Preview RND 18 - Carlton v Collingwood Sun 18th July 3.20PM @ MCG - Team Post #401

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Aug 26, 2004
CHANEL BOUTIQUE!
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
"Goddess"
1625969647217.png

juzz88 preview is here

INS & OUTS

Go for it!

show_image.php

Last edited by a moderator:

We’ve played injured, underdone and out of form players all year, while not rewarding games too some players that certainly are more deserving...
Jones if good is a certainty... Fisher as well...
There’s plenty that shouldn’t be playing for a few reasons but they won’t be dropped or rested...
There’s some youngsters that should have be given some games ahead of others which hasn’t and most likely still won’t happen...
Team selection integrity has been a crock of shit all year...

We’ve played injured, underdone and out of form players all year, while not rewarding games too some players that certainly are more deserving...
Jones if good is a certainty... Fisher as well...
There’s plenty that shouldn’t be playing for a few reasons but they won’t be dropped or rested...
There’s some youngsters that should have be given some games ahead of others which hasn’t and most likely still won’t happen...
Team selection integrity has been a crock of sh*t all year...

Lock in Murphy to get a jog even if he is 70%

INS:
Jones - no brainer...
Fisher - no brainer...
Honey - speed pressure tackling goalkicker...
Ramsay - accumulator, good left-peg...
Cottrell - good endurance and speed, has a crack...

OUTS:
Cripps - injured, needs to rest the ankle...
Fogarty- provides pressure but not much else atm...
Newnes - Ok backup, not the future
Setterfield - abysmal...
Martin - injured, hobbling, needs a spell, not right...
Curnow - not having much of an impact, positional...

Won’t even remotely happen but that’s the way I’d go...

Last edited:
Probably the biggest game of the year for Teague coming up - on the one hand, there is a list of serious question marks about his coaching and on the other hand he has is missing a fair bit of talent and has been all year.

My question, and I guess the question the Club is asking itself is whether the inclusion of fit players like Charlie, Cuningham, Jones, McGovern would make any significant difference to outcomes and if not - then I guess the answer is there.

The season is over as far as finals goes, if not mathematically, certainly as far as expectation goes - so all that is left is players playing or their contracts and a coach doing the same - hence the importance of the coming 'dead' rubbers.

Huge game.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Maybe some of these kids might just give us enough of a performance with some promising signs in what’s to come...

The reserves team has been decimated by injuries, particularly the longer the season has gone, with a average skilled group of top up players maybe some of these kids could possibly be suited up at senior level...

If we don’t at least give them a go then we won’t find out, we may just find out something by taking that chance, what’s too loose...

Find it strange, shouldn't pick/should be dropped player x, should reward player y, who has failed to consistently dominate at the lower levels

Hopefully, Jones, Fish, Levi are healthy

Cupboard is bare beyond that, unless we play kids, just for the sack of it

6 goal win coming up

Setterfied hasn't even been playing in VFL - so his 'form' justified selection? Don't think so. Same with Newnes when called up - his VFL form didn't justify selection. For Teague it was ( er Newnes) an experienced developed body who he has played before - but Setterfield was a serious reach to be played on a wing especially....

Agree not many in VFL are 'lighting it up' except for the bloke with the tatts and (sort of ) Honey. I don't think VFL means much when Carlton doesn't have ONE KPP playing in the side anyway.

Levi is done, fingers crossed on Jones, yeah Fish > Setterfield but doesn't answer the wing position question. Oh and fingers crossed that Cripps and Willims are able to play.

Potential nightmare game coming up.

Whilst the odds are already stacked against the current coaching group, a loss here would be absolutely catastrophic.

Collingwood are deplorable in 2021.

In: LOB (a real life wingman who can actually play the position correctly), Jones (if healthy), Fisher (should be an automatic inclusion if fit, always)

Out: Setterfield (he's only ever going to make it as an inside midfielder and his intensity is disgusting currently), Williamson (thought he battled hard yesterday and he has a future as a defender with us), Fogarty (battling hard but has lost his zip and impact from earlier in the year, where are the chase down tackles we saw?)

Let's get Ed Curnow to 200 and then introduce a youngster on the flank, such as Honey/Kemp/Ramsay.

Let's give Durdin an opportunity and rest Eddie at some stage in the last 6 weeks, who should be going around again as a part-time player/assistant coach. Owies and Martin will need a rest at some stage too.

Probably the biggest game of the year for Teague coming up - on the one hand, there is a list of serious question marks about his coaching and on the other hand he has is missing a fair bit of talent and has been all year.

My question, and I guess the question the Club is asking itself is whether the inclusion of fit players like Charlie, Cuningham, Jones, McGovern would make any significant difference to outcomes and if not - then I guess the answer is there.

The season is over as far as finals goes, if not mathematically, certainly as far as expectation goes - so all that is left is players playing or their contracts and a coach doing the same - hence the importance of the coming 'dead' rubbers.

Huge game.

I agree. If we lose this one then Teague will be gone imo. Fair or unfair, there's no way he's going to survive I reckon.

OUTS: Martin, Setterfield, Newnes, Curnow
INS: Honey, Ramsay, Fisher, Jones

We're getting nothing from Martin and Setterfield. Newnes and Curnow are not going to be part of our future. We're not making finals and they haven't been in great form either.

Time to blood some of the younger kids who have at least shown a bit at reserves level. Wouldn't mind seeing Carrol and Kemp get a gig soon too provided their form warrants it.

Find it strange, shouldn't pick/should be dropped player x, should reward player y, who has failed to consistently dominate at the lower levels

Hopefully, Jones, Fish, Levi are healthy

Cupboard is bare beyond that, unless we play kids, just for the sack of it

6 goal win coming up

My argument here is players have floors and ceilings. In theory a player who is a top 10 pick should have a higher ceiling than a rookie/recycled player.

We seem to prioritise testing the likes of Cotteral, Newnes etc over talented junior kids.

Setterfied hasn't even been playing in VFL - so his 'form' justified selection? Don't think so. Same with Newnes when called up - his VFL form didn't justify selection. For Teague it was ( er Newnes) an experienced developed body who he has played before - but Setterfield was a serious reach to be played on a wing especially....

Agree not many in VFL are 'lighting it up' except for the bloke with the tatts and (sort of ) Honey. I don't think VFL means much when Carlton doesn't have ONE KPP playing in the side anyway.

Levi is done, fingers crossed on Jones, yeah Fish > Setterfield but doesn't answer the wing position question. Oh and fingers crossed that Cripps and Willims are able to play.

Potential nightmare game coming up.

Picking Setters and continuing to play him on a wing is a head scratcher, rotating 1 Cripps, Kennedy, Setters forward is a better option as all 3 can't play at centre bounces at the same time.

Newnes, when playing at VFL level found more and used the pill better, more consistently than any of the kids at that level

My argument here is players have floors and ceilings. In theory a player who is a top 10 pick should have a higher ceiling than a rookie/recycled player.

We seem to prioritise testing the likes of Cotteral, Newnes etc over talented junior kids.

Disagree with the theory. Will Brodie, tauted by many as a top 3 pick, always had a limited ceiling, given his attributes, as such he has been surpassed by many within the same draft. You don't reward the lowest numbered draft pick, you reward output

Picking Setters and continuing to play him on a wing is a head scratcher, rotating 1 Cripps, Kennedy, Setters forward is a better option as all 3 can't play at centre bounces at the same time.

Newnes, when playing at VFL level found more and used the pill better, more consistently than any of the kids at that level

Disagree with the theory. Will Brodie, tauted by many as a top 3 pick, always had a limited ceiling, given his attributes, as such he has been surpassed by many within the same draft. You don't reward the lowest numbered draft pick, you reward output

So let's just trade all our early picks and play rookie players?

We basically do that anyway. So may as well right?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back