Preview Rnd 22 - Carlton v Hawthorn @ Etihad Friday 19th Aug @ 7.40pm

Remove this Banner Ad

{We will use this preview until the designated one shows up. Still early doors - ODN} Thanks to Wookie.

Wookies Carlton v Hawthorn - The Unofficial Preview
(Ive got the St Kilda game lol)

What with there being no preview yet, I figured Id have a crack at it.

blueshawks.png

Date: Friday, 19th August
Time: 7.40pm
Venue: Etihad Stadium
Note: This is a Carlton home game
Tickets: Ticketmaster

TV:
seven.png
- 8.30 Melb, Adelaide, Perth (all delayed)
fox.png
- 7.30 LIVE Fox Main Event Channel - Brisbane, Sydney
Southern Cross (Tasmania) - 7.30pm LIVE

Head to head (Total): Blues 157 - Hawks 55
head to head (last 5 matches: Blues 0, Hawks 5 (HAwthorn going for 8 straight wins over the blues this round)
Head to head (Etihad): Blues 2 - Hawks 4

Form:
Blues: LLWWWW
Hawks: LWWWWW

Last Time We met:
Carlton 8.12.60
Hawthorn 16.14.110

[youtube]UIQG5IQBcqo[/youtube]

Brief Analysis:

This swomewhat annual fixture is yet another of a string of matches that both sides MUST win to keep alive their top 4 chances, Carlton especially, and hunting their 5th win in a row since god only knows when. Hawthorn are coming off an absolute flogging of Port Adelaide, while Carlton are coming off a workman like win over Fremantle.

The Blues have in recent times been unable to keep Franklin and Roughhead quiet, but with Roughhead out, its a little bit easier for the Blues defence will likely fall to Henderson to try to shut Franklin down. He is ably assisted by the Blues defensive units, who may expect their stalwart leader, Michel Jamison, back for this match. Without him, it falls to Thornton (badly beaten almost every time by whatever Hawk he has played on in the past) - who is expected to play despite injuring his cheek, and the twin rocks of defense in Laidler and Duigan, with the possible inclusion of Jordan Russell who was named in the Bullants best this weekend (and likely to replace the out of sorts Davies if Jamison doesnt). The possibility of Chris Yarran playing on Cyril Rioli could be worth the price of a match ticket alone, although Joseph is in good form and may get the nod here.

The respective midfield battles are expected to be awesome. Judd, Murphy, Gibbs, Scotland, Simpson, Robinson are all having stellar years. Sportsbet have already declared Judd unbeatable for the Brownlow, while Judd says Murphy is likely to get it. For the Hawks, Mitchell and Lewis are both having great years. I'd expect Gibbs to get the job on Hodge - this ahs the added bonus of adding his skills to the Carlton forward line.

The Blues have one of the fastest moving forward movements in the league, I would argue that its probably the quickest with Betts, Garlett and Walker all looking at kicking 50 goals+ this year, which is something of a rarity. The possible inclusion of Jarad Waite, as well as Kreuzer adds some potential marking power but even without that the Blues lead the league for marks and goals inside 50 in 2011.

The Team Stats

On Stats alone this is going to be a relatively close match scorewise, but Carlton should domiante at the clearances, and with the way that works lately, the hawks may find the Blues forward movements irrepressible. On the other hand, the Blues need to kick straighter.

Disposal: Hawthorn #1 (7594), Carlton #2 (7534)
Contested: Carlton #2 (3009), Hawthorn #9 (2742) - FYI Essendon are #1
Marks: Hawthorn #1 (2053), Carlton #2 (1950)
Hitouts: Carlton #2 (854), Hawthorn #8 (764) - FY WCE are #1, but I was surprised to see us at #2
Clearances: Carlton #1 (821), Hawthorn #8 (715)
Tackles: Carlton #1 (1463), Hawthorn #8 (1291)
Goals: Carlton #3 (303), Hawthorn #3 (303) - FYI Collingwood and Geelong are #1 and #2

Conclusion:

With all the above in mind, Id call this the closest match we'll have seen between the two sides for years, Cartons clearances and forward pressure, against the Hawks forwards, and I predict carlton by 15 pts. (More of they can kick straight)

For those with short memories, and longing for the glories of yester year, this is for you:

[youtube]SuLrfWsPERs[/youtube]

Re: Carlton vs. Hawthorn @ Etihad. Friday 19th. Aug. @ 7.40 p.m.

Played forward mostly and looked solid- our backline seemed to cope, Davies had a nice game and looked more comfortable, hopefully we won't miss Thornton too much.

If thornton misses, Setanta comes in. This is one of those games we MUST win if we want to be serious about the finals. Our midfield and forwards are good enough..defensively we lack.

Yarran on Rioli could be epic, but on Josephs performance today, it would seem hes likely to get that job. Henderson gets Franklin - and that will be interesting enough. Gibbs on Hodge maybe - and that would also be one to watch.

Ratten said Thornton might be ok for next week. Ambulance were called only for precautionary reasons.

In: Waite (if fit)
Out: Thornton (if injured)

In: Waite (if fit) (Setanta)
Out: Touhy (probably unlucky if Waite is fit) (Thornton if inj.)

However if T-Bird is right to go, and Waite is still injured - no change

Obviously if Waite is right to go and Thornton isn't, than it warrants one change

This game is sold out in terms of seating yes? Does that still mean I can get into the ground via my membership and resort to standing room on 1st floor?
Nope. No general admission.

This game is sold out in terms of seating yes? Does that still mean I can get into the ground via my membership and resort to standing room on 1st floor?

Not sold out, tickets still available (just checked). You can upgrade your membership and only pay the booking fee to get a seat on level 3.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Been waiting on this game:cool: should be an absolute ******** ripper.
50k+ inside the dome this friday night......

IN: WAITE
OUT:?????

*Wasn't Jamo pencilled in to return for this game? or have i missed a set back or something?:confused:

Been waiting on this game:cool: should be an absolute ******** ripper.
50k+ inside the dome this friday night......

IN: WAITE
OUT:?????

*Wasn't Jamo pencilled in to return for this game? or have i missed a set back or something?:confused:
Will most likely be returning this week. At what level is unknown.

Put my balls on the line here,

We've got a better midfield setup, our backs are more stable.

Baggers by 12 points.

There, I said it.
if you say so champ, you coming up against the best grunt midfield in the comp and teams have been saying that about our backline all year, when are you going to learn?.

if you say so champ, you coming up against the best grunt midfield in the comp and teams have been saying that about our backline all year, when are you going to learn?.

It's their board mate, let em go...

IMO it should be a ripper, We have traditionally struggled against quality small forwards.. Having said that our talls have kicked big bags against the Blues in recent times. Midfield battle will be awesome!!!

Yep, it's on.

Baggers a goal and a bit.

Grow your hair long hippies.

No, you think you do, Hawks think everyon;e 'scared' of them, North did pretty well against you a young midfield that seriously pushed you.

Pretty even game, on Friday, let;s see how it pans out, Blues by 15 IMO unbiased opinion of course

Just reckon we are better all over the ground, we look better,

I;m with numbers, no plums, but gonig with 12 to 15 points,
name 1 area of the ground you are better, if you say ruck you havent watched the bailey-hale combination since it started. Midfield? mitchell, hodge, lewis, sewell (juddy look out) shiels (going to be a deadset gun), throw burgoyne and rioli in there, you would have to have an unbelievable midfield to beat that, having said that its 50-50 lol. We are the better team we just have to produce it on the night. Just a bit of banter btw guys its going to be a cracker of a match.

Links to today's match in my sig.

To this match.

IN: Jamison, Russell
OUT: Davies, Thornton (only if his face falls off :S)

We might see a Cyril vs. Yarran match up - is the world ready for it?!?!

Links to today's match in my sig.

To this match.

IN: Jamison, Russell
OUT: Davies, Thornton (only if his face falls off :S)

We might see a Cyril vs. Yarran match up - is the world ready for it?!?!

A new wind, of Goodness, is here. :thumbsu::thumbsu:

The Goodness

name 1 area of the ground you are better, if you say ruck you havent watched the bailey-hale combination since it started. Midfield? mitchell, hodge, lewis, sewell (juddy look out) shiels (going to be a deadset gun), throw burgoyne and rioli in there, you would have to have an unbelievable midfield to beat that, having said that its 50-50 lol. We are the better team we just have to produce it on the night.

Judd (watch out Sewell LOL) , Murphy, Robinson, Gibbs, Ellard throw in
Yarran (going to be a deadset gun) et al

Our small forwards are gonna create some headaches...

You been watching Carlton??? , I watched your North game,

Feel the Hawks are suss down back, against a quality forward line....

No, you think you do, Hawks think everyon;e 'scared' of them, North did pretty well against you a young midfield that seriously pushed you.

Pretty even game, on Friday, let;s see how it pans out, Blues by 15 IMO unbiased opinion of course
they did the same to you guys the week before, we always battle to beat north they are a bogy team for us. In all honesty it will be a hum dinger, if we are slightly off our game you guys will win no doubting that.

Remove this Banner Ad

Preview Rnd 22 - Carlton v Hawthorn @ Etihad Friday 19th Aug @ 7.40pm

Remove this Banner Ad

Back