wasn't it. ..or was there another one? Great tackling from the lads, like a bull dog. ..

We played the three ruckman because we didn't have a fit tall. .. How would bring Bell in have helped with that situation? Besides the Northern Blues schedule has made it hard for the MC to get a gauge on the players and Bell has really came into form in the latter part of the season, could have crucified him, if we brought him in during that streak of losses. ..

What I would have gave to have Unlucky Luke or Casbah fit earlier in the season. ..

They were using one of their ruckman as a "mobile forward" though...and neither Hampson or Kreuzer were mobile enough to play key forward positions. (either due to lack of form/injuries or whatever else) .... Bell could have been a forward option or a midfield option. He would have provided MORE options than just a slow forward/ruckman.

They were using one of their ruckman as a "mobile forward" though...and neither Hampson or Kreuzer were mobile enough to play key forward positions. (either due to lack of form/injuries or whatever else) .... Bell could have been a forward option or a midfield option. He would have provided MORE options than just a slow forward/ruckman.

Impressed with Bell last night but lets not give him attributes he doesn't have, at least hasn't shown, to exercise some hindsight sniping. .. Bell's form line has been solid most of the year from what I've seen but he seemed to take a step up the last few weeks and this might actually have been the best time to blood him, the rest is guess work. ..

Loved how Bell if he didnt have or was going to recieve the ball, just blocked for the others - something we have been lacking for a while. Shows how you can have an impact without having the ball. I was excited to see him signed by the Blues after watching him in the QAFL, was one of those players that works as hard as possible off the field to be as good as possible on the field.

Bell, casbar, Mcinnes and Watson should play every game till the rest of the yr. all contributed last night. T.bird and russel pl did enough to retain there spots. Bower not so!

Warnock, Ze, robbo hopefully kruze and Hendo in the mix for next week!

Didn't Bell have stress fractures in his back at the start of the year which meant he only started playing 2s just before halfway through the year?

Well done Tommy and I'm sure mum would be proud. :thumbsu:

The kid (or should I say freight train?) looked absolutely rapt and so he should. Seems like a great type too.

Bell had a great game on debut, Collins looks and moves so much houlihan its unbelievable, yarran did quite a few good things, gibbs did some nice things, bower was ok, good to see garlett get amongst the goals finally. Watson continues to do well in the back half. Nice for Dale to get his first goal in his first senior game after the siren. Mcinnes was decent at both ends. Scotland had a good game. Betts was the matchwinner up forward, and murphy had a good game.

Duigan had an off night. Jamison was ok. Joseph was serviceable without being outstanding, Russell was ok. Armfield was ok. Brock was ok.

Yes Casbault was beaten in the ruck, but he did take some good marks and right now its what we lack from some of our big men. He should stay in the team as long as we play one of kreuzer/warnock or hampson. If he does that, then one of them may be looking for a new home before long (and hampson has 2 years left of a 3 year contract).

Thornton kicked two goals, but I dont see him suriving the return of Warnock or Kreuzer to seniors to next week. I firnly believe he wont be at Carlton next year, as evidenced by his non selection until we had no choice (and if it could have waited another week Im not unconvinced that Mitchell wouldnt be playing in his place).

People missing next week will be for injury returns, for the most part no one did anything to warrant being dumped, but thats how the cookie crumbles. Rookies and ressies get in amongst it while you can lads.

We did get thrashed in hitouts but Minson only had something like 5 hitouts to advantage out of 50+. LOL

I've always said he's more of a nullifying ruckman than a proper tapper though. Mids did well to shark though I'm sure.

Remove this Banner Ad

Autopsy Rnd 17 v Bulldogs Autopsy Thread *Merged*

Remove this Banner Ad

Back