Review Rnd9 : Review/Rant/Roast megathread

Remove this Banner Ad

Higgins kicked three goals but was constantly second to the ball for the entire game.

Some players just can't do anything right.

Ves had a shocker

Yeah.. as if he'd go and do his hammy like that. What a spud.

I'm as disappointed as anyone, but we are a young side and came up against the reigning premiers who still have plenty of class.

Bartel did nothing until a couple of token highlights in the last.

Pods and Hawkins were nullified.

Libba and Wallis collected almost 50 touches between them. Griffen was tagged but still got a fair bit of the ball.

At least Jones was marking the ball tonight.

Stay positive- we know we aren't going anywhere this year. The sky is not falling.

Good honest effort that lacked polish, pretty much exactly what I expected.

Jones and Roughead had a crack which was good to see.

Missed so many sitters in the 2nd half :( Looking at you Jones and Roughead.

Pearce did not much, but we gave him a sniff of the big time, he can bank that and go back to Willi now.

Wallis was really good. Was worried for him last year. Not worried any more.

Sherman...

Griffen well held. Or carrying an injury?

Murph was caned by Johnson.

Cooney needs to take on the opposition more - too many skied kicks.

Dont think Roughead/Jones will ever be our forward line solution. 1 goal between our two important talls. At this point anything is worth trying, we can do little wrong with Campbell + Hill as our forwards.

I agree, Roughy should be a back up ruck. But tonight if they kicked straight they would have had six between them.

I would give my left knacker for a fairdinkum forward. Zephi is so far off it at the moment, the endeavor and intent is there, but he is just so far of the pace its not funny.

Anyone else think this game would have been tailor made for Panos?

Thought Vez was having a crack thought Sherman should have been subbed.

If he is not already, Libba is going to be a star.

gotta laugh at how many Geelong supporters think we never had a chance

Yep, ridiculous. "We were always in control" - you've gotta wonder if the crap sitting in their shorts was controlled :p

Higgins played well. Was one of our best. Needs to be in front a bit more, but for the most part he was very good.

there is plenty of upside believe me ! as another poster said, if Roughy and Jones kicked straight , they would have had 6 goals between them !

The main thing is Macca has put forward his intentions about the style of game he wants to implement ! and we are doing it quite well considering we are not even half way through the season...

All i can say is i love the style of game compared to Eade and Wallace's Down hill skiing type style with no emphasis on defense ! I would much rather watch one on one contested hard footy than that shit in the past !

Look out when it all clicks thats all i can say !:thumbsu:

Guys are a bit harsh all over the place here. We matched it with the 2 raining grand finalists this year, to fall short with a rebuilding forward line and still a very young team. I think we all should be pretty happy with those 2 performances as in previous prelim final years, we were smashed by these two teams.

Love what Macca is doing with the boys, won the contested ball again tonight, however, one point, ok Macca. The contested ball is good. Now, let's go over to the forward line, and work out a few different things please. Get that right, we are becoming a new force. Only this time around, with this current side, we are getting the basics right. Winning contested ball, which we haven't focused on with previously coached sides. :thumbsu: Positive year so far in my book.

Had 6 shots on goal betwen them for 1.5 All of them gettable.

Its just weird seeing professional footballers miss shots directly in front 20m out. Under 12s would nail those shots at a higher rate :p

I was hoping Skinner would light it up considering he was coming in fresh in the fourth, but I was too optomistic :(

there is plenty of upside believe me ! as another poster said, if Roughy and Jones kicked straight , they would have had 6 goals between them !

The main thing is Macca has put forward his intentions about the style of game he wants to implement ! and we are doing it quite well considering we are not even half way through the season...

All i can say is i love the style of game compared to Eade and Wallace's Down hill skiing type style with no emphasis on defense ! I would much rather watch one on one contested hard footy than that shit in the past !

Look out when it all clicks thats all i can say !:thumbsu:

Just think we are doing it the opposite way around this time. Get the contested stuff and defensive stuff right first and then work on taking the game on. I think with Eade we did it the other way, take the game on and then work on contested defensive stuff. In 2009 we were very good with contested ball and our defense.

Had 6 shots on goal betwen them for 1.5 All of them gettable.

the fact is they kicked 1 goal, its not as if its a one off either which would make it forgivable because both are shocking kicks and it will continue to happen in the future.

vs Cats Jones + Roughead 1 goal
vs GC Jones 1 goal
vs Norf Roughead 0 goals
vs Cwood Jones + Roughead 0 goals
vs GWS Jones + Roughead 1 goals
vs Melb Jones + Roughead 2 goals
vs StK Jones + Roughead 1 goal
vs Ade Jones + Roughead 3 goals
vs WC Jones + Roughead 1 goal

Its not as if I have been impatient, 9 rounds is ample time to show something. this combo does not work, that kind of history for our 2 KPF forwards is unacceptable. I rather take the risk to play hill + campbell and forego the 1-3 goal roughead/jones provide, at least this way we wont die wondering. If Campbell/Hill doesnt work out we can always revert back.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Geez :(

You couldn't fault the effort of any of our players tonight. Unfortunately we just didn't have the class of players to grab the game by the scruff of the neck when it was our chance.

Poor kicking for goal cost us - Jones and Roughead obviously have the bear the brunt of this, but they at least presented well, and some of Jones' marking was superb.

Mitch Wallis was sensational - so pleased at how his year is going.

Really we just couldn't grab the goal we needed to hit the lead, and they just had better polish and class when it mattered.

What I'm pleased with is that our efforts against Collingwood and Geelong have both been super. We are a side in transition and have taken it right up to them in both games.

Disappointing but a good effort and a good learning curve.

Gia and Higgins did well to keep us in the game in the last, :

Higgins kicked three goals but was constantly second to the ball for the entire game. He was beaten on the lead with his opponent rebounding out of defense and launching a counter attack. It killed us every time and appeared to be a weakness Geelong aggressively exposed. He needs to be held accountable for this because it had a big impact on the game.

Oh man...

Didn't really know what to expect from this board these days, but I'm so happy someone [that'd be you Rocketsurgery] has some idea...

I spend most of the game pondering who was the most embarassing, Gia or Higgins...
...figured Gia at least knows he has zero impact (which admittedly isn't great body language on the field), but Higgins seems to think he's this gun that people have been touting him as for 3 years...and feels the 'right' to abuse people around him accordingly??

Seriously. Tory Dickson, a 5 AFL game player is better than them both in every aspect of the game.

Then for someone to give credit, and in the same post get frustrated at a forward who does his job (Motlop), and a 2 game player (Skinner), when at least he still has the 'P' word. [Potential]

Higgins' 'P' ran out about 3 years ago...not so co-incidentally along with his workrate. (Go on, blame injuries.)

Unbelievably ordinary game by both those guys...

...and that's not to make excuses for Jones/Roughead missing easy shots.

Overall I think we have to be happy with our direction, but as of now I think both Gia and Higgins 13 games left in them. [At this Club of course.]

And just for prosterity, here is that facebook post from the idiot on the Western Bulldogs page.

really disappointed that skinner is starting sub, hope liam jones breaks his leg with in the first five minutes and zephy gets subbed on

Really glad that didn't happen. Liam was pretty good for most of the games and the only thing that let him down were his shots at goal. And even then, one was a toughy from the pocket.

And now for a different facebook idiot

Roughead how can u hit the post from 20metres out u dnt deserve da jumper mate u n jones needa run in the 2nds I think...... Skinner should have a full game next week n c how he goes coz hes got alot of talent mate!!!!!

Once more, the only negative that there was about the games of our two tall forwards is that they sprayed some kickable goals.

l thought Pearces first game was one of the worst l have seen.To all the big footy posters who react with wanting to put kids up who arent ready you reap what you so. His opponents collectively kicked 5 goals. Ves had a shocker and who ever was tagging Johnson they can come out of the shed now...the game is over. Overall most did ok and they are showing heaps of spirit. Just lack class. Geelong are only a shadow of last few years imo.

Thought Pearce comments particularly harsh. Motlop will kick a lot of goals on very good players. Got caught ball watching a couple of times but showed endeavour and decent skills. Where else do you want blokes to learn the speed of the game. McCartney is teaching him and is willing to be burnt a bit in the process. And if you had any clues at all you would know that no one tagged Johnson.

Guys are a bit harsh all over the place here. We matched it with the 2 raining grand finalists this year, to fall short with a rebuilding forward line and still a very young team. I think we all should be pretty happy with those 2 performances as in previous prelim final years, we were smashed by these two teams.

Love what Macca is doing with the boys, won the contested ball again tonight, however, one point, ok Macca. The contested ball is good. Now, let's go over to the forward line, and work out a few different things please. Get that right, we are becoming a new force. Only this time around, with this current side, we are getting the basics right. Winning contested ball, which we haven't focused on with previously coached sides. :thumbsu: Positive year so far in my book.

Agree with this, those two losses still hurt though. We've had the chance to beat both teams.

Oh man...

Didn't really know what to expect from this board these days, but I'm so happy someone [that'd be you Rocketsurgery] has some idea...

I spend most of the game pondering who was the most embarassing, Gia or Higgins...
...figured Gia at least knows he has zero impact (which admittedly isn't great body language on the field), but Higgins seems to think he's this gun that people have been touting him as for 3 years...and feels the 'right' to abuse people around him accordingly??

Seriously. Tory Dickson, a 5 AFL game player is better than them both in every aspect of the game.

Then for someone to give credit, and in the same post get frustrated at a forward who does his job (Motlop), and a 2 game player (Skinner), when at least he still has the 'P' word. [Potential]

Higgins' 'P' ran out about 3 years ago...not so co-incidentally along with his workrate. (Go on, blame injuries.)

Overall I think we have to be happy with our direction, but as of now I think both Gia and Higgins 13 games left in them. [At this Club of course.]

Take Gia and Higgins out and we lose by 50 points. They just can't do anything right by some people...

...figured Gia at least knows he has zero impact (which admittedly isn't great body language on the field),

I agree that Dickson certainly has a footy brain and works his arse off and does the hard things, the 1 % ers which Gia especially doesnt do !

certainly has a lot of upside to come, and i think If macca had any brains, This would be Gia's last season

Oh man...

So would you be happier with the game in 2010 when we got smashed by 101 points? Seriously, pay credit to the team that took it up to Geelong tonight

So would you be happier with the game in 2010 when we got smashed by 101 points? Seriously, pay credit to the team that took it up to Geelong tonight, Clown

Good to see your enjoying watching the boys again TD

Take Gia and Higgins out and we lose by 50 points. They just can't do anything right by some people...
Bulldust!
We can only afford to play one of these guys in the same team.
Watch the replay and see how often they look for the cheap kick or 'cheat' out the back. Never/rarely in front. It cost us big time

Remove this Banner Ad

Review Rnd9 : Review/Rant/Roast megathread

Remove this Banner Ad

Back